The Official 2020 Oil & Filter Thread... (Open to All Makes)

Fluid Change Question

Sorry if this is a dumb question or redirect me where to look. I'm new here. This is my first Honda Goldwing Trike. I purchased a new 2014 in 2018. I currently have 5,000+ miles on it. I've changed my primary oil at 3,000 or less. I did my first oil change at 500 miles. I pulled my manual. It states: Final Drive Oil replace 24,000 miles or every two years, Clutch Fluid 12,000 miles.

Replace clutch and final drive fluids more often?? I haven't touched these fluids yet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: MDO
Sorry if this is a dumb question or redirect me where to look. I'm new here. This is my first Honda Goldwing Trike. I purchased a new 2014 in 2018. I currently have 5,000+ miles on it. I've changed my primary oil at 3,000 or less. I did my first oil change at 500 miles. I pulled my manual. It states: Final Drive Oil replace 24,000 miles or every two years, Clutch Fluid 12,000 miles.

Replace clutch and final drive fluids more often?? I haven't touched these fluids yet.

Thanks!

Welcome. My shaft drive Honda's, I changed it every 2 years. You can't hardly go wrong following the manual.

'19 Freewheeler, 950 miles, going to dealer Wednesday for the 1k service. I know, it's way cheaper to do it myself. I'm fully capable but I've always had the dealer do the 1k's and besides, I also need the Traction Control download for the recall.

Ever since HD came out with Syn 3 I've used it in the motor on past bikes and will on my FW. Always Formula+ in the primary. On past bikes I'd put Belray 85/140 in the transmission. That said, when HD came out with their Heavy Synthetic I put it in my Low Rider and it smoothed the shifting quite a bit. That will also go in the FW transmission.

2020 Tri, currently running hd primary lube, hd syn motor oil and Amsoil 80/140 trans. 1k service was free, as soon as I get close to 5000, Liqui Moly 10w-60 into the engine. That is some of the best oil I’ve used since 2014. Hd primary lube seems fine and at 10k Amsoil 80/140 or equivalent in the trans.

Would like to hear more on the liquid Moly. want to try it. Already do the Ams severe gear & Ams primary. Will have dealer do the 1000 mile inspect.

Would like to hear more on the liquid Moly. want to try it. Already do the Ams severe gear & Ams primary. Will have dealer do the 1000 mile inspect.
Our Advanced Auto Parts store the one I worked at for awhile carries it. Not the 20W60 but lighter oils for the Beemers and the Mercedes sports models. Not hard to find everything I have read it is good stuff for the price it should be. Developed I think for the Turbocharged and Blower driven motors high stress stuff. Check out the their website very interesting. Fred

P.S. For me I'm most likely going to Amsoil for all three holes Motor oil, Tranny oil, and Primary oil next change Still staying with K&N oil filter.

Youse guys are paying waaay to much for trick Madison Avenue hyped oil. UltraLube 20W50 Full Synthetic V Twin, SJ, JASO, 5 gallon pail $77.99 shipped ( plus tax here in NC) off fleabay.And they also have the Synthetic gear oil 80W-140 GL5. Made right here in the good old USA With 3 bikes and a trike I cant dink around with the by the quart a-gogo.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png