Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
Ride Report 2019 Black Hills, Grand Teton Mtns., Rocky Mountain Ntl. Park

Mary and I have been looking forward to this trip for over 5 months!

Tomorrow we leave for the Black Hills!!!

This year we're doing a lot of things different from previous years.

You can see many of our previous years Ride Reports at this LINK.

Here are a few of the changes we've made this year:

1. Instead of one 40-50 day trip, we're making two different 20-25 day trips.

2. More riding in less days. See how we're saving $ & time at this LINK.

3. The first trip this year we're splitting our time between riding and visiting with Family (sans motorcycle) in Idaho & Wyoming.

We'll be riding around the Black Hills...Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore, Custer National Park, Badlands, Deadwood, Devils Tower, Spearfish Canyon and more.

Then we're headed over to The Grand Teton Mountains.

After that we'll be spending a week with family in Idaho and Wyoming.

Wrapping it up, on the way home we're planning on doing some riding in the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.

Mary still has the same camera, we've replaced the Drift video camera with a GoPro, and we've added a drone to the mix.

We will be posting photos (and hopefully videos) regularly during the trip.

We've loaded up all our groceries, Bike, tools, etc. and we're chomping at the bit to get on the road.

A few pics-

Loading the bike into our "Home" away from home. It sits in the removable wheel chock...

Loading%20up.JPG

...then gets strapped down in all 4 corners...

Strapping%20it%20down.JPG

...Ready to roll!

Ready%20to%20Roll.jpg

As you can see, even with the bike in this little trailer, we still have access to the fridge, bathroom, kitchen and bed.

Ready%20to%20Roll%202.jpg

This rig will get us to where we want to ride quickly, comfortably, & for less $. Once there, the bike is off-loaded and we have better accommodations than a motel, for a fraction of the cost. :)

Will post again once we're in the Black Hills riding!

Kevin

We have been in the Black Hills for a couple of days....after meeting up with Bill in Souix Falls on Friday.

However, where we're camped (until Thursday morning) has no cell service/internet. So the updates on the Ride Report will be sparse until we get somewhere with service.

I will try and get started with the actual daily Ride Report tomorrow...we'll see.

Been having a great time, went to Deadwood & Spearfish today. Rode Spearfish Canyon twice!

We could move to where there is internet...but we are camped right next to a stream that leads into a small lake...all only about 30 yards from us.

Here's a photo-

D4-5%20Camp.JPG

Kevin

We have been in the Black Hills for a couple of days....after meeting up with Bill in Souix Falls on Friday.

However, where we're camped (until Thursday morning) has no cell service/internet. So the updates on the Ride Report will be sparse until we get somewhere with service.

I will try and get started with the actual daily Ride Report tomorrow...we'll see.

Been having a great time, went to Deadwood & Spearfish today. Rode Spearfish Canyon twice!

We could move to where there is internet...but we are camped right next to a stream that leads into a small lake...all only about 30 yards from us.

Here's a photo-

D4-5%20Camp.JPG

Kevin

Hi guys, it was great to meet and talk for awhile on Friday. You have quite the traveling set up! Hope you had time to stop at the Chamberlain rest area, and found it to be all I told you that it would be.

Remember the mileage I told you about on the way down to S Falls...only 28 mpg bucking that hot south wind....did not get the 40 mpg I talked about on the return home...only 39.1 mpg..Ha! What a difference wind direction makes.

I'm sure it was a hot trip across I90 west, but the weather reports are much cooler for the rest of the week....you'll have some very cool evenings! Did you notice the tree damage in Spearfish Canyon from the storm last year? If you get south on Hwy 385 towards Hill City, there is road construction just south of the Hwy 16 and 385 junction....one lane with stop and go lights. Enjoy the Hills, and maybe we'll be able to meet up again sometime.

Bill

Day 1-

We left late in the afternoon, headed up the 55.

First stop was at Boomland. We've been stopping here whenever we're in the area for close to 2 decades.

Mary likes the big selection of hot sauces and various canned items.

D1-1%20Boomland.jpg

Leaving there we continued north, toward St. Louis. Thousands of acres of flooded farmland!

Late afternoon we ran into a "first" in Missouri. A dust storm! Cross-wind was 30-40 mph and everyone slowed down to 45-50, not just from the wind, but also the reduced visibility as dust was thick across the interstate.

