• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

What's the diff,

Valkyrie

Reaction score
I was researching what diff. my Lehman 04" GL1800 had and finally confirmed through Champion/Lehman on the Left coast that it is indeed a Mustang II.

So I'm thinking rear drum to disc conversion so why can't I just go out on the net and order the kit for the Mustang II and install it.

I've wrenched on everything from motorcycles to heavy equipment.

Anyone done this?

Also my owners manual doesn't even address the GL1800 just the 1500. I'm wanting to remove the hub caps from the rear wheels and not sure if they thread on or just pop off. HELP!

Thanks Valkyrie

So took a bit but figured out the OEM Lehman wheel caps are held on by the center nut. Is there a special wrench that fits them and wont mar them?

Thanks for the welcomes.

Might have met some of you last September in S W Texas at Kerrville. Brother Delbert was on his Orange Champion and I was on my gray 08 MotorTrike. I've since sold the 08 and an 03 MotorTrike and just picked up the 04 Lehman GL1800. Still ride two wheels and will probably sell the Lehman.

goes in the shop for the brake recall tomorrow.

Petty amazing trike with just 9200 original miles. Probably kick my self if it sells.

Hi Mike! Yes... certainly remember meeting you two guys at Kerrville last year.

Welcome to TrikeTalk - from Kerrville, Texas!

3rd trike since Kerrville last year?.. can’t find a keeper or just enjoy wheel’n & deal’n?

I was researching what diff. my Lehman 04" GL1800 had and finally confirmed through Champion/Lehman on the Left coast that it is indeed a Mustang II.

So I'm thinking rear drum to disc conversion so why can't I just go out on the net and order the kit for the Mustang II and install it.

I've wrenched on everything from motorcycles to heavy equipment.

Anyone done this?

Also my owners manual doesn't even address the GL1800 just the 1500. I'm wanting to remove the hub caps from the rear wheels and not sure if they thread on or just pop off. HELP!

Thanks Valkyrie

Mike,

Changing those drums to discs is simple, but getting a M/C that will provide enough fluid to the automotive calipers is hard to find.

I haven't found one yet.:Shrug:

Then you have to de-link the brake system too when changing to disc brakes.

Automotive calipers may have a 1.75-2.0" piston, where motorcycle calipers have a 1.25-1.5" caliper.

That is a big volume difference.

Per your wheels, if you have the ASA wheel with the aluminum nut, the wrench that was made for them is unobtainable.

Put some tape on a set of channel-locks and back the nut off and remove the underlying ring.

When installing, you only need to snug the nut, it only holds the plastic ring on.

Hi Mike! Yes... certainly remember meeting you two guys at Kerrville last year.

Welcome to TrikeTalk - from Kerrville, Texas!

3rd trike since Kerrville last year?.. can’t find a keeper or just enjoy wheel’n & deal’n?

Love to wheel and deal. I buy and sell all the time. I like to find low mile original bikes, trikes and other vehicle's.

Mike,

Changing those drums to discs is simple, but getting a M/C that will provide enough fluid to the automotive calipers is hard to find.

I haven't found one yet.:Shrug:

Then you have to de-link the brake system too when changing to disc brakes.

Automotive calipers may have a 1.75-2.0" piston, where motorcycle calipers have a 1.25-1.5" caliper.

That is a big volume difference.

Per your wheels, if you have the ASA wheel with the aluminum nut, the wrench that was made for them is unobtainable.

Put some tape on a set of channel-locks and back the nut off and remove the underlying ring.

When installing, you only need to snug the nut, it only holds the plastic ring on.

Thanks Jim, just put together that was you I spoke to on the phone today too. Learned a lot today. I'll probably just roll with the way it was built. She's in the shop for the brake recall. They are real busy and will be couple weeks before I get er back.

I'm gonna try and put together some kind of a socket for the center cap and carry it with me incase of a flat.

Love to wheel and deal. I buy and sell all the time. I like to find low mile original bikes, trikes and other vehicle's.

Are you looking at vehicles reasonably close to you or just wherever the vehicle may be across the U.S.?

Are you looking at vehicles reasonably close to you or just wherever the vehicle may be across the U.S.?

I've been collecting cars and motorcycles for years. I appraise professionally and also do per-purchase and damage inspections. I travel the country spend 30-35 hours a week searching vehicles. I also sell enclosed trailers of all seizes. That was my 32' behind my 2012 International Terrastar we brought to Kerrville last fall.

I'll post some pics soon.

I currently have these bikes and trikes, all for sale. YES these are actual miles.

2003 GL1800 BLACK this is the one I ride regular. 22,000 miles bought new 04"

2004 GL1800 DARK WINE LEHMAN MONARCH TRIKE KIT 9200 MILES

2006 VTX1800N3 BLACK WINDSCREEN AND HARD BAGS ADDED. 47 MILES YEP THAT SAYS 47 MILES

2007 VTX1800T2 BLACK 2900 MILES

2010 SABRE 1300 BLACK BAGS AND WIND SCREEN 2600 MILES

2014 VALKYRIE DARK WINE 3400 miles

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png