Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot

Ol' Man Jeb

1750+ Posts
Sep 8, 2013
Bettendorf, Ia
When I put my '06 GL1800 away for the winter, I had it connected to a battery tender in a heated ( 58°)garage. A couple nice warm days ago, I decided to unleash it to wash and summerize it. The Battery Tender green light was flickering like a strobe light and the trike showed no power, key on. I hooked a spare Tender for a few hours and turned the key. I had power to the instrument cluster. Will the Tender eventually revive the battery?

When I put my '06 GL1800 away for the winter, I had it connected to a battery tender in a heated ( 58°)garage. A couple nice warm days ago, I decided to unleash it to wash and summerize it. The Battery Tender green light was flickering like a strobe light and the trike showed no power, key on. I hooked a spare Tender for a few hours and turned the key. I had power to the instrument cluster. Will the Tender eventually revive the battery?

If the battery was way too low a battery tender won’t retrieve the battery you might have to put it on a regular charger 5 Amps or better for a little while to get some juice back in to the battery and then the tender might/will pick it up from there when the battery gets too low tenders don’t work.. how old is the battery it could have a bad cell if it’s old enough and no matter what you do that battery is Shot..

Hey Jeb, what Paul and Bob said, save yourself some grief, new battery. I sure understand with the price of everything these days, ya want to save the battery, but it's a lost cause.

If the battery was way too low a battery tender won’t retrieve the battery you might have to put it on a regular charger 5 Amps or better for a little while to get some juice back in to the battery and then the tender might/will pick it up from there when the battery gets too low tenders don’t work.. how old is the battery it could have a bad cell if it’s old enough and no matter what you do that battery is Shot..

Battery had a full charge when I put the trike away for the winter. I'll get a new battery.

Save yourself a problem, It sounds like a bad battery, it will fail when your FAR away for home at a wrong time...(so not only will you have to purchase another battery anyways, BUT also pay for a tow, and a few hours of B/S sitting waiting for that tow truck....(usually either in the HOT sun/OR rainy cold clammy day)

Just a very friendly suggestion here: Change it while it's in your garage or driveway, so much easier!!!:Depressed::

Ronnie

3/23/22

Battery had a full charge when I put the trike away for the winter. I'll get a new battery.

i quit using battery tender brand tenders years ago. i had a couple of them go bad and would not go into float mode. hence they basically turned into a permanent trickle charger. over charging the battery all winter and killing it. iv'e been using a c-tec tender for years now and have had no issues with it at all. but i definitely agree with the above statement. if that battery was that low even if it does take a charge it will not last.

Usually with a battery tender if the green light is flashing you have an issue. Usually it means you have a cell gone bad or shorted. Ive used a battery tender plus on my car and trike the last 15 years and this is what Ive found.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png