Rear Tire Wear

BT2 Zeke

10+ Posts
Jan 17, 2021
Mexia, Texas, USA
I was looking at my rear tires yesterday. The date code on both tires show them as being manufactured within a week of each other in 2013. They're both original. I'm working on replacing them in the next week. What surprised me was the tread wear pattern on the individual tires. The right tire is worn down to almost nothing. The left tire shows about 1/2 of the original tread left.

I was wondering what would be the cause of the tread wear difference between the two tires? Is this normal or is it an indicator of a mechanical problem?

TIA

Right Tire.jpgLeft Tire.jpg

I was looking at my rear tires yesterday. The date code on both tires show them as being manufactured within a week of each other in 2013. They're both original. I'm working on replacing them in the next week. What surprised me was the tread wear pattern on the individual tires. The right tire is worn down to almost nothing. The left tire shows about 1/2 of the original tread left.

I was wondering what would be the cause of the tread wear difference between the two tires? Is this normal or is it an indicator of a mechanical problem?

TIA

View attachment 112034View attachment 112033

My 2015 freewheeler is doing the same thing with 24,000 miles on it. I'll wait for replies.

The worn tire looks like an over inflation problem

9k=

9k=

9k=

I just took 2 tires original to my 14 trike with 40000 miles on them and they were pretty even. They were due .I installed Michelin Defenders and WOW! What a difference…It is OK to rotate them …

In order to rotate the tires on a Trike you have to dismount the tires’ take them off the rims and then switch them around..

In order to rotate the tires on a Trike you have to dismount the tires’ take them off the rims and then switch them around..

I agree with you Bob on this, BUT, I had too many customers complain about new problems after doing this even tho I fore warned them

I would encourage them to let me check their suspension and tracking of the axles

I also advised them to pick a day of the week to check their air pressure

One would also be amazed at how a re balance of tires could improve their ride

I also switch mine from side to side. I was beginning to think that was a no-no and I was the only one doing it. It may not be necessary, but it doesn’t seem to hurt anything and they certainly should wear evenly (if that’s even a problem).

please explain

Hypothetically your left rear tire is wearing on the outside take that tire with the wheel and you put it on the right side and then wear spot becomes the outside on the right side..So so if you don’t fix the uneven wear in the first place, eventually you will have two ties with the outside worn and then by the time the other tire wears in the outside possibly the first tire will be worn so much it’ll be dangerous…

The OP stated the date code was 2013 so the tires out lived their time and served him well. It was time for them to go anyway. But this does bring up a question should we rotate our tires from left to right after so many miles if they are not directional?

The OP stated the date code was 2013 so the tires out lived their time and served him well. It was time for them to go anyway. But this does bring up a question should we rotate our tires from left to right after so many miles if they are not directional?

When I traded in my 2011 triglide with close to 50,000 miles on the rear tires and never rotated them just check the air pressure periodically they look like they could go another 25,000 miles ….

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png