DK Custom PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics

How is this filter (pictured) as far as knee clearance compared to the stock air filter? I like the 3​ theme. Is this a filter that you offer on your site? I looked, but did not see it.

Attachments

• DK Air Filter.jpg
    DK Air Filter.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 518
How is this filter (pictured) as far as knee clearance compared to the stock air filter? I like the 3​ theme. Is this a filter that you offer on your site? I looked, but did not see it.

It sticks out just a tad more than the stock, around 1/2". It is Not low profile like the 587's! :laugh:

It is not on the site yet, but will be soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the black with contrast cut also. The only issue might be getting my short legs past it to the floorboards.
Nice work!
Scott Smith

With floorboard extensions it is no problem. Only time I feel it is when I go to pinch the tank with my legs in the twistys.

Kevin

Another week and not many pics. We have gotten a lot of work done, just not many pics to show for it.

We've decided to make some custom billet floorboards for the rider and the passenger. They will be rubber mounted, similar to the factory.

We were taking our final measurements and test fittings today.

Floorboard%20Fitting_zpsmzzcsech.jpg

Pass%20Floorboard%20Fitting_zpsojxbjfzj.jpg

We were just using some plain steel blanks today. Next week we hope to get the computer files to the CNC operator, then it will be a 3-4 weeks getting them cut, machined & finished.

What do you think of having side markers and turn signals in the lowers? I think I like it.

Lower%20White_zpso2nr6ycp.jpg

Lower%20Amber_zpsuuwvoeh8.jpg

It was snowing all day, and we did not want to go outside and get pics from a distance, but it looks like it puts out some nice light, helping visibility from the sides.

We also got the fairing vents glowing really nicely.

This weekend, after it warms up a bit, I'll be taking it outside after dark and getting some pics. :)

Kevin

Today I got out and rode some.

Here are a few pics of the lower fairing lights.

Time will tell if they hold up to the heat! I hope they do, cause I really like how they look!

Lower%20Fairing%20Light%201_zpswtcmkfub.jpg

They kick the light out onto the ground, plus are very visible from the side.

Lower%20Fairing%20Light%202_zpsibl0qihd.jpg

You can click HERE to see a short video, sorry it's so shaky. It shows the lower lights blinking, along with the Stealth Fender RBT's.

Here's a shot from behind of the Stealth Fender Run-Brake-Turn lights. I like them. But I have decided to put some mud flaps on. So I will be integrating these lights INTO the mud flaps. I think they will look even better...both day and night.

Stealth%20Fender%20RBT_zpszy3nrdwg.jpg

I completely forgot to get pics of the vent lights while outside. Ended up taking them later on inside.

These things have given me a bit of a headache...but I finally have them how I envisioned them. I wanted the entire vent to glow with light, AND, I did not want to see individual LED lights....just a glow of light.

Other considerations were I did not want to block the air from flowing thru the vent, nor did I want any feedback to me of blinding light thru the vent.

I am really happy with how they turned out!

Vent%20Running%203_zpsjdyhzgly.jpg

Close-up-

Vent%20Running_zpsrilfgxh0.jpg

Close up with turn signal going-

Vent%20Blink_zpsrfwyghje.jpg

Another shot with the Softail backrest blocking the headlight, for a better view of the vent lights.

Vent%20Running%202_zpsdb5nwnzr.jpg

Neither the lower fairing lights, nor the vent lights are very visible during the day, but come dusk and night, they do their job of making me more visible from the sides and front.

The Stealth Fender RBT's and very visible during the day.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

On another front- One of the things I was testing today was our idea of reducing air onto the rider, while at the same time pushing more air onto the motor.

In the picture below you can barely see something above the lower fairing, to the front of the gas tank.

This worked very well. It redirected almost 100% of the air coming up the front of the tank, and it redirected a good amount of the air that comes between the fairing and the lowers.

This is good news for the rider...reduces buffeting and cold air onto the knees. It is also really good news for the engine, because that redirected air is now being pushed right onto the engine.

Fork deflectors (fangs) and fork baffles are great for keeping the cold & buffeting off the rider...but the downside, and why I don't use them, is that they also block air from cooling the engine.

1-24-16%20Ride_zpsa8vv6zjp.jpg

After riding today with the cruise on, and holding my hand down to see what the air was doing (yeah, a wind tunnel would be way better!) I have a few ideas on how to cut & shape these so they will work even better.

