Oil viscosity change volume?

1970 type 1 motor with dual port heads. Up to now I have run 10w40 oil. I would like to change to 20w50 oil.

If the engine holds 3.2 quarts, but we only put in 2.6 at an oil change, how does this affect my new oil? It would be diluted, am I being a worry-wart?

Thanks for your understanding...

1970 type 1 motor with dual port heads. Up to now I have run 10w40 oil. I would like to change to 20w50 oil.

If the engine holds 3.2 quarts, but we only put in 2.6 at an oil change, how does this affect my new oil? It would be diluted, am I being a worry-wart?

Thanks for your understanding...

Back when I had Beetles (1971/1973) And a 65 dune buggy i used straight 30 Weight I never worried about diluting…. I put at least 150,000 miles on each one of the Beetles..I Commuted every day to work with the Beatles..

If you are doing a total oil change the volume does not change, you might be better off running a sraight weight oil like 50W as Bob suggested

If you are doing a total oil change the volume does not change, you might be better off running a sraight weight oil like 50W as Bob suggested

Ok, lets say I'm going straight 50w, how much do I put in. My dipstick is wrong, I know that, so I marked it last time I did an oil change. But how do I get the rest out so I can put in the recommended 3.2 quarts so Everything is now 50w? The manual says 2.6 quarts at an oil change.

Ok, lets say I'm going straight 50w, how much do I put in. My dipstick is wrong, I know that, so I marked it last time I did an oil change. But how do I get the rest out so I can put in the recommended 3.2 quarts so Everything is now 50w? The manual says 2.6 quarts at an oil change.

If it were mine, I would just drain it and start over fresh with the 3.2 quarts your engine calls for. That way you know it is right and your stick should read that amount if you have it marked.

I do not like guess work nor mix n matching oil. I would rather redo the whole oil change and be confident in my work

I try to live by the KISS protocol when ever I can

With my Beetles if i remember correctly.......2 and a half.....And a half in the air cleaner ...[Which you probably don't have on yours...]

Don't over think it.....The little oil mixed together wound't hurt a thing...And when you do the next oil change most of the mix will be drained out...:Shrug:..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png