Darned kid

DeathBySnuSnu

Old Redneck Motorhead
Reaction score
Girlie picked out a car for sale at the auto club show and shine today.

I was there because we are doing a fund raiser for a friends family he left behind when he died in a car wreck.

So girlie sees a car she falls in love with and then here comes the owner and said it is for sale.

Now I gotta find out more about it.

FB_IMG_1492888121325_zpsro0m4ejc.jpg

31 chevy truck.

Snu,

Not getting into personal space, but thought I'd share my experiences from this time in my kids life.

Is she a new driver? If so, I've always subscribed to the "Sacrificial Car" theory. It worked for me and my kids. The first car should be some basic (Cheap) mechanically sound vehicle that may or may not fulfill the expectations of the recipient. The deal is If they can drive it for a specified period of time (1 year in my case) with out wrecking it or blowing it up, it would be replaced with something more desirable.

My stepdaughter got a 90 Cavalier from "Up North" with Great Stuff rocker panels and spray can primer. She was not happy when she got it but 2 years later when it finally laid down, she cried. She really loved that POC.

My daughter got a 90 K Car that belonged to my friend's grandfather. It had been hit in the rear and the quarter wrinkled. We pulled it out so everything was straight and the back door opened OK. Quarter was still a little "wavy" but it was safe to drive. She drove it for just over a year when she was sitting at a stop light and got rear ended by a 16 YO that was texting. She was OK, car was terminal. She still misses that car.

Your daughter sounds like an exceptional young woman. I bet she will appreciate and care for what ever you get for her. She's already shown good taste in her vehicle choice.

Well....

She is a bit different, especially than the other girls were.

The others just wanted to go. They just got cars, well one got a pt cruiser that she promptly tore up. It has been totaled 3 times now and I put it back together and away she goes again.

This youngest one is the one most like me.

She dont want something normal and I have told her no on several of her automotive wants. She did want a SLC LeMans kit car.....uhhhhm no.

She really wants a 32 ford 3 window, fenderless, with a blown big block and zoomies. Well maybe one day. She says she will have one even if she has to grow up get a job and buy/build it herself. So something like in the picture above is actually more practical than anything else she likes.

She starts in the early college program next school year. Skipping over regular high school. She will soon need a way to go. She is 14 and looking into how to get a licence 2ys early. She is saying if she can into a drivers ed program then she can get a permit. It would be restricted to class but after passing class can get a regular permit and then a regular licence. The only problem is getting a driving ed to accept her at 14.

I bought my 2 daughters each a PINTO for their first car. They never have let me live that one down.

I had a '72 Pinto hatchback in green. Really did like that car. When the exploding Pinto thing came out I went to a truck stop and got a "Caution Flammable" sign for tanker trailers and put it on the back of the car. Even during rush hour traffic in Minneapolis I'd always have 2 or 3 car lengths behind me for some reason . :)

Heck,

Buy her a brand new Corvette, let her be the best in her class! :clapping:

My first car was a Chevy Chevette, that wouldn't go over 50 mph :mad:

Ronnie

Snu,

Not getting into personal space, but thought I'd share my experiences from this time in my kids life.

Is she a new driver? If so, I've always subscribed to the "Sacrificial Car" theory. It worked for me and my kids. The first car should be some basic (Cheap) mechanically sound vehicle that may or may not fulfill the expectations of the recipient. The deal is If they can drive it for a specified period of time (1 year in my case) with out wrecking it or blowing it up, it would be replaced with something more desirable.

My stepdaughter got a 90 Cavalier from "Up North" with Great Stuff rocker panels and spray can primer. She was not happy when she got it but 2 years later when it finally laid down, she cried. She really loved that POC.

My daughter got a 90 K Car that belonged to my friend's grandfather. It had been hit in the rear and the quarter wrinkled. We pulled it out so everything was straight and the back door opened OK. Quarter was still a little "wavy" but it was safe to drive. She drove it for just over a year when she was sitting at a stop light and got rear ended by a 16 YO that was texting. She was OK, car was terminal. She still misses that car.

Your daughter sounds like an exceptional young woman. I bet she will appreciate and care for what ever you get for her. She's already shown good taste in her vehicle choice.

That theory worked for me 3 times, got 1 to go . If you have a better choice, then at least they have a goal to look forward to in the future.

Heck,

Buy her a brand new Corvette, let her be the best in her class! :clapping:

My first car was a Chevy Chevette, that wouldn't go over 50 mph :mad:

Ronnie

Probably would get a used one.....if she liked or wanted one.

That one in the first pic is mostly a cut up s10.

V6, auto, street gearing. Not hot rodded at all.

I have a 2001 s10 pickup with 43k miles, v6, auto.

And I have a couple old beetle bodies. A 61 vert and a 66 euro. So considering this. But leaving the s10 front suspension instead of a straight axle, for the braking and drivability of a normal car.

2508a8890b36f4112655b38509a75979_zpsf2kyeykf.jpg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png