Exhaust question

StudandSlick

Reaction score
We have a 2014 Vulan 900 with a Storm trike. We love it. Its kind of loud compared to my other bikes. The exhaust leaks where it meets the header. I took the mufflers off, cut wider slits in the pipe and re clamped so everything was thight. We had to do all 4 connections, both mufflers and both ends of the crossover.

It was all quiet and great for less than 1.000 miles. It now sounds like a harley again.

Looking closely, the muffler moves with the body of the trike, yet has no flex coupeling to the head pipes.

Its loud and when I coast, I get exhaust fumes. Yuck!

I think I am looking for a flexible piece of pipe like in a car but the right size.

Any help?

Anybody else have a problem like this?

David

I knew it

I should have not used the H word. Sorry. This is the loudest bike I owned in a long time. We got the wind noise down, but the exhaust leak is down right annoying.

Are you talking about the asbestos tape I sometimes see on racers?

The pipe is going to flex there, I was thinking maybe that asbestos tape and a wide strap clamp.

Thanks for some help

David

I should have not used the H word. Sorry. This is the loudest bike I owned in a long time. We got the wind noise down, but the exhaust leak is down right annoying.

Are you talking about the asbestos tape I sometimes see on racers?

The pipe is going to flex there, I was thinking maybe that asbestos tape and a wide strap clamp.

Thanks for some help

David

Yep that's the stuff ... should flex ... should seal ... worth a shot.

Vulcan 900

We have a 2014 Vulan 900 with a Storm trike. We love it. Its kind of loud compared to my other bikes. The exhaust leaks where it meets the header. I took the mufflers off, cut wider slits in the pipe and re clamped so everything was thight. We had to do all 4 connections, both mufflers and both ends of the crossover.

It was all quiet and great for less than 1.000 miles. It now sounds like a harley again.

Looking closely, the muffler moves with the body of the trike, yet has no flex coupeling to the head pipes.

Its loud and when I coast, I get exhaust fumes. Yuck!

I think I am looking for a flexible piece of pipe like in a car but the right size.

Any help?

Anybody else have a problem like this?

David

The body is attached firmly to the frame of the motorcycle. The engine is mounted firmly to the frame. Once they are all attached together the body, engine and chassis become one unit excepting for the front and rear suspension. The mufflers attach to the body because the exhaust pipes attach to the engine, which like the body are firmly attached to the frame.

A flexpipe would not change anything in the design of the trike. If you have an exhaust leak, that is a different problem. There were gaskets on those mufflers and s-pipes, might they be missing ?

There were no gaskets on the pipes.

It leaks where the header meets the muffler. Engine to header is fine.

When I first got it, I tightened the crossover pipes a couple times because they were rattling.

Then my son and I took the mufflers off and started over. Everything was tight and quiet for a short while.

Do I need gaskets?

Long trip through the wineries in the finger lakes this weekend.

David

Is there a parts picture some where?

OK, I looked for gaskets. None shown where the pipes meet, just at the port on the head.

Still open to suggestions, I would like this quiet and no smell.

I found a pipe wrap kit for $64.95. If this would fix it, I will order it.

David

OK, I looked for gaskets. None shown where the pipes meet, just at the port on the head.

Still open to suggestions, I would like this quiet and no smell.

I found a pipe wrap kit for $64.95. If this would fix it, I will order it.

David

You can probably get some asbestos wrap from Wally world or auto zone ... you won't need much, just enough to cover joints.

I got under the bike. I had her bounce the bike. Then she let the air out of the shock and bounced again. Yes the mufflers move with the bike and not the suspension.

Taking the chrome off now to see what is loose.

David

It is leaking by the clamps. I took off the clamp, lubed the pipe and clamp. I tightened the clamp, then tapped it with a hammer and dolly around the clamp and pipe. Then tightened the clamp a little more. Pound and tighten until it becomes too much. I did both pipes. Its now quiet.

I measured the front lower or forward head pipe it is 1.375" OD. The rear pipe is 1.495" That leaves .12" gap split in half because its a circle minus the thickness of the pipe. .062"? That leaves .058 gap if its all on one side.

Thanks for the help, I hope it stays quiet.

David

It is leaking by the clamps. I took off the clamp, lubed the pipe and clamp. I tightened the clamp, then tapped it with a hammer and dolly around the clamp and pipe. Then tightened the clamp a little more. Pound and tighten until it becomes too much. I did both pipes. Its now quiet.

I measured the front lower or forward head pipe it is 1.375" OD. The rear pipe is 1.495" That leaves .12" gap split in half because its a circle minus the thickness of the pipe. .062"? That leaves .058 gap if its all on one side.

Thanks for the help, I hope it stays quiet.

David

That fitment is not very good and they don't list gaskets for it (see below). Page 17 & 18. Now what you could do is use the wrap mentioned above to fill the gap between the pipes and then tighten the clamps. Use an exhaust tube expander to change the size of the outside pipe if necessary once the wrap is installed.

http://www.championsidecars.com/uploads/5/2/6/7/5267613/kawasaki_vulcan_900_trike_install.pdf

We went to Watkins glen for a couple days. It was quiet, the bike performed flawlessly until the ride home. It loosened up a little and the chrome cover is also rattling.

I have the answer, maybe later this week.

Loving the trike. 5,000 miles so far this year.

David and Michele

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png