Lehman brake question

Sep 14, 2014
SE New England
I have a 2012 GL1800 with a S/A Lehman Monarch II kit with disc brakes.

The brake system has a residual valve mounted on the axle housing where both Honda OEM brake lines connect too. From that value are 2 stainless brake lines that run to left and right rear caliper.

My question is, I really don't understand the purpose of the residual valve with its bleeder, and then how is it used (and in what sequence) when bleeding the entire front and rear brake system.

Side Note: The Lehman brake modification allows for the front lever to operate the front brakes only and the rear brake pedal operates both front and rear.

Looks like you have linked brakes, try this procdure

Procedure:

Give command to pump ( two times) and hold prior to opening each fitting.

Continue at each location until fluid is visibly flowing and proceed to next location.

Make sure that fluid reservoir is maintained during the procedure.

1) Right rear caliper upper bleeder until fluid is present, then lower bleeder,

2) Left rear caliper upper bleeder until fluid is present , then lower bleeder,

3) Left front caliper 8mm bleed screw until fluid is present ,

4) Left front anti-dive bleed screw until fluid is present,

5) Right front caliper 10mm bleed screw until fluid is present .

(Note) It take a while for any air to be chased out the front of the system. That is why this procedure cannot be performed just once.

1) Right rear caliper upper bleeder until steady fluid flow, then lower bleeder,

2) Left rear caliper upper bleeder until steady fluid flow , then lower bleeder,

3) Left front caliper 8mm bleed screw until steady fluid flow,

4) Left front anti-dive bleed screw until steady fluid flow ,

5) Right front caliper 10mm bleed screw until steady fluid flow.

Repeat above procedure at least two times until pedal is solid and does not pump up.

Focus attention to the front because the air you are chasing has a long way to escape at the front wheel.

The brake system has a residual valve mounted on the axle housing where both Honda OEM brake lines connect too. From that value are 2 stainless brake lines that run to left and right rear caliper.

My question is, I really don't understand the purpose of the residual valve with its bleeder, and then how is it used (and in what sequence) when bleeding the entire front and rear brake system.

In 2009, I added a Wilwood 10 psi red brake residual pressure valve to my rear brake line. It simply maintains 10 psi on the brake fluid between it and the rear wheel cylinders to keep the seals and any hose full in slack times. 10psi is OK with drum brakes as they have return springs to pull linings away from the drums. 2 or 3 psi is for disc that have no return springs.

I know of no changes needed for bleeding and I have never seen a residual pressure valve used in brakes to have a bleeder of it's own?

Attachments

• closeup valve plumbing.jpg
    closeup valve plumbing.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 135
Thank you for your inputs.

I do understand the purpose of the residual valve maintaining pressure to the rear lines but still unclear as to how the bleeder on the residual is used in the sequence.

Thank you for your inputs.

I do understand the purpose of the residual valve maintaining pressure to the rear lines but still unclear as to how the bleeder on the residual is used in the sequence.
What you have on your conversion is a Self Bleed Check Valve.

Valves, or Flow Control Valves are used together they form a closed loop brake fluid system that allows small amounts of brake fluid to circulate every time the brake pedal is depressed, thereby eliminating the possibility of localized fluid boiling and build-up of gases within the brake fluid. Gases end up being vented back into the master cylinder reservoir rather than trapped within the caliper and brake lines.

260-3501-sm.jpg

Thanks Jim for jumping in. The residual has a typical banjo fitting on one end with a bleeder nipple.

Do I need to bleed this nipple during a complete flush? and if so in what sequence would I do it in?

I have a 2012 GL1800 with a S/A Lehman Monarch II kit with disc brakes.

Side Note: The Lehman brake modification allows for the front lever to operate the front brakes only and the rear brake pedal operates both front and rear.

This is getting confusing, even to me !!!

They (Lehman) built a small amount of these conversions and the assembly manuals were not properly updated.

The system is similar to the Monarch I excepting for the disc brakes.

Monarch I brake line.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png