Windshield height?

Reaction score
My husband I and have a 2020 Tri-Glide, we traded in our Spyder for this beauty. On the Spyder we used a Madstad 18 inch windshield, and I really enjoyed the lack of wind. He is 6'1" and I am 5'7". I know whatever we buy, I will have to look through it, and that is ok with me. So far we have tried the 10" Wind splitter (not good), and the LRS 11". The Long Ride shield does stop my eyes from tearing but over 60 miles an hour I am really getting knocked around from the wind in the passenger seat. Are my expectations off, that I am looking for a lot of wind reduction in the passenger seat? Or is it that a full windshield is completely different? Advice please and recommendation would be appreciated.

My husband I and have a 2020 Tri-Glide, we traded in our Spyder for this beauty. On the Spyder we used a Madstad 18 inch windshield, and I really enjoyed the lack of wind. He is 6'1" and I am 5'7". I know whatever we buy, I will have to look through it, and that is ok with me. So far we have tried the 10" Wind splitter (not good), and the LRS 11". The Long Ride shield does stop my eyes from tearing but over 60 miles an hour I am really getting knocked around from the wind in the passenger seat. Are my expectations off, that I am looking for a lot of wind reduction in the passenger seat? Or is it that a full windshield is completely different? Advice please and recommendation would be appreciated.

We use only the flat top models From LRS she loves the way it keeps wind off her face. Wind splitters are horrible in her way of thinking. I use a 9" for cooler weather and a 6" no longer offered for all other riding.

DSC01022.JPGDSC00268.JPG DSC00551.JPG

I ride solo also. I have the H-D 12" shield and it works perfectly. I am 5'-11" the top of the shield is at eye level, but I have the Road Zeppelin air seat so I can adjust my height about an 1' above or below the top. Sitting in back you should be well above the shield because the seat is higher. What seat do you have?

Try adjusting the top fairing vent.

If your eyes are tearing, I would suggest some curved motorcycle riding glasses - like Wiley X. Get the ones with a removable/replaceable foam gasket.....makes a world of difference.

I buy all my glasses from SportRX.

Good Luck

Don't know what sort of eye protection you wear but as suggested motorcycle glasses with foam cups will definitely help. The oem factory windshield on the Tri-Glide is 10" I'm also 5' 7" (used to be a couple inches taller but gravity has taken its toll, lol) and can't see over the stock windshield so I ride with an 8" touring width Freedom shield which I can see over. It is recurved and my wife who is about the same height says it works well for her.

Now on my 2018 I had the same Freedom shield but in 12" which I definitely couldn't see over and in heavy rain that was a problem. But your husband being taller may well see over a 12" shield and might want to try that. Freedom allows you to mount the shield and ride with it and as long as you don't peel the protective film off you can return it if it's not acceptable.

The owner, John, is a great guy to work with. His shields are US made and are much, much thicker and more sturdy that the stock shield. I've had several on different bikes and Freedom is my favorite by far. https://freedomshields.net/

We have gone to the LRS Reaper. Wife loves that she gets no buffet on the rear. As to height, I think i got the 11" but I am only 5'8. You may want a taller one. We also went with the lite tint. We luv this shield. It is wider at the bottom ,which helps throw the wind off the side & off my honey. Just back from our 5300 mile ride with this new shield, can't say enough good about it.

My wife and I just returned from a South Dakota trip and I was experiencing a horrible amount of helmet buffeting with my half helmet on our Tri-Glide. We stopped into Klock Werks in Mitchell SD and tested a few of their different windshields. We found a flare that eliminated my helmet buffeting and had no adverse effects on my wife. My original windshield measured 10" along the surface from the fairing. The Klock Werks measures 9" and has a very aggressive lip on the top. I'm 5"6" tall.

We've been very pleased so far.

My wife and I just returned from a South Dakota trip and I was experiencing a horrible amount of helmet buffeting with my half helmet on our Tri-Glide. We stopped into Klock Werks in Mitchell SD and tested a few of their different windshields. We found a flare that eliminated my helmet buffeting and had no adverse effects on my wife. My original windshield measured 10" along the surface from the fairing. The Klock Werks measures 9" and has a very aggressive lip on the top. I'm 5"6" tall.

We've been very pleased so far.

That was a smart move. :clapping:

You could also look into the Clearview GT large size windshield with the recurve. My wife is 5'8" tall and the Clearview now sends the wind over her helmet and has stopped her eye tearing.

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

You might see if your local HD dealer has any demo shields. You can get an idea of height. As for wind protection for the passenger, the recurves do a nice job pushing the air up and move. I have a 12" recurve on my tri. I look over the shield and get little to no wind in my face. My Co Rider, a 4 month old Jack Russel Terrior has never complained about the wind, so I'm guessing it protects her too ... :D

Don't know what sort of eye protection you wear but as suggested motorcycle glasses with foam cups will definitely help. The oem factory windshield on the Tri-Glide is 10" I'm also 5' 7" (used to be a couple inches taller but gravity has taken its toll, lol) and can't see over the stock windshield so I ride with an 8" touring width Freedom shield which I can see over. It is recurved and my wife who is about the same height says it works well for her.

The owner, John, is a great guy to work with. His shields are US made and are much, much thicker and more sturdy that the stock shield. I've had several on different bikes and Freedom is my favorite by far. https://freedomshields.net/

How does the inner/outer fairing seal if the windshield is so much thicker? Also do you get extra long screws with the shield??

How does the inner/outer fairing seal if the windshield is so much thicker? Also do you get extra long screws with the shield??

Hi Gary. While the Freedom shield is noticeably thicker than stock it is not so much as to cause any fitment problem. Installs just like stock. If you want complete information I suggest you phone or email the owner:

John Lauk

Freedom Shields

303-816-1615

john@freedomshields.net

Nice guy and he can answer all your questions.

Jerry

We run the Freedom 12" Touring recurve, no wind on the wife at all and no distortion at the curve.

I am 6'1" and my DW is 5'7" also. I have always been LRS fans. We ride 12,000 to 14,000 miles a year all over the country. A few months ago I went with the 11" Reaper. It flares out at the bottom and is designed to keep more buffeting off the passenger. I look over it but if need be I can slump down slightly and look through the top of it. Good luck with your pick!

Hi Gary. While the Freedom shield is noticeably thicker than stock it is not so much as to cause any fitment problem. Installs just like stock. If you want complete information I suggest you phone or email the owner:

John Lauk

Freedom Shields

303-816-1615

john@freedomshields.net

Nice guy and he can answer all your questions.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, Just talked to John and ordered a shield. I wanted a 12" clear Touring model, but he didn't have one in stock. He said he would look to see what he had. I'm leaving for Kentucky in 2 weeks. He found 10" tint in stock. I'll try that and if it won't work, I'll exchange it.

He doesn't think I'll need longer screws with the windshield pouch. Anyone else know if that's true??

Thanks Jerry, Just talked to John and ordered a shield. I wanted a 12" clear Touring model, but he didn't have one in stock. He said he would look to see what he had. I'm leaving for Kentucky in 2 weeks. He found 10" tint in stock. I'll try that and if it won't work, I'll exchange it.

He doesn't think I'll need longer screws with the windshield pouch. Anyone else know if that's true??
I didn't need longer screws with LRS shields if that helps any get us a picture of the new shield like to see how it looks ride safe Fred

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png