Pic Heavy 2016 Ride Report - 40 Days Following the Front Wheel

Last year when I got my trike back, I was heading home and went to downshift and there was no lever. Luckily, I had the full Hannigan floor boards and the leaver, bolt and washer were laying on top of it. I was able to put it on hand tight which lasted the next 5 miles or so until I got home and ad a drop or two of blue locktite and hit it with an allen wrench.

Seems that service in a lot of areas is declining.

That was most fortunate for you! The bolt did not come loose on ours. It was just 25k+ miles of vibration finally wore down the splines there the bolt was resting on them, because it was installed incorrectly.

Yep, very few mechanics left, mostly "techs", that for the most part don't understand what they are doing/why they are doing it...they just are doing what they were taught, without really understanding why/how things work.

---------

Day 8 Arches National Park-

The Arches National Park is only about 5 miles from our Motel. We went sans helmets. Lots of sunscreen, we did wear the mesh jackets. Keeping them wet is a lot cooler than being in the direct sun.

1%20Riding%20out%20To%20Arches_zpsudcwqtgg.jpg

Here we are, let's see what there is to see!

2-%20Sign_zpsrdony3e8.jpg

Climbing into the park...

3%20Climbing%20in_zpsnwa3bocg.jpg

...fantastic views everywhere...

4%20Amazing_zpsinl6exfy.jpg

...I am posting up 20 pics of our day in Arches. They do not even scratch the surface of what all is there.

This is the "Delicate Arch".

5%20delicate%20arch_zpsleyu4jqb.jpg

We did not get that close. It was in the low 90's, so we limited our walking. :)

To give a perspective-

6%20Mary%20Delicate%20Arch_zpsxkfpneyl.jpg

I don't remember if this arch had a name, but we decided to eat lunch here...

7%20arch_zpsepdahakl.jpg

...it's a bit more than 1/2 mile walk from the road to this arch...

9%20Lunch%20Arch_zpshpsuq9wl.jpg

...looking up at it from our lunch spot in some shade.

10%20Lunch%20Arch_zpsi0zqtqnv.jpg

More in next post.

Day 8 Continued-

Eating lunch in the shade below the Arch.

11%20Lunch%20in%20shade_zpshxpe4zqn.jpg

To give a perspective of how large everything is!

12%20Perspective_zpscu91egtp.jpg

After eating, enjoying the cool breeze in the shade, messing around climbing on the rocks, we head back to the Tri-Glide.

13%20headed%20back%20to%20TG_zpssvthwgiz.jpg

It's a bit of a walk. It's been 6 years since 9 bones were broken in my right foot. After a couple of surgeries, even last year I could not walk this far. Though I am still in pain 24/7, it has gotten less in this last year. :)

14%20headed%20back_zpsrzu2omif.jpg

Back at the TG, ready to ride some more.

15%20Back%20to%20TG_zpsndsjxmvp.jpg

Fantastic views everywhere....yes, that is snow on the mountaintops in the distance.

16%20snow%20in%20distance_zpsakebur21.jpg

We rode thru "Windows". There are a bunch of arches in this section of the park.

17%20Windows_zpsora6vjog.jpg

The Tri-Glide has been running great. Been going really slow in 90+* temps and it is not getting hot at all. But it did develop a new sound, which is why we stopped here. Turned out to be the infamous gas cap cover rattle. Easily fixed.

18%20no%20Idea_zps0ys8syro.jpg

"Balanced Rock"...that's gonna fall some day!

19%20One%20day%20will%20fall_zpsfpaqzhih.jpg

There were a ton more views in the Arches Park. We had a great time riding and seeing them all.

After leaving the park we took a road along the Colorado river for a few miles.

20%20Colorado%20River_zpsd9mkre1g.jpg

Great day of riding and seeing this park for the first time!

Kevin

Day 7 Continued

..after unloading & changing, we head down the street to the grocery store to get fixins for meals for a few days.

31%20Shopping_zpsu86repaz.jpg

Kevin

Haha!! In this pic, you all look like me on Saturdays and Sundays. After work, I always stop at the grocery store and pick up stuff for meals for the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Last year when I got my trike back, I was heading home and went to downshift and there was no lever. Luckily, I had the full Hannigan floor boards and the leaver, bolt and washer were laying on top of it. I was able to put it on hand tight which lasted the next 5 miles or so until I got home and ad a drop or two of blue locktite and hit it with an allen wrench.

Seems that service in a lot of areas is declining.

