Engine Upgrade

pddgm

90+ Posts
May 15, 2014
Sunrise Beach, MO
Thinking about upgrading my 2008 96 to a 106 cu in using one of S&S kits. I know I will have to upgrade the cams and most likely add a tuner. Wondering if anyone else has done this and what were your results.

Thanks

Joe

Thinking about upgrading my 2008 96 to a 106 cu in using one of S&S kits. I know I will have to upgrade the cams and most likely add a tuner. Wondering if anyone else has done this and what were your results.

Thanks

Joe

There is more to what you need beside adding a larger set of cylinder with pistons and cams. Honestly you need to speak with several shops after you decide what your goals are for power.

Some of the question that should be asked by a shop should be

1) What kind of power are you after? ( Hopefully you know its torque not horsepower )

2) Do you ride on interstates or back roads?

3) Do you ride solo or 2 up?

4) Do you tow a trailer

As far as costs, that will be based on your bank account and what you want for realistic power and performance

You should factor in

1) Flywheel work or replacement. New crank bearings both right and left side

2) Obviously the cylinders and pistons

3) Head work

4) Cams and cam bearings

5) Cam plate and oil pump

6) Piston oiler jets

7) ECM tuner ( TTS Mastertune, Power Vision, etc )

8) Dyno tune

9) Exhaust

10) Clutch pack and spring replacement

11) Final drive ratio change Front pulley/Rear pulley and belt upgrade 30/70 or 30/68 ( Since you have a 08 with a 32/66 ratio setup )

12) Labor costs for those things you choose not to do yourself

All the above is part of the cost and recipe to make reliable proven power for a trike. Like I said there is a lot to consider before jumping down the rabbit hole to add power to your trike

Thanks for the info and input. I am not going to go that extent to upgrade the motor. I have read a lot of the info on S&S's kits and the one I was looking at does not require any flywheel work or boring of cases. Since my 08 has the improved oil pump and plate, I was hoping not to have to replace it. I do ride all the roads you mentioned, two up some and pull a trailer some. The bike only has 26000 miles on it and runs good. Guess I will need to find me a good indy and see what they have to say about it. If I have to spend as much money as you are suggesting, maybe I should just buy a 120. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Something to think about. Harley has a bolt on 110 kit (cyl and pistons, part #92500039). Not a lot of feedback yet and some concern about the thin wall spigot area of the cylinder holding up. I'll be watching for more feedback as more of them hit the street.

Any shop worth their salt will advise you to have run out checked to start. Then go from there. Riding a trike with a passenger and pulling a trailer with more power could cause the flywheels to shift.*

I have a 08 myself. Hit 30k miles and had to rebuild the engine.*

As far as a 120 goes, I would suggest you look at the S&S 124LC complete engine if you go that route. A 1yr warranty and better engine as a drop in.

Thanks for the info and input. I am not going to go that extent to upgrade the motor. I have read a lot of the info on S&S's kits and the one I was looking at does not require any flywheel work or boring of cases. Since my 08 has the improved oil pump and plate, I was hoping not to have to replace it. I do ride all the roads you mentioned, two up some and pull a trailer some. The bike only has 26000 miles on it and runs good.

Guess I will need to find me a good indy and see what they have to say about it.

If I have to spend as much money as you are suggesting, maybe I should just buy a 120.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

There have been reports by reputable builders that some of the 110 cylinders in this kit are out of round from the start. They have had to overbore them to true them up.

Something to think about. Harley has a bolt on 110 kit (cyl and pistons, part #92500039). Not a lot of feedback yet and some concern about the thin wall spigot area of the cylinder holding up. I'll be watching for more feedback as more of them hit the street.

For what it's worth on the 110 bolt in kit from HD, it's looking like the luck of the draw with them. I have been told of out of round to start with and others come in OK. That said I have also been sent a few pictures of the spigot cracked as well already!

So for the time being I could not recommend them (HD 110 bolt on cylinders) in a Trike due to the heavy weight all the time and the additional heat generated by them.

For what it's worth on the 110 bolt in kit from HD, it's looking like the luck of the draw with them. I have been told of out of round to start with and others come in OK. That said I have also been sent a few pictures of the spigot cracked as well already!

So for the time being I could not recommend them (HD 110 bolt on cylinders) in a Trike due to the heavy weight all the time and the additional heat generated by them.

Thanks Steve, was thinking about asking your opinion as I will probably be having a set of your cams installed this winter. Seems like they would go well with a 110.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png