over night stays

John you're right on, all you have to do is make yours more difficult to get at than the next one. We had a place at Myrtle Beach for years and never had a problem, my neighbors were not as lucky. I had dead bolts on the doors and they didn't.

I know a popular way to steal a bike is 4 guys and two pieces of pipe. They stick the pipe thru the wheels and carry into a enclosed trialer. Takes about 30 seconds and the bike is gone. As the demand for trike parts grows, so will the theft technology. Already heard of someone using a boom in the back of a pickup. They pulled up to the trike, put two straps around it and boomed into a flat trailer they was pulling. Under a minute from start to finish.

When staying at a Hotel/Motel I usually will ask management permission to park in front so the Trike can be seen from the registration desk.

I lock the front wheel and lock up any items such as an add-on GPS or other electronics & helmets.
I cover the Trike with a half cover to protect it from the elements and interested lookers.

The trailer is locked at the ball and then the trailer lid is locked. Cooler is taken inside for beverages and for replenishing the ice the next morning.

Rule of thumb is not to make anything easy to see and easy to take.

I've toured 35 states since 2008 and have never had a problem..

Another note: Most of the hotel management will make cleaning rags available for you to use if you just ask.

Last edited:
When staying at a Hotel/Motel I usually will ask management permission to park in front so the Trike can be seen from the registration desk.

There is a guy on another forum I hang around on who parked his bike in front for extra security, the next morning it was gone and nobody saw a thing. The front desk staff don't spend much time at the desk late at night, they go in a back room and surf the net, snooze and perform other make busy work.

I used to try an park like that until one hotel employee got me to thinking different. I stopped for the night at a Hampton Inn, when I ask if I could park up front the desk clerk told me I was welcome to if I wanted. She also said there was a chance my trike had a pretty good chance of being or a car door being opened on it due to the volume of traffic through there.

I park in the parking lot and lock things up, I use a tongue lock on the trailer and get a good nights sleep. If someone wants something they'll get it sooner or later.

Use a all weather cover , the TG is a high theft item, if that is what you ride I would look for lodging on the 1st floor with a parking spot in front of your room. I ride a wing which is not as high of a theft item but still follow the above advise.

Use a all weather cover , the TG is a high theft item, if that is what you ride I would look for lodging on the 1st floor with a parking spot in front of your room. I ride a wing which is not as high of a theft item but still follow the above advise.

I, too, use a full cover. Was going to, but never did, get a 1/2 cover. One trick is to not get the fancy HD logo cover for your TriGlide, or any fancy branded cover for your ride. I have an old, stained, patched, rough looking Nelson Rigg cover that is still completely waterproof but looks like crud. I also have the same for my Harley 2-wheeler. I have seen people peek under covers of the rides next to me, but skip mine. I can only assume that the cover looks like hell, so they figure the bike/trike isn't worth the time.

Those of you who travel a lot and stay in motels along the way, how do you secure the trike at night - especially if you also have a trailer. Is a cover a good idea? I have many questions as I am getting close to buying a trike. One of my favorites so far is an 04 Lehman conversion with a matching trailer. The trike is located in another state and would mean a long ride home.
Gerald

A trike is no more likely to be stolen at a hotel than a car. There is however likelihood that some kid or drunk will climb on it. I use a 1/2 cover to discourage it and have never had a problem.

Good point. I've ridden bikes over 40 yrs in 46 states and have never had a problem at any motel I have ever stayed in. The only time I had an issue was when some Mother put her 3 yr old child up on my seat to "play with the switches" and actually got insulted when I informed her she need to get her child off my bike. But that was at a Frischs in Cincinnati when I was not on a road trip.

I've heard most of the stories about how bikes are stolen by four men utilizing two lengths of pipe (or 2x4s), or pickup mounted cranes, or simply rolling it away. But I have never spoken with anyone to whom it has actually happened - except one guy who insisted on parking his scooter in his unlighted front yard in a high-crime neighborhood.

The odds of this happening are simply too negligible for me to worry about it when I travel. In order to steal a 1,000+ lb. trike one would have to be well-prepared and know when and where to look. With the front end locked, picking it up and carrying it off is rather unlikely. I park outside my motel room and use a half-cover to keep the curious off. Never a problem.

I do like to throw a cover over the trike. Not only keeps hands off the trike, it also keeps off the rain, dew, bird residue and such off your ride. Well worth the minor hassle with the cover. I have a full cover, but am thinking of getting a half cover for non-rain times. Still keeps the front, cockpit, passenger area and trunk covered. The bottom half and the fenders are exposed, but I don't sit on those bits.

+1 on the cover. Otherwise the kiddies think it's a climb on toy and their moron parents don't (or won't) stop 'em. Under a cover it's outta sight/outt mind.
That, and a good lock.

+1 on the cover. Otherwise the kiddies think it's a climb on toy and their moron parents don't (or won't) stop 'em. Under a cover it's outta sight/outt mind.
That, and a good lock.

Or the cover could make a great place to play hide & seek.

It's not foolproof but the neighborhood you stay in has something to do with chances somebody will mess with your trike. The best insurance is insurance. Take reasonable precautions but make sure you are insured and leave no valuables in it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searcher
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png