To Brake or Not to Brake?

Reaction score
Need some input...

Building a custom trike, pretty bare bones; not a VW trike either. Trying to keep it as clean as possible. So here is the question;

Do I really need a front brake on it?

I got dual disc brakes and wide rubber on the back. Do you think I can safely get away with not having one? Not going to be racing it or anything like that.

Input is greatly appreciated...

I would put front brakes on it.
Another thing you may want to check your states motor vehicel laws,they may be required.
:wave4::wave4::wave4::wave4:

Need some input...

Building a custom trike, pretty bare bones; not a VW trike either. Trying to keep it as clean as possible. So here is the question;

Do I really need a front brake on it?

I got dual disc brakes and wide rubber on the back. Do you think I can safely get away with not having one? Not going to be racing it or anything like that.

Input is greatly appreciated...

My daughter has a VW trike that came without a front brake. The rear braking is quite good and a front is not necessary for good safe stoppping. I still added the front brake just for the more braking power and when backing the front brake makes control somewhat better. Can you have a safe vehicle without the front brake yes, but more is better for brakes.

That front brake has a lot of stopping power. The early choppers (see Easy Rider the movie) Didn not have them. Now that the disk is so much cleaner looking than the DRUM most use a front brake

YES.....Front Brakes add lots of stopping power.....more than the Rear Brakes on most Trikes because, unless it is rear-engined, there is more weight carried on the Front..."usually".....ThumbUp

Thanks for the input everyone...

I'm still on the fence. Like everything else, it will decide for itself as I go along in the build process. Never too late to add it.

As long as the state law doesn't require it...

Thanks for the input everyone...

I'm still on the fence. Like everything else, it will decide for itself as I go along in the build process. Never too late to add it.

As long as the state law doesn't require it...

Your state does not require a front brake per 8-1807. as long as it can meet the stopping requirements.

I've unofficially field tested my Tri-Glides front & rear dual brakes individually and I was suprised how much more stopping power the front had over the back. Except for on snow and ice. Then I only use rear to slow down to keep steering (front too strong on those conditions and locks up). I have a 2-wheel chopper with just rear and have considered adding front many times.

I've unofficially field tested my Tri-Glides front & rear dual brakes individually and I was suprised how much more stopping power the front had over the back. Except for on snow and ice. Then I only use rear to slow down to keep steering (front too strong on those conditions and locks up). I have a 2-wheel chopper with just rear and have considered adding front many times.

Yep....I did the same tests when I first got my Gold Wing Trike....would have rather had the rears go out than the front.....ThumbUp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png