Water getting into rear lights lens casing?

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
Whenever I wash my bike, (which is very often) I find water is getting into the rear light lens...I always blow dry the water off my bike to keep from leaving water marks, on the paint, after washing it .BUT I have to also blow all the water out of the bottom of the lens, quite a bit of water goes in there...(I have not rode it in the rain as of yet, but I'm quite sure water will also flow in during a rain ride as well)

Is there suppose to be some kind of gasket between the lens and body to keep water from entering the lens??

O' this is a 2010 Goldwing with a ROADSMITH

Or what can you suggest, I can do to keep water from entering those rear light lens????

Thanks in advance for any help giving!

Ronnie

Ronnie, I've not had that problem with my RS and really can't make an informed recommendation. I suppose if I had the problem, I'd take a look on how to get the lens off and check the gasket for a crimp. I know it's not much, but it's all I got.

Are you sure it is inside the lens? I ask because when I wash mine I always have water between the light unit and the body which comes out when I blow dry it. It looks like it is in the lens but it really isn't on mine.

Are you sure it is inside the lens? I ask because when I wash mine I always have water between the light unit and the body which comes out when I blow dry it. It looks like it is in the lens but it really isn't on mine.

Yes, that's exactly what it does, after I wash it, I have to blow the lens to get the water out, I think I will take the lens off to see what is causing this water to get inside the red lens..

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie, I've not had that problem with my RS and really can't make an informed recommendation. I suppose if I had the problem, I'd take a look on how to get the lens off and check the gasket for a crimp. I know it's not much, but it's all I got.

Hey Bill,

I'm going to remove the lens this morning and check to see what the problem is... I don't want to keep blowing light bulbs everytime, I ride my bike in the rain... I just may try a silicone coating around the lens, to keep it water proof.

Ronnie

The lens and housing are bonded together. You cannot just remove the lens. There is a flange around the outer edge of the lens which is outside of the lens to housing seal.

I suspect this is were the water is getting trapped. It's OK to blow it out.

If you want to remove the lamp to inspect it to see if you're really getting water intrusion in the lamp, you have to remove the whole lamp by removing the mounting nuts in the fender.

Well if you don't ride in the rain like you say, Then its a simple fix Just stop washing it with water....:Shrug:......;):laugh:

I'm very OCD here, I can't go a week without givin her a good bath, and can't go a rain storm without given her a good wax job (while sitting in my garage) ;);)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa life is good! Shiny and clean/waxed is even better!!!

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png