What is the dumbest thing you did wrenching on your bike

Jack Klarich

18000+ Posts
Reaction score
I overfilled the oil tank on my 1960 Panhead, oil blew out under the seat and down the frame onto the exhaust

After that I always left an air space in the horseshoe oil tank

I don't think I have reached my true potential yet lol. But since you asked, rebuilding the top end on my buddies EVO. I put the rings on upside down.

Forgetting to put the drain plug back in before filling the crankcase… but I bet I’m not alone on that one… Plus the occasional strip nuts and bolts….And then there was the left handed lug nuts on my 68 Charger…:gah:..

I "fat fingered" a tiny little nut when installing a GPS bracket. Didn't take any precautions for when I dropped it..... and I did. It was a "one of a kind" size. Spent over an hour on my hands and knees with flashlight, magnet, and a grumpy attitude. Finally went to the hardware store and bought a new set of 4 nuts and bolts to change out the mounting to a more common size. A couple of months later, that #%&@ nut appeared, plain as day, in a shallow seam in the cement. It was just sitting there looking at me as shinny as could be.

That nut now resides in a small bowl on my desk to remind me that a drop-cloth can be my friend..... Jim

Pulling fuel line on my sporty and it wasn't coming off pulled a little harder gas went every where in my eyes. And I was hundred yards from my house. couldn't see and of course no one heard me yell for help. Thanks to my neighbor saw me trying to walk across my yard like a blind man in a forest helped me get to some water to rinse my eyes out.

Forgot to put the reusable oil filter back on with a relocation kit on before starting it up, made a hell of a mess on the concrete floor.

The filter was still sitting where I put it to dry out after cleaning.

Got is shut down quick and only lost a quart.

Bob

Forgot to put the reusable oil filter back on with a relocation kit on before starting it up, made a hell of a mess on the concrete floor.

The filter was still sitting where I put it to dry out after cleaning.

Got is shut down quick and only lost a quart.

Bob

At least you flushed out the old oil in the line .:D

While being a helpful child (I thought), I filled the crank case of my father’s work truck, instead of the radiator, with water from the garden hose. Took a while to get up to the proper level in the valve cover. 🤪

While being a helpful child (I thought), I filled the crank case of my father’s work truck, instead of the radiator, with water from the garden hose. Took a while to get up to the proper level in the valve cover. 🤪

Well your story brought back memories of something that happened at a gas station I worked at many moons ago…

We sold diesel fuel and being a full service station, we regularly would be asked to check the oil and fluid levels. A coworker, “Rich”, was servicing a semi that pulled in and the driver asked him to check the radiator.

Brought out the garden hose and started filling… ooopsie, he stuck the hose in the crankcase and proceeded to “fill er’ up” with H2O! Semi was idling at the time… man, not a cool scene!

That semi sat at the island for weeks as insurance adjusters came out figure out what to do.

As I recall, many many oil flushes were done.

My wrenching challenges? One of the better ones was failing to use a flare wrench on a fuel line fitting… lesson learned!

Forgetting to put the drain plug back in before filling the crankcase… but I bet I’m not alone on that one… Plus the occasional strip nuts and bolts….And then there was the left handed lug nuts on my 68 Charger…:gah:..

You are definitely not alone with the drain plug issue.

That's it?

A lot of people when changing their oil on the early Cam-Am Spyder's grabbed a Torx instead of Allen and stripped the crankcase drain plug head …And then complained that either the factory or dealer Over Tightened it and that’s why it stripped.��…

When The Can-Am Spyders first came out it attracted a lot of tool handicap do it yourselfers…..��…

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png