Coolant overflow

Coolant tank

On my 2021 TG,IF I have more than 1/2" coolant in bottom of tank cold,it will blow coolant out overflow after stopping engine hot. Cannot put coolant to cold add line on tank. Believe I have a weak pressure cap,but have not returned to dealer as of yet.

Anyone experience any coolant overflow issue?

Have 2021 Tri-Glide 15,000 miles.

Took it in to dealer.

If you are puking coolant there is a very good chance your pump is shot. My 19 Tri Glide did that. It would puke all the fluid out and I would refill it and it would be fine for a couple days then it would puke it all out again. Pump would work and then it wouldn't.

Took it in to dealer.

My 2020 did that when new, I had to bleed the air out, I dont remember something like turn the ignition on and turn the throttle forward the will start the water pump take the cap off and you will see the air come out of the neck were the cap goes on and keep adding anti freeze till its full ?

Here's a video on the subject you may find useful.

The caps take more twisting than seems safe to get them locked in.

Make sure to get the Trike on an angle.

I've seen Dealerships not do that, and it will not bleed the air out if it is not, if they do not have the special tool and try doing it manually like in this video.

Kevin

Kevin,

I had a problem with my cooling system up in Sturgis the evening before I was to ride home.

Wensday in Cody the fans seemed to be running longer than normal when I would shut the bike off. I checked the overflow tank it and was a bit below cold level and the engine was hot. So I got some Harley coolant and topped it off to the cold level after it cooled down.

Checked it again Thursday morning cold and it was good. I rode back to Sturgis the checked it at camp and it was good. Checked it Friday morning and the level was still good. I rode most of the day then came back to camp checked it and there was no coolant in the overflow tank. The bike never did overheat or throw the check engine light. The fans just seemed to run longer than normal.

I started to panic but found a couple of post about air in the system. Went into town and bought a better funnel and some more coolant at the Harley store. Still not sure what happened to the coolant in the bottle.

Saturday morning The bottle was still empty so I added coolant and bleed the system as you showed except I did not elevate the right side of the bike. It took a couple of fills and running the pump but it bleed all the air out of the system. I filled the bottle closed the cap and installed the pressure cap to the stops. I left the cover off so I could see what the level in the bottle was doing as I rode home. The level raised a bit in the bottle and stayed there all the way home. I felt lucky to make it 750 miles home without any problem and I have some extra coolant.

I've rode it since I've been home and the level is good but the fans run longer after you shut it off.

I will elevate the bike and bleed the system again. If the fans continue to run longer I'll get it checked out at the next service. Thanks for the video. Without bleeding the air from the system I probably would have been stranded as you were.

Kevin,

I had a problem with my cooling system up in Sturgis the evening before I was to ride home.

Wensday in Cody the fans seemed to be running longer than normal when I would shut the bike off. I checked the overflow tank it and was a bit below cold level and the engine was hot. So I got some Harley coolant and topped it off to the cold level after it cooled down.

Checked it again Thursday morning cold and it was good. I rode back to Sturgis the checked it at camp and it was good. Checked it Friday morning and the level was still good. I rode most of the day then came back to camp checked it and there was no coolant in the overflow tank. The bike never did overheat or throw the check engine light. The fans just seemed to run longer than normal.

I started to panic but found a couple of post about air in the system. Went into town and bought a better funnel and some more coolant at the Harley store. Still not sure what happened to the coolant in the bottle.

Saturday morning The bottle was still empty so I added coolant and bleed the system as you showed except I did not elevate the right side of the bike. It took a couple of fills and running the pump but it bleed all the air out of the system. I filled the bottle closed the cap and installed the pressure cap to the stops. I left the cover off so I could see what the level in the bottle was doing as I rode home. The level raised a bit in the bottle and stayed there all the way home. I felt lucky to make it 750 miles home without any problem and I have some extra coolant.

I've rode it since I've been home and the level is good but the fans run longer after you shut it off.

I will elevate the bike and bleed the system again. If the fans continue to run longer I'll get it checked out at the next service. Thanks for the video. Without bleeding the air from the system I probably would have been stranded as you were.

Glad you got home!

Yeah, get all that air out of there and you should be good.

Kevin

Took it in to dealer.

======================

I have the same problem on my 2021 Tri Glide. I checked for leaks and none, I bled using the bled technique showed on the video and I believe get all the air out. Yesterday after the ride I removed the fearing lid to observe it and in a minute or so I noticed that the container was getting full and ready to overflow. I did the throttle technique and the container started emptying immediately up to the level line. When I stopped it, it started filling that again but more slowly and I did it again and the coolant went to it's level line and did not do it again.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks

======================

I have the same problem on my 2021 Tri Glide. I checked for leaks and none, I bled using the bled technique showed on the video and I believe get all the air out. Yesterday after the ride I removed the fearing lid to observe it and in a minute or so I noticed that the container was getting full and ready to overflow. I did the throttle technique and the container started emptying immediately up to the level line. When I stopped it, it started filling that again but more slowly and I did it again and the coolant went to it's level line and did not do it again.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks

First thing I would do is see how hot the engine is getting. It is possible that it is getting hotter than it should/hotter than the system can handle.

You want to see the oil temp at 230 F or lower. You want to see the temp sensor in the cylinder head not going over 260 F.

If that temp sensor is going into the 300-330 F range, like so many of them do, it may just be too much for the coolant system to handle. See video below.

Another thing to look at is checking to make sure the entire system is air tight, not sucking air into it and negating the bleed you did.

Kevin

First thing I would do is see how hot the engine is getting. It is possible that it is getting hotter than it should/hotter than the system can handle.

You want to see the oil temp at 230 F or lower. You want to see the temp sensor in the cylinder head not going over 260 F.

If that temp sensor is going into the 300-330 F range, like so many of them do, it may just be too much for the coolant system to handle. See video below.

Another thing to look at is checking to make sure the entire system is air tight, not sucking air into it and negating the bleed you did.

Kevin

After installing all of the DK cooling mods and tuning, mine barely gets over 200° now. The only thing I don't have are the Love Jugs.

After installing all of the DK cooling mods and tuning, mine barely gets over 200° now. The only thing I don't have are the Love Jugs.

Nice, that is great for your Twin Cam! Those are ideal temps! :clapping:

Love2ride has an M8, and the heat sensor is in a different location, which means that even with the engines are at the same temp overall, the M8 temp sensor will run about 30 F hotter than the Twin Cam.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png