My dealership is no exception. My horn doesn't work right and they are blaming it on my Wards fans. There is absolutely no connection between the two, except that they didn't follow the directions when they put my fans on--they didn't use the supplied longer bolts and spacers for the horn housing!!

When I got another set from Jason, I put them on and the horn still doesn't work correctly, so most likely it's a horn wiring issue, which I know nada about.

Sorry Kevin for derailing the thread, but at least it's bad service related, like one of your posts. Sorry you had to go through that kind of thing. Considering how much you know about bikes, they basically insulted your intelligence.

Wow Kevin! That is some purdy country you are drive through! Lovin' lookin' in on your thread!

Glad you're enjoying! This is a great country for riding in, a lot more to come.

Haha!! In this pic, you all look like me on Saturdays and Sundays. After work, I always stop at the grocery store and pick up stuff for meals for the day.

- - - Updated - - -

My dealership is no exception. My horn doesn't work right and they are blaming it on my Wards fans. There is absolutely no connection between the two, except that they didn't follow the directions when they put my fans on--they didn't use the supplied longer bolts and spacers for the horn housing!!

When I got another set from Jason, I put them on and the horn still doesn't work correctly, so most likely it's a horn wiring issue, which I know nada about.

Sorry Kevin for derailing the thread, but at least it's bad service related, like one of your posts. Sorry you had to go through that kind of thing. Considering how much you know about bikes, they basically insulted your intelligence.

Yep, can fit a lot of groceries in the trunk & TP. ThumbUp

Seems the last few year HD has changed their supplier for horns AND horn brackets. We've seen a huge increase in defective units the last couple of years.

Kevin

Day 9 Canyonlands National Park-

Leaving out from our home base in Moab. This has been a great place to stay.

1%20Home%20Base_zps6lkmpwpv.jpg

A little past Arches and turn left...25 miles. We've not visited this park before.

2%20Canyonlands_zpswtgvvu2p.jpg

We're not there yet...just barely started on the road there....

3%20on%20route_zpsb8d6bmn6.jpg

...the sights are amazing...

4%20in%20route_zpsioqj8nzw.jpg

...and the road is a lot of fun too!

5%20in%20route_zps2xretl3g.jpg

We're in the park now, headed for the "Grand View". This pic just shows a tiny section of a very winding (and fun) road.

6%20nice%20road_zpsotlxagcz.jpg

Amazing views...

7%20Grand%20View_zpsvwun0khd.jpg

...must have distracted Mary some...she usually does not get very close the edge.

8%20Mary%20Grand%20View%20Point_zpserzd8i7l.jpg

Words really can't describe how vast this place is....pictures do better, but still don't capture what it's really like.

9%20Mary%20close%20to%20edge_zpsa4p9ggmt.jpg

Wow!

10%20vast_zpsuw4uwwca.jpg

More in next post.

Day 9 Continued-

This place is HUGE!

11%20Huge_zpsiyphaahp.jpg

12%20Crazy_zpsqm5bzwup.jpg

Mary & I at Green River Overlook

13%20KM%20Green%20River%20Overlook_zps1eaaqnbs.jpg

Photo Mary took from the edge of the road as we were riding

14%20Edge%20of%20road_zpsqgvdm1cs.jpg

Photo taken from our picnic table, IN THE SHADE :)

112%20shaded%20lunch%20table_zpsf5cxhiro.jpg

We had pulled off the road somewhere to get some pics, it was a bit of an angle and drop off from the road. As we were leaving I said to Mary...I'm going to take a little video getting back on the asphalt...JUST FOR FUZZY!

Click HERE to watch it.

Another place we pulled over for the view...just remembered we can photo's with the video camera mounted on the bike.

18%20KM%20Overlook_zpsoesyktju.jpg

We're outside the park now, headed back to Moab...

15%20Fun%20road_zpsisjr6alm.jpg

...Awesome riding....

16%20nice_zpsujcvn8uq.jpg

...and views everywhere!

17%20headed%20back_zpssdambnvs.jpg

Kevin

Years ago when I worked at White Sands Missile Range, I was involved in a few trips to Green River for some missile equipment testing. Beautiful country. Jim

This stuff is just great!! I'm living vicariously through you.

Glad you're enjoying...but I bet you're in air conditioning and now living some of the heat vicariously. :laugh:

Makes me admire the settlers who braved those areas in wagons and on horseback.

Yes, I have had that same thought more than a few times this trip!