So we'll be testing a few more variations before I settle on the final and get them powder coated.

Much more to come over the next several months!

Kevin

Kevin, on post #86, showing the LED lights in the mud flap..... is your mud flap HD or another vendor? If you are installing the LED's on the HD mud flap I would be interested. The more lights the better. Thanks DJ

Kevin, on post #86, showing the LED lights in the mud flap..... is your mud flap HD or another vendor? If you are installing the LED's on the HD mud flap I would be interested. The more lights the better. Thanks DJ

In this pic-

Stealth%20Fender%20RBT_zpszy3nrdwg.jpg

The LED's are mounted to the tire side of the bottom of the fenders, with some special brackets that we made. They are not visible when the lights are off.

There are no mud flaps on the TG at this time.

I did pick up some Kury mud flaps, and we're working on a way to integrate some LED's right into the mud flaps. We'll see how it turns out.

Kevin

So we spent another 6 hours last week on the TG and don't have one picture to show for it. :icon_eek:

We have so many things in different stages-

• Different rack for Tour-Pak...still not done perfecting the design.

• Working on the fitment and rubber mounting for the billet floorboard inserts (rider and passenger). I think we have that pretty well nailed down.

• BUT, we have not come up with a good design for what we want to cut in the billet. (Ideas, drawings, thoughts, welcomed! :) )

• Mary finished making up a safety tether out of para-cord, but the Tour-Pak is stored away until we get the new mounting rack done.

• Getting close on deciding which Air Cleaner to go with.

• We're planning on installing some raked tree's from Randy. Waiting on those. We played with the idea of a different front wheel. Nixed that idea.

• Got an extended front fender trim/mud flap from Richard. :) Waiting on warranty replacement front fender before installing.

• Working on modifying some Kury rear fender mud flaps.

• Going to install a drink holder for Mary, but it is going on the Tour Pak when we reinstall it.

• Going to put new highway pegs on, but can't go there til we decide on a floorboard design.

• Got a new brake pedal coming in...that is one thing we can do as soon as it gets here. :)

• Still testing/changing/testing the design of the wind deflectors.

• Need to get some shorty antennae for the TP.

• Researching if we can get a smoked out lens for the front fender. If anyone has any leads on this, would be appreciated.

• Also looking at low profile (possible smoked out) rear fender tail light set up. Any leads on that would be appreciated too. :)

Well that's about it for right now. Progress is being made, just not very visible right now. :)

Kevin

We planned to do a lot more this week than we ended up doing. Got distracted by some sunny weather and a new shop near us. He has a dyno for Trikes and we rode over and got acquainted.

I think he'll be our new go-to guy when we need to put a bike or trike on the dyno to test out new parts! ThumbUp

While we were there we pulled Devin's Street Glide up on the Dyno and did a few pulls. 112 ft lbs of torque...and That is the reason he can blow by me like I'm standing still when I'm doing 80 mph. :laugh:

Since we took the Long way there and the Long way back, we did get in some fun riding, but had little time left to work on the TG project.

We had already made up some LED's that were the proper length for the mud flaps..so we did do a little mocking up to verify everything, and measure how long to make the wires.

We started with these stock Kury Mud Flaps-

KuryMudFlap_zpskan1qnke.jpg

We then removed the two chrome ribs in the flap.

Here is a pic of the back of the flaps. Upper left one shows the plate with the two chrome ribs. Lower right shows the new curved plate that we made to hold the curved form of the flap, and to give the LED's a back to stick against.

New%20Backs%20for%20Mud%20Flaps_zpsfyypo3or.jpg

Last pic is the show side of the mud flap. The LED's have not been affixed to the plate we made, they are not curved yet.

LEDs%20for%20Mud%20Flaps_zpsw1ag3xwi.jpg

Next week we'll make the wiring, affix the LED's to the flap backing and get them installed.

I thinks it's going to be better than originally envisioned! :)

Kevin

I can't wait to see what you've come up with as far as the wind deflectors go. I don't really want them for deflecting wind off my body necessarily, but I would like them for the channeling of the air onto the engine. Anything to lower the temp a few degrees is what I'm after.

BTW, any news on developing an oil cooler yet?

Kury Mud Flaps

Kevin, on my '11 Tri I installed the H-D mud flaps. So, after you install wiring and complete your testing will you be selling these as a complete kit or just LED? Thanks DJ

I can't wait to see what you've come up with as far as the wind deflectors go. I don't really want them for deflecting wind off my body necessarily, but I would like them for the channeling of the air onto the engine. Anything to lower the temp a few degrees is what I'm after.

