HD TriGlide versus Honda Gold Wing Trike

LAM

Apr 13, 2021
Dallas, TX
Good morning, I've had a HD TriGlide since 2011 and have finally gotten tired of the heat! I'm considering either a new HD trike, was told by a friend who has a 2019 that his doesn't put out any heat, or going to a Honda GW trike. Would appreciate any feedback and any dealer recommendations in the DFW area. I'm not opposed to going outside to Texas if need be.

Good morning, I've had a HD TriGlide since 2011 and have finally gotten tired of the heat! I'm considering either a new HD trike, was told by a friend who has a 2019 that his doesn't put out any heat, or going to a Honda GW trike. Would appreciate any feedback and any dealer recommendations in the DFW area. I'm not opposed to going outside to Texas if need be.

Lisa.......Welcome to Trike-Talk.....:wave4:...About the heat i had a 2011 Tri-Glide and i took the cat out and did a stage one ....For me that was all i needed to do, With my 2017 i just needed to add was floor board extensions.. ...I have a 2019 and so far the heat doesn't bother me so I'm keeping it stock....That said Heat is a relative thing...Whats hot for you isn't necessarily hot for someone else..:Shrug:..

Just to add anyone that says they don't put out ''Any'' heat...Is suspect..You are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine the only time they don't put out ''Any'' heat is when they are not running.. .. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Hi Lisa, welcome to Trike Talk. I sent you a PM.

Papa

Hi Lisa, :welcome:to Trike Talk

Since you are already familiar with the heat from a Harley trike why not test ride a new one to get the feel of the heat or lack thereof

Hi Lisa. Not had or ridden a 2011 Tri-Glide but I did have a 2011 Road Glide and it was hot, hot, hot. Traded it a year later because we preferred a bat wing fairing and got a 2012 Ultra. It was hot but seemed to be not as much as the Road Glide. Then a 2017 Limited, a 2018 Tri-Glide and now a 2020 Tri-Glide. I will say the last three bikes with the M8 motor were much cooler than the others which had the Twin Cam motor as does yours. I do think Harley has done a much better job of managing the heat at least as far as keeping it away from the rider is concerned. Like Jack suggested see if you can test ride a newer one with the M8 motor. And check into DK Custom Products - www.dkcustomproducts.com - as they have lots of good ideas and products for managing the heat. And while I know it is frowned upon for safety reasons on really hot days when stuck at a traffic light I oftentimes turn off the motor until I see the light about to change and then I fire it up again.

I had the GL 1800 Gold Wing trike. Did not experience any engine heat.... just sweltering TEXAS heat! I had a full set of Baker Air Wings on it and a vented F-4 windshield.

I suggest you ride a Gold Wing and a new Harley to make a comparison and decide for yourself.

Be sure you do it on a HOT TEXAS DAY .... not hard to do!

:flame::furious:

I have a 2020 TriGlide & it is not as hot as the 16 I had. Welcome to TT.

Thank you & I appreciate your input. I read a review on Love Jugs (I think I've got the name right) and the reviewer said they really work!

Lisa.......Welcome to Trike-Talk.....:wave4:...About the heat i had a 2011 Tri-Glide and i took the cat out and did a stage one ....For me that was all i needed to do, With my 2017 i just needed to add was floor board extensions.. ...I have a 2019 and so far the heat doesn't bother me so I'm keeping it stock....That said Heat is a relative thing...Whats hot for you isn't necessarily hot for someone else..:Shrug:..

Just to add anyone that says they don't put out ''Any'' heat...Is suspect..You are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine the only time they don't put out ''Any'' heat is when they are not running.. .. :Shrug:

I'm on my second Goldwing trike and there is absolutely no heat issues at all. It's also great in stop and go traffic because of the liquid cooled engine and radiator fans.

I had 2006 GL1800 Hannigan before I traded it in on a 2016 Tri Glide and now a 2020 Triglide. With the Honda there is absolutely no heat issues. With the Tri Glide, you going have to spend some money to get the heat down to where it is tolerable. But you don't buy a Harley and be concerned about the heat. You buy a Harley for the looks, the raw power and you can make it your own.

• Thanks
Reactions: LAM
I had 2006 GL1800 Hannigan before I traded it in on a 2016 Tri Glide and now a 2020 Triglide. With the Honda there is absolutely no heat issues. With the Tri Glide, you going have to spend some money to get the heat down to where it is tolerable. But you don't by a Harley and be concerned about the heat. You buy a Harley for the looks, the raw power and you can make it your own.

What he said ^^^

Reactions: LAM

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png