Looks like you guys are having a great time. Keep in coming, I love going along with you.ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

Lots more to come!

Awesome pics!!! Beautiful country to ride through!!!

Thank you!

You guys have a GREAT TIME. Nice ride

Thank you, we will.

Years ago when I worked at White Sands Missile Range, I was involved in a few trips to Green River for some missile equipment testing. Beautiful country. Jim

Oh! Did you all make some of the craters we've been seeing? :)

Kevin

Day 10-

Having seen Arches and Canyonlands, we are now headed to Hatch, UT, which will be our base for going to Bryce and Zion.

Leaving Moab we saw this bike with some monster ape hangers! :)

1%20Leaving%20Moab_zpshtumuemj.jpg

Passing the Rock & Fossil shop that Mary spent about an hour in the other day.

2%20Rock%20Shop_zpsej4qisbw.jpg

We were soon back on the 70...

3%20on%20the%2070_zpsj0m2eoj9.jpg

...we could have stayed on the 70 almost all the way to Hatch (which would have been faster), but opted for secondary roads which we believed would offer a bit more scenery.

We turned off onto the 24...

4%20got%20on%20the%2024_zpsjsfg5lai.jpg

...and got a lot of the above!

A while back I discovered a new foot position, just to shift the weight a bit.

5%20lotta%20straight%20road_zpsymdnzq52.jpg

A different perspective. My calves on are the lower fairing, probably not doing the clear coat any favors, however, my butt and knees are happy for the change. :)

6%20Different%20perspective_zpsf43dfcap.jpg

There were a few interesting sections...

7%20Some%20interesting%20sections_zpsm1rm1po5.jpg

...here we are cutting thru a corner of the Capitol Reef National Park.

8%20small%20corner%20of%20Captial%20Reef_zpsjz7aaoem.jpg

We've never been in the Capitol Reef NP proper....

9%20CR_zpsfthi94rf.jpg

...but this little section was a welcome respite from the sections of road before and after it.

10%20cr_zpsgqg0po5f.jpg

More in next post.

Day 10 Continued-

The last shot of our cut thru the corner of Capitol Reef.

11%20cr_zpsuod8i7gq.jpg

We're now on the 62, it has a bit more variety than the 24, but there are long stretches of some pretty desolate land.

12%20on%2062_zpsrjxjrk0k.jpg

We did see another 3 wheeler. :)

13%20another%203%20wheeler_zpssnudw5bt.jpg

Can't really tell by the pics, but it was warm...low 90's. This is the first shade we'd seen in over 100 miles.....a small park in a town. We stopped to have some sandwiches Mary had prepared.

14%20Lunch%20in%20shad_zpswxbllc4e.jpg

Enjoying the nice cool grass before the last leg to Hatch.

15%20relaxing%20in%20shade_zpsngj9ta8s.jpg

Fast forward 80 miles or so and we are right near the Bryce Canyon National Park...about 14 miles north of Hatch.

16%20Getting%20Close_zpsxs7vwsay.jpg

5 years ago we had just happened to stop in Hatch at a motel. Struck up a conversation with Mike, the owner.

He had just bought another small motel and was in the early stages of making it a Biker Motel, along with a Cafe. He showed them both to us, and we told him the next time we came thru we would be staying there.

Well he got it done, and we are here. It is really well thought out.

17%20Galaxy%20Biker%20Motel_zpsstcdnmio.jpg

Here is the room we are in...

18%20GBM_zpsz6q74cgx.jpg

...diamond plate accents, tool chest for a dresser, cleaning supplies for your ride...

20%20GBM_zps3lvj4ywq.jpg

...and every room has it's own theme!

19%20GBM_zps8ka1n43w.jpg

If you are going to be visiting Bryce or Zion, or just want to stay in a cool motel, we highly recommend it! You can read his story at this link-

http://www.galaxyofhatch.com/our-story/

Kevin

WOW, what a cool idea for a hotel. I'm guessing it's already a big hit...

Now about your "new" riding positions..... for you next long trip, I see you adding 20" pullback risers and just leaning back into Mary's lap and letting her steer....:pepper::pepper:

WOW, what a cool idea for a hotel. I'm guessing it's already a big hit...

Now about your "new" riding positions..... for you next long trip, I see you adding 20" pullback risers and just leaning back into Mary's lap and letting her steer....:pepper::pepper:

Yes, it is a very cool place to stay.

On riding positions...we've tried that...handlebars are not long enough...:laugh:, we have the TP relocated 3" further back.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png