BTW, any news on developing an oil cooler yet?

We are now on our 5th version of the wind deflectors. They're getting a bit better each version. Can't say this will be the final version....but we're getting closer. :) Three things we're taking into consideration- less wind on the rider/passenger, more wind on the engine & aesthetics.

Oil cooler and oil filter relocation parts are scheduled to be powder coated this week. :)

Kevin, on my '11 Tri I installed the H-D mud flaps. So, after you install wiring and complete your testing will you be selling these as a complete kit or just LED? Thanks DJ

That's a possibility, but we still are just "thinking"/ hoping it will be a mod we like...until we have it installed and look at it during the day and night, we're not even sure we'll like it.

We have a lot of ideas, and many of them turn out good or great, but some just end up in a pile because they did not work out how we thought they would...but I gotta say, I am liking this one so far, and can't see any problems with it...but that is what testing is for. :)

Kevin

We planned to do a lot more this week than we ended up doing. Got distracted by some sunny weather and a new shop near us. He has a dyno for Trikes and we rode over and got acquainted.

I think he'll be our new go-to guy when we need to put a bike or trike on the dyno to test out new parts! ThumbUp

We started with these stock Kury Mud Flaps-

Next week we'll make the wiring, affix the LED's to the flap backing and get them installed.

I thinks it's going to be better than originally envisioned! :)

Kevin

Any chance you'd be thinking of doing the same thing to the HD mud flaps? Not looking to put that chrome on the back of my bike - But really like the look....

Smoked Lens for Front Fender

• Researching if we can get a smoked out lens for the front fender. If anyone has any leads on this, would be appreciated.

The only one I can find for a '15 Tri is through Custom Dynamics
Front Fender Tips for '14 and Newer HD Touring
Fits: Ultra Classic, Electra Glide, and Road King Families
Direct replacement for front fender OEM Light or decorative piece (Road King)
Choice or Amber or White LEDs
Choice of Clear, Smoke, or Amber Lens
Choice of Chrome or Gloss Black Finish
Item : GEN-FT-LED
$94.95

It doesn't Specifically say for a Tri, but I am pretty sure (and correct me if I am wrong), but the '14 and newer Ultra and Electra have the same front fender.

Any chance you'd be thinking of doing the same thing to the HD mud flaps? Not looking to put that chrome on the back of my bike - But really like the look....

Not sure that the HD brand mud flap will work the same way as the Kury. But if all goes well with what we're working on, then I think it will be transferable to the HD flaps in a similar form.

$94.95

It doesn't Specifically say for a Tri, but I am pretty sure (and correct me if I am wrong), but the '14 and newer Ultra and Electra have the same front fender.

Thank you! ThumbUp I saw they also have the low profile smoked rear fender lights. :)

Kevin

$94.95

Unlike the 13" and older, you can no longer just change the lens on the front fender. Unwilling to pay a min. of $100 for a Smoke lens assembly - I used vinyl - turned out great. I love a good Hack - lol
Lens (1).jpgLens (3).jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the Extended Skirt for the Front Fender that NHBAGGER sent us. :)

It is made of polished stainless steel. It still has the protective wrap on it.

FrontFenderFlap1_zpscfxmkoca.jpg

Here's the other side...not polished. It is about 2" longer than the stock and will go in place of the stock one.

FrontFenderFlap2_zpspvvj7ieo.jpg

Thank you Richard!!! ThumbUp

Today we got the prototype mud flaps installed and wired up (and silicone sealed)-

MudFlapInstall_zpsvona4pnh.jpg

Lights out -

MudFlapLitUp_zps6fnmtkdz.jpg

Lights back on -

MudFlapLitUp2_zpszkwxekpn.jpg

I am super happy with how they look. Turned out even better than I expected. :)

Over the next few weeks I will be trying to break them. I don't see any reason why the will fail, but a bunch of miles, including some of gravel, rain, and maybe some snow, will tell the story.

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike the 13" and older, you can no longer just change the lens on the front fender. Unwilling to pay a min. of $100 for a Smoke lens assembly - I used vinyl - turned out great. I love a good Hack - lol
View attachment 33310View attachment 33311

Yeah, I found them...but was squirming at the price a bit. Your's turned out nicely. What vinyl did you use, and is it the stock bulb still?

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png