No Photos, I was busy and Mary was nervous. lol

After getting clear of that, we found a rest area to spend the night...but not before Mary got the first cloud (and sunset) pic of the trip.

D1-2%20Sunset%20Clouds.jpg

Day 2-

No photos for today. Not sure what we were thinking.

Ran thru Missouri and got into Iowa. Big chunks of 29 was closed due to flooding, so we took a different route. Ended of traveling thru many different country lanes to get north, around the flooding.

Finally ended up on 34. Even it was closed heading into Council Bluffs and Omaha!

Picked up the 29 north of Omaha and stopped in a rest area just outside of Sioux City for the night.

Day 3-

Headed to Sioux Falls and met Bill on his 2016 Tri Glide. Sharp ride.

We had a good visit, covering a variety of subjects. Super glad he made the trip down to meet us. Good people.

After our visit we headed west on the 90. Bill had recommended we stop at the Chamberlain Rest Area, just east of the Missouri River.

We did. 50 foot tall Native American Indian "Dignity" Statue there-

D3-1%20Chamberlain%20Stop%20Statue.jpg

Inside the visitor center/rest area is a Lewis & Clark Museum. Very interesting. We spent about an hour going thru looking at all the exhibits and reading info on their expedition.

D3-3%20Lewis%20Clark%20Museum.jpg

Leaving the rest area we crossed the Missouri River...

D3-4%20Crossing%20MO%20River.jpg

...and settled in for the long road across southern SD toward the Black Hills.

D3-5%20Headed%20to%20Hills.jpg

When we got to the Badlands we drove thru the park, but took very few photos...

D3-6%20Badlands.jpg

...our plan was to stay on a bluff above the Badlands...

D3-7%20Bluff%20Badlands.jpg

...we could have camped right here, and then taken the bike and ridden thru the Badlands the next day...

D3-8%20Bluff%20Badlands.jpg

...but there was rain in the distance, headed our way. We did not want to get stuck here, 1 mile down a "road" that turns to mud when it rains.

Here's just a little taste of the mile dirt road to the bluffs...

D3-9%20Road.jpg

...some of the ruts were much deeper, where folks before us had gotten stuck.

So, we headed to yet another Rest area for the night. Mile Marker 100. Got a great sleep.

Continued in next post.

Kevin

Day 4-

We left out of Mile Marker 100 and headed for our camp site, passing thru Rapid City, Sturgis, Deadwood, & Lead.

Sturgis.jpg

We got to where we're staying for a few days. Base Camp.

After setting up, took a little walk around...

D5-Camp.jpg

...yep, it's cold, high 40's.

But we took a little ride around, checking out the immediate area...

D5-1RidetoCG.jpg

...then got the drone up in the air for a bit different perspective...

D5-Camp1a.jpg

...a little closer...

D5-Camp2a.jpg

...and a bit closer still.

D5-Camp3.JPG

This is a great area. Quiet, no other folks around, surrounded by woods, and can hear the stream from our front door.

But there is no cell service, no internet, just us and nature.

Will post more as time allows. Been sitting in this parking lot, 6 miles from camp, long enough. :)

Kevin

Looks like a good time

Your picture of Lake Francis Case brings back a lot of good memories for me

We always stopped @ the rest area on our way to Sturgis

I remember sleeping on the grass one year, They kind of frown on that:p

Reactions: MDO
We have the truck and camper. We're in Red Lodge now. Beartooth is closed at state line. They had a big storm up there Friday night,a guy got stranded for a day . The road is still closed. Just so you know to check on it if your planning on going that way. Oh yea, found out last night the VP is going to be in Yellowstone Thursday at Old Fathful. .. Should have stayed home.... Or gone some other place.

Holy Cow!....that looks like a great, undiscovered spot! Spectacular shots of the campsite. Thought you'd have some cooler weather this week..... I love 'light jacket' weather.

I'm sure you'll find better places with internet and cell service than your parking lot.....I hope.:)

Enjoy the Hills!

Bill

Wow ... what a great spot ... Enjoy

Yes!!! We've been enjoying...lol...and not getting any thing done on the Ride Report. But Mary is taking a lot of pics. I think 479, just the first day riding Spearfish Canyon a couple of times.

Gonna get some pics up soon.

Looks like a good time

Your picture of Lake Francis Case brings back a lot of good memories for me

We always stopped @ the rest area on our way to Sturgis

I remember sleeping on the grass one year, They kind of frown on that:p

Cool! I hear ya on sleeping on the grass.

