Disc brake conversion for harley servi car rear end

Aug 16, 2015
ft worth
Went to the summit racing shop and bought a kit, bk1626 i think, its a ford rear disc brake conversion, with a small mod to make the caliper fit the bracket it bolt on to the rear end.

Bloody pc, how about someone right this wrong, they don't show up crooked in the drag them down section but this is how they wind up.

Mods required for me were the cut out for the caliper to set deeper in the bracket, maybe ya can see that where the metal is shiny in the cut of the curve.

Dont know how that fact got by the maker, but caliper no set deep enuff ya have to make it that way for it to fit anything ya put it on.

Even the bolts an spacers worked, so far.

Thinking on replacing the roller cage bearings in the end of the axle tube with a set of seal bearings. Neva seen that done before. But, ive done several neva done its. Before.

Also tube on my spare rear end broke in two, ugh

feller i bought it from, messed up the hubs, i pressed them off the drums and they got run out galore, so they get a hammer and lathe treatment, but im not going to use them on this if i can get away with using the hubs on the rear end this brake set up goes one.

Kit came complete with rotors, calipers hoses emergency cables all of it, nuts bolts spacers, $380 round figure total.

Stay tuned, i worked my ass off finding this, and wore out my brain, but finally something came to fruition. Hopefully, will know more once its in an operating, think the master cyl will get it done 3/4 inch Harley mc.

Ya have to drill out the lug stud holes from the back side a bit, with a step drill i did it, jus enuff that the rotor fits over the small protruding bit of lug stud, or replace the studs with a washer under them to space it back.

Some of my lugs are loose, installed with hammer other will fall out, so i may press in some new ones i have to remedy that. Spot weld on the back of the hub may be in order.

Attachments

• IMG_5503.JPG
    IMG_5503.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5504.JPG
    IMG_5504.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_5499.JPG
    IMG_5499.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 259
Disc Brakes

Nice setup going there . When I built my first trike ('72) I only had a mechanical rear setup . I had a '58 pan head swing arm frame . I made it a complete bolt on type conversion . No juice brakes just used older HD stuff including a foot clutch setup and jockey shifter . It did come with wire wheels that were trashed so I cut the hubs up and had them welded into some Dodge Dart (?) front hubs . The mechanical brakes would stop the trike . The rear tires were 12-13" wide :) . Your disc setup is the way to go . Should have plenty of stopping power .

Lance

Went to the summit racing shop and bought a kit, bk1626 i think, its a ford rear disc brake conversion, with a small mod to make the caliper fit the bracket it bolt on to the rear end.

Bloody pc, how about someone right this wrong, they don't show up crooked in the drag them down section but this is how they wind up.

Mods required for me were the cut out for the caliper to set deeper in the bracket, maybe ya can see that where the metal is shiny in the cut of the curve.

Dont know how that fact got by the maker, but caliper no set deep enuff ya have to make it that way for it to fit anything ya put it on.

Even the bolts an spacers worked, so far.

Thinking on replacing the roller cage bearings in the end of the axle tube with a set of seal bearings. Neva seen that done before. But, ive done several neva done its. Before.

Also tube on my spare rear end broke in two, ugh

feller i bought it from, messed up the hubs, i pressed them off the drums and they got run out galore, so they get a hammer and lathe treatment, but im not going to use them on this if i can get away with using the hubs on the rear end this brake set up goes one.

Kit came complete with rotors, calipers hoses emergency cables all of it, nuts bolts spacers, $380 round figure total.

Stay tuned, i worked my ass off finding this, and wore out my brain, but finally something came to fruition. Hopefully, will know more once its in an operating, think the master cyl will get it done 3/4 inch Harley mc.

Ya have to drill out the lug stud holes from the back side a bit, with a step drill i did it, jus enuff that the rotor fits over the small protruding bit of lug stud, or replace the studs with a washer under them to space it back.

Some of my lugs are loose, installed with hammer other will fall out, so i may press in some new ones i have to remedy that. Spot weld on the back of the hub may be in order.

Just wondering?

Instead of spot welds on back of hubs could you drill bolts and wire tie between bolts instead?

Yep ive got a new set of 10 for a jeep m38 that i thought the hubs would work, not so, too big, yep im thinkn new, then we see. Good to hear from your, ya outta post some pics of that trike your building, looks nice.

was gonna tear her down this weekend, but gonna be almost 70, which is a miracle, it was 12 last nite, but girlfriend wants to ride, sooo ya know how that goes. brakes will wait.

Best to ya.:D

Yep ive got a new set of 10 for a jeep m38 that i thought the hubs would work, not so, too big, yep im thinkn new, then we see. Good to hear from your, ya outta post some pics of that trike your building, looks nice.

was gonna tear her down this weekend, but gonna be almost 70, which is a miracle, it was 12 last nite, but girlfriend wants to ride, sooo ya know how that goes. brakes will wait.

Best to ya.:D

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/47571-1994-Genuine-Lehman-Trike-Build

Its alot of work but

You can weld some flash in the holes

Then press in oversize studs

Then spot weld them on the back side

I have used a battery , jumper cables and a hacksaw blade to build up enuff flash to st HD bearing races in trannys and wheel bearing races that were too lose to stay in with good results

May be worth a try

In the old days our shop manager had us weld in lower ball joints that press fit lose, that and loc tite Ford front wheel bearings in press in knuckles

They never stayed in good and I was not comfortable with this kind of fix

I finally refused to do this repair any more

But I have seen tons of welded lugs and it is a good idea IMO

My bad, we called this etching to build up weld The opposite of knurling

Disc brake on harley servi car rear end

howdy folk's , I'm @ 11 months late on this thread , wonderin how the conversion came out ? I have a servi-car that I wold like to put disc's on the back of as well

tks

animal

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png