another question about my trike

The linkage you refer to is the actual rear suspension.

There are several braces that may not be visible at dis-assembly.

Since the VL800 Gypsy/Romani was a factory only conversion, installation manuals were not available.

I do have a Factory Manual for the VL800 (40 pages) and C-50 (50 pages). $1 a page.

For all intents and purposes, both manuals contain similar information but there are different frame(s) for the different years.

What frame changes did Suzuki make, I don't really know, but some brackets and braces used on the earlier model (VL800) are not used on the later model (C-50).

It is not a solid (rigid) mounted type suspension.

VL800 C-50 cushion.jpg

Well, I bit the bullet and dug into the trike. Finally got the motor on the floor. :clapping:It was interesting to note that while the coil over setup was retained, it seems to have no purpose on the solid mounted Romani kit. I wasn't sure, so I placed a bottle jack under the spring assembly in case there was movement when I disconnected the dog bones. Nothing... never moved at all.

Now, it's time to open the motor and decide if I should go with a re-build or move the trike kit to a newer fuel injected bike. Poor thing looks pathetic sitting there.:)

Attachments

• DSC02910.JPG
    DSC02910.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 230
Well, I bit the bullet and dug into the trike. Finally got the motor on the floor. :clapping:It was interesting to note that while the coil over setup was retained, it seems to have no purpose on the solid mounted Romani kit. I wasn't sure, so I placed a bottle jack under the spring assembly in case there was movement when I disconnected the dog bones. Nothing... never moved at all.

Now, it's time to open the motor and decide if I should go with a re-build or move the trike kit to a newer fuel injected bike. Poor thing looks pathetic sitting there.:)

In the early kits, the pin that goes through the dog-bone and the swingarm (#13 in above drawing) would seize in place and not allow the swingarm to operate. Some even broke and Lehman had to eat them. There is a zerk fitting to grease it but they were not greased from the factory. Lehman never made a rigid (frame) suspension trike and yours has full suspension. Probably just frozen up.

In the early kits, the pin that goes through the dog-bone and the swingarm (#13 in above drawing) would seize in place and not allow the swingarm to operate. Some even broke and Lehman had to eat them. There is a zerk fitting to grease it but they were not greased from the factory. Lehman never made a rigid (frame) suspension trike and yours has full suspension. Probably just frozen up.

Thank you for that info. That explains the grease zerk that was up there that looked like it never was greased. Also why I had to use a brass drift to get the dog-bone bolt.

Thank you for that info. That explains the grease zerk that was up there that looked like it never was greased. Also why I had to use a brass drift to get the dog-bone bolt.

I guess you removed the pin also.

That needs to be cleaned up and the place that it resides needs to be cleaned so that the pin will float.

I would take a zip-saw and cut a small line the length of the pin and another around the pin where the zerk fitting and pin met.

That would allow grease to travel down the line to the ends so that it wouldn't seize again.

Gypsy Swingarm.JPG

I guess you removed the pin also.

That needs to be cleaned up and the place that it resides needs to be cleaned so that the pin will float.

I would take a zip-saw and cut a small line the length of the pin and another around the pin where the zerk fitting and pin met.

That would allow grease to travel down the line to the ends so that it wouldn't seize again.

View attachment 90167

Will do. (Yes)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png