How times have changed...or maybe we're just older. lol Now, we're carrying our little home with us. :)

We have the truck and camper. We're in Red Lodge now. Beartooth is closed at state line. They had a big storm up there Friday night,a guy got stranded for a day . The road is still closed. Just so you know to check on it if your planning on going that way. Oh yea, found out last night the VP is going to be in Yellowstone Thursday at Old Fathful. .. Should have stayed home.... Or gone some other place.

No Beartooth this year. It was about this time last year that we rode it, and it was still pretty nasty up there!

Next week we are going to Yellowstone with family (sans bike), I'm resigned to the normal crowds....but glad that the VP was last week...that would have been horrible.

Looks like a great trip so far!!

We will be about two weeks behind you. Leaving on the 27th towards the Black Hills.

Be safe.

Thank you. :):):)

Enjoy your time!

Holy Cow!....that looks like a great, undiscovered spot! Spectacular shots of the campsite. Thought you'd have some cooler weather this week..... I love 'light jacket' weather.

I'm sure you'll find better places with internet and cell service than your parking lot.....I hope.:)

Enjoy the Hills!

Bill

Yeah, we had read about this spot, but it is even better than the recommendations.

You were right about the weather. Nights in the 40's and days in the high 50's...but that's what electric jackets are for. :laugh:

Kevin

Day 5-

Our first morning at "base camp" for the Hills.

What a great place. This pic was with morning dew still on the windshield...

1-MornDew.jpg

...it was still in the upper 40's when we went for a little 15 mile putt around the local area. Here we are headed back to camp to get ready for a day out, exploring the roads between Cheyenne Crossing, Deadwood and Spearfish.

1-Puttb4Ride.jpg

As we were getting ready to leave for the day, you can see the hail falling...

2-HailFalling.jpg

...Mary got a photo of me looking at the stuff, thinking, "WHAT is this, and why isn't it melting?" lol

3-What.jpg

On the road now. There are miles of nice sweepers (and some tighter curves) between camp and Lead...

4-CurvesToDW.jpg

...there is nothing like flying through roads like this, what a great place to ride...

5-TonFun.jpg

..."look ma, no hands". :)

6-NoHands.jpg

There is some road work going on around Lead & Deadwood...getting ready for the Sturgis rally.

7-BtwnLeadDW.jpg

Riding down the main drag in Deadwood. We parked and did a bit of walking around the shops...

8-MainDrag.jpg

...then headed back the way we came, toward Spearfish Canyon. Neither Mary nor I wanted to go into a hole in the side of a mountain, seems like riding a motorcycle is Much Safer than that. lol

10-GoldMine.jpg

Much more coming for today, will post as time permits.

Kevin

We found out it was rock slides that had Beartooth closed so long... When you get to Yellowstone, their still working on the east entrance. And Canyon Village to Norris. All dirt, mud and loose crap everywhere. We sat 15 min. before getting to play follow the leader about 15 mph... We came in the NE entrance over to Hot Springs and cut over to the East entrance. We were going to stay at the West entrance until we saw the crowd at Hot Springs, and Heard about the VP the day before... We canceled our reservations and headed for Graybull... So many people out there, the gal said normally they dont cancel, but as packed as it was , they could easily sell the spot... It only cost $10.00 to get out of the rat race.... To many people out there for me anymore... :( My next place will be Sturgis Rally on the Trike... No crowds there ...:xzqxz: At least their more my kind of people :clapping:

We found out it was rock slides that had Beartooth closed so long... When you get to Yellowstone, their still working on the east entrance. And Canyon Village to Norris. All dirt, mud and loose crap everywhere. We sat 15 min. before getting to play follow the leader about 15 mph... We came in the NE entrance over to Hot Springs and cut over to the East entrance. We were going to stay at the West entrance until we saw the crowd at Hot Springs, and Heard about the VP the day before... We canceled our reservations and headed for Graybull... So many people out there, the gal said normally they dont cancel, but as packed as it was , they could easily sell the spot... It only cost $10.00 to get out of the rat race.... To many people out there for me anymore... :( My next place will be Sturgis Rally on the Trike... No crowds there ...:xzqxz: At least their more my kind of people :clapping:

Thanks for the heads up on the constructions zones...we'll know to stay away from them. We're not going to have time to see the entire park anyway.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png