HD heated grips

Oct 24, 2016
New York
Hey all. Just the other day I had the dealership install a set of HD Airflow black heated grips part # 56100358. On the ride home, I could not get them to work. I am assuming that I am not positioning the dial correctly. Is there a user guide available? I don't know where to position the '0', which I presume is off, as a starting point. If I twist the top of the dial toward me, until it stops, and I can see the '0', am I to assume that is off? But if it is, then the top of the dial doesn't twist away from me to get the number 6 to the same stopping point. It will only turn until number 3. The dealership is 'shut down' until further notice, by the Governor's order, due to the COVID-19, so I can't inquire there. Thank you for any input.

Kevin

grips

Hey all. Just the other day I had the dealership install a set of HD Airflow black heated grips part # 56100358. On the ride home, I could not get them to work. I am assuming that I am not positioning the dial correctly. Is there a user guide available? I don't know where to position the '0', which I presume is off, as a starting point. If I twist the top of the dial toward me, until it stops, and I can see the '0', am I to assume that is off? But if it is, then the top of the dial doesn't twist away from me to get the number 6 to the same stopping point. It will only turn until number 3. The dealership is 'shut down' until further notice, by the Governor's order, due to the COVID-19, so I can't inquire there. Thank you for any input.

Kevin

try going to the harley davidson parts and acessory site then go to the install instructions. That should tell you

I have them on my 2016 TG. 0 is off and 6 is all the way on. If you can't get it to go past 3 there is probably an issue with the install. I did have to replace the fuse this year, but they have worked fine since then.

Kevin

Reactions: MDO
I have never had heated grips and as such can't help you. I am sure some member in this forum will respond. Below is the link to the install instructions for the grips. Hopefully they might help you.

BTW, stay safe up there and good luck to all the people of NY with the Corona Virus....and everywhere else also.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/1196106783249189961?locale=en_US

Thanks Mike. I had checked out the install with no good results. Thank you for your input and COVID-19 concerns!

I have them on my 2016 TG. 0 is off and 6 is all the way on. If you can't get it to go past 3 there is probably an issue with the install. I did have to replace the fuse this year, but they have worked fine since then.

That’s kinda what I was thinking Mark. Thanks for your response.

Kevin , being the dial will not go past 3 , one would think the issue is within the left grip.

Only thing I don’t like about them , they get slimy in rain and hand sweat . I had a pair of leather covers . Put them over them. The heat is still felt.

Dont know what county your in , as I use Morroneys in Newburgh. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Kevin , being the dial will not go past 3 , one would think the issue is within the left grip.

Only thing I don’t like about them , they get slimy in rain and hand sweat . I had a pair of leather covers . Put them over them. The heat is still felt.

Dont know what county your in , as I use Morroneys in Newburgh. I have nothing bad to say about them.

Thanks Frankie. You’re supporting my suspicions.

Installed my heated grips this winter

Hello Trikesyke; I installed my HD brand heated grips in December. The left grip is a self contained unit and can only fit in the proper orientation. There should be a raised indicator on the fixed part of the grip. It points to the numbers on the dial as you rotate it. Turning the dial away from you (toward the front of the trike) should turn in down to 0, which is off. Turn it toward you and it should go all the way to 6, which will set your gloves on fire. I suspect that the left grip is defective and should be replaced. I rode today at 37 degrees and the grip set on 3 was too hot and I had to roll it down to position 2. Regardless of wether or not you're getting any heat now, your install was buggered and your dealership should make it right. An install like that should have never left the shop. After a recent SNAFU at my dealership (on a warranty fix) I have developed a habit of checking my ride in the parking lot before I leave the dealership.

Good luck. Call your dealership TODAY.

Hello Trikesyke; I installed my HD brand heated grips in December. The left grip is a self contained unit and can only fit in the proper orientation. There should be a raised indicator on the fixed part of the grip. It points to the numbers on the dial as you rotate it. Turning the dial away from you (toward the front of the trike) should turn in down to 0, which is off. Turn it toward you and it should go all the way to 6, which will set your gloves on fire. I suspect that the left grip is defective and should be replaced. I rode today at 37 degrees and the grip set on 3 was too hot and I had to roll it down to position 2. Regardless of wether or not you're getting any heat now, your install was buggered and your dealership should make it right. An install like that should have never left the shop. After a recent SNAFU at my dealership (on a warranty fix) I have developed a habit of checking my ride in the parking lot before I leave the dealership.

Same here. Too many times things have not been totally correct. Better to find that sooner than later and most importantly while you are where they can hopefully rectify the problem. Never, ever had any such problems with any auto but Harleys seem to be a different matter. And it's not just my local dealer. I think it's like the Carona virus - it infects them all.

Dave, thank you for your input. You would think I would have thought to check it before leaving, but I have had a lot happening lately. I plan on contacting the dealership once they are allowed to reopen.

Same here. Too many times things have not been totally correct. Better to find that sooner than later and most importantly while you are where they can hopefully rectify the problem. Never, ever had any such problems with any auto but Harleys seem to be a different matter. And it's not just my local dealer. I think it's like the Carona virus - it infects them all.

👍 thank you for your response.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png