Does a trike conversion need rear fenders in PA?

Apr 12, 2021
Lykens
Hello!

I'm working on a 94 Harley Softail trike conversion using a DNA axle. So far I have the rear swingarm mostly fabricated as well as a 'stake body' style bed for the back. I've looked at the inspection laws for here in PA closely and haven't been able to figure out if rear fenders are required. I'd hate if they are, it'll hurt the vintage look I'm going for. Would anyone on here know? Thanks, I appreciate any input.

Jeff ......I hate to say this to a new-guy here....And don't take this the wrong way.....

But don't you think it would be disrespectful to any vehicle behind you...What without rear fenders or at least mud flaps you'll be kicking up road debris , And damaging other peoples pride and joy... ...:Shrug:...

Hi Jeff,

The way I read the motorcycle inspection law, under body-fenders section 175.154, it says all wheels need fenders of a type like original equipment. I just searched Pa motorcycle inspection laws.

Jeff ......I hate to say this to a new-guy here....And don't take this the wrong way.....

But don't you think it would be disrespectful to any vehicle behind you...What without rear fenders or at least mud flaps you'll be kicking up road debris , And damaging other peoples pride and joy... ...:Shrug:...

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Around here though everyone's brother has a Jeep or pickup truck of some sort that have 8" of off road tires sticking out beyond the fenders. I didn't think my little 15" touring radials would be too bad in comparison.

Hi Jeff,

The way I read the motorcycle inspection law, under body-fenders section 175.154, it says all wheels need fenders of a type like original equipment. I just searched Pa motorcycle inspection laws.

I remember reading that. What confused me was the like original equipment part. The only thing original on my project any more is the frame and front wheel. So 'like' means similar to what the factory would do, ala Harley Servi-car? Thanks for your post, irondad01!

Hi Jeff, :welcome:to Trike Talk

If your stake bed covers the tires, hang some mud flaps with LED lights on the stake bed;)

Not a bad idea but the bed's already made. I wanted to keep the profile of the bike low, so it's about 2 inches to the inside of the tires. I just painted the swingarm I fabricated over the past few weeks tonight and I hope to mock it up in the next day or two so I can figure out how I'm going to run the brake lines. I'll post a few pics when I do so you fellers can check it out. I'm pretty proud of it, it started as a bike build 4 years ago but during the project I lost around 70% of my hearing in my left ear and discovered it's really hard for me to lean right, go figure. I had an incident that was close enough to make me acknowledge my own mortality.

So I figured I'm going to take this bike and turn it into a trike that the two wheeler guys would want to ride. It just looks fun. A lot of handmade parts, brass foot pegs, brass push rod covers, cover plates, etc. I've done all of the paint myself, rebuilt the Evo (rings and gaskets), rebuilt the S&S Shorty, did the leatherwork for the seat, painted the air cleaner cover to match, etc. all on my back patio. I just love doing this stuff. Hell, I even brought it into my house 3 winters ago to rewire the whole thing and ran everything I could through the frame. Wife wasn't too happy but I remodeled the whole ground floor of the house the following winter to make up for it.

It's not meant for long runs of course, it's basically going to be a grocery getter that never leaves my little coal mining valley here in PA. Hell, it'll probably never even see an interstate. Which is another reason I really don't want to put fenders on it. It'll kill what I saw in my head. Shortsighted? Sure. Disregard for the law? Not really, I just wanted to create something cool and didn't think of it.

Or, I can look at it as an opportunity to learn how to shape metal. Remember Jesse James? That dude is the real deal. And although I don't condone cheating I do understand to some degree why. That chick with the riding crop was hot as hell. Sandra Bullock always seemed like a boring superficial celebrity.

Thanks for the input everyone, I love this forum. Sorry for droning on but it's Friday and have had a few shots of Smirnoff Silver. :)

As promised, here is where I ended today. I'm still dialing some stuff in but I think it looks pretty cool. I haven't put the portawalls on the cheap Korean radials yet because I don't want them to get scuffed up while I'm manhandling things around. I would have loved to get Cokers but the cost is insane, $250 each.

Trike.jpg

And here is what is under the box, I used the original swingarm and built off of it.

Swingarm.jpg

I checked out a few fenders at Tractor supply today that I think I can make look ok. But I'm wondering if I could just slap 2 of those chrome bikini trucker girl mud flaps on the back and call it good.

After I get this done I'll figure out the brake lines and also I have a 5 degree rake triple tree to put on it and I'm good to go. I'm kind of wondering if I'm going to need the raked triple tree though. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for checking it out! Have a great weekend.

Looks good, do the mud flaps

Check out these and incorporate onto the body, it will keep the flaps from blowing in the wind, semis used them They are called anti sail for mud flaps

400BZ_45%20copy.jpg

As promised, here is where I ended today. I'm still dialing some stuff in but I think it looks pretty cool. I haven't put the portawalls on the cheap Korean radials yet because I don't want them to get scuffed up while I'm manhandling things around. I would have loved to get Cokers but the cost is insane, $250 each.

View attachment 100123

And here is what is under the box, I used the original swingarm and built off of it.

View attachment 100122

I checked out a few fenders at Tractor supply today that I think I can make look ok. But I'm wondering if I could just slap 2 of those chrome bikini trucker girl mud flaps on the back and call it good.

After I get this done I'll figure out the brake lines and also I have a 5 degree rake triple tree to put on it and I'm good to go. I'm kind of wondering if I'm going to need the raked triple tree though. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for checking it out! Have a great weekend.

Looks great, good job

I would think that a couple of Tractor Supply fenders trimmed up for coverage and mounted at an angle similar to the front fender would satisfy the LEOs. IMHO it would also flow the look of the front end to the rear. You could support the fender straight up from the axle and tie it back to the bed side. This mounting would stabilize the fender from vibrating and from the inevitable "park your butt on the tire/fender while visiting" scenario. (You know it's going to happen :mad:).

Nice build!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png