An Idea Percolating....

Jun 15, 2013
Red Banks, MS
Last week I was talking to Papa Zook about the possibility of doing a Harley Trike Conversion.

IF we did, I would pick out a donor bike.

Cut-n-Shoot would do the conversion. I do not have the time, expertise or desire...and Papa Zook is the expert on Trike Conversions.

It sounds like it would be a fun project, and I know I would really enjoy riding it.

I have a few ideas already:

It will have a carburetor, no EFI. It's got to sound good, and carbed bikes are easier to get an old school sound out of .

Having less electrics is a bonus.

Thinking the donor should be a Softail, but open to the Touring platform.

Would not even mind if it had a blown motor and was replaced with an S&S.

Of course, we would use DK Custom parts where ever we could.

We would rely on Cut-n-Shoot expertise for which conversion kit to use.

Would have to have an old school look and sound.

Anyways, it's all just in the "maybe this would be a good thing to do" talking about stage. We'll see if it ever moves to reality.

Kevin

The picture looks good...but you should see this trike in person.

Just awesome!

Zook brought it to the Kerrville meetup this past October where this pic was taken.

Sounds like fun to me.. It would have to be an independent suspension so you know what a real trike rides like... ;)

Start checking out Roadsmith, Hannigan, CSC and Champion/Lehman sites to compare the styling and see which style strikes your fancy.

Are there more independent sprung kit options for touring vs softail for evo powered bikes?
(Assuming evo due to the carb detail)

Not sure how the various sponsors would look at this but a totally custom built trike, incorporating the best performance and creature comfort features from all manufacturers could be fabbed from scratch if time and $$ permits...:clapping:

Nice dig ... LOL

Gotta be IRS is the first thing I said when Kevin called me with the idea. :D He agreed...

The last major manufacturer to build solid axle kits is Champion/Lehman and they are in the process of discontinuing them altogether except for the Harley Sportster, so solid axle is not really an option any longer in a full bodied conversion.

Sounds like fun to me.. It would have to be an independent suspension so you know what a real trike rides like... ;)

Start checking out Roadsmith, Hannigan, CSC and Champion/Lehman sites to compare the styling and see which style strikes your fancy.

lol, yeah, IRS for sure. I need to get you on a TG with 14" TSS and Comfort Lift™ so you can feel how nicely it rides.

But, if we do a build, it's definitely gotta be the best IRS there is.

Regarding styles, I'm all over the place. Been looking, and nothing has clicked in yet. I'll know it when I see it.

Are there more independent sprung kit options for touring vs softail for evo powered bikes?
(Assuming evo due to the carb detail)

Not sure how the various sponsors would look at this but a totally custom built trike, incorporating the best performance and creature comfort features from all manufacturers could be fabbed from scratch if time and $$ permits...:clapping:

Twin Cams could be had with EFI OR Carburetor up through 2006. 2007 was the first year when all Harley's went to EFI only. I had a carbed 2005 Road King. Should have never sold it, would have been a great donor bike for this project.

That said, I really like the sound of an Evo, even more than a carbed TC. So many choices!!!

I'm keeping the TG for all the creature comforts....leaning toward making this more of a "hot rod" Trike. Can't really afford, nor do I need, two fully decked out Trikes.

Fabbing something from scratch, with the best from everyone would be great! I don't have the time or the $...Zook, you want to donate a hundred plus hours of your time to do that? :laugh:

Gotta be IRS is the first thing I said when Kevin called me with the idea. :D He agreed...

The last major manufacturer to build solid axle kits is Champion/Lehman and they are in the process of discontinuing them altogether except for the Harley Sportster, so solid axle is not really an option any longer in a full bodied conversion.

Yep, I want to put some thousands of miles, including tearing thru the twisties, on an IRS trike. :)

But seriously, if doing a conversion, only makes sense to do an IRS. But its' got to stay flat in the hard curves.

Can I add my 2cents on this? May I suggest a Road-glide converted to a trike as you do not see many of them.

You tempt me! A sharknose would be so much nicer than a batwing....look at Gorrila's. But I don't see a clear financial path to be able to do that.

Probability is that this build will not even have a fairing. But who knows, not me, so many thoughts banging around about the possibilities.

Kevin

Many good ideas and parts come from salvage yards, there's a possibility of a good fairing for a project just waiting.

Auctions be it insurance, dealer or repos is another place to scoop up a bike. You may even find an Evo powered Road-glide that can be had cheaply.

https://www.npauctions.com/ContentPage.aspx?cp=HP

https://www.powersportsauction.com/

The video below is an example of something I'd attempt to make.

Last edited:
Many good ideas and parts come from salvage yards, there's a possibility of a good fairing for a project just waiting.

Auctions be it insurance, dealer or repos is another place to scoop up a bike. You may even find an Evo powered Road-glide that can be had cheaply.

Now that's funny right there. Kevin ... you could make a fake Harley bike conversion to a trike ... :D

:) An M8 CVO Road Glide with IRS would be one bad butt trike with Muscle to haul the gear on long trips in style just sayin...:D Build safe FredView attachment 66895P.S. Pirated picture I believe Zook built this one couple years ago. LOL

+1 ... the shark nose makes a mean trike ... but, I'm guessing an m8 cvo is gonna end up being $45-50k as an IRS trike ... maybe more if you do any upgrades ... of course .. with a cvo there shouldn't be many ... tuner, exhaust, oil filter relocater ... etc ... :D

Also ... I think Kevin wants a naturally aspirated model ... but I like your thinking ... :D

An Evo platform would be a good choice IMO:clapping:

That or (I can dream) a shovel!

Thank you for the tip on the auctions.

Not ready for a pedal powered trike yet. lol

Now that's funny right there. Kevin ... you could make a fake Harley bike conversion to a trike ... :D

Nah....I am interested in the HD E-Bikes though! :)

:) An M8 CVO Road Glide with IRS would be one bad butt trike with Muscle to haul the gear on long trips in style just sayin...:D Build safe FredView attachment 66895P.S. Pirated picture I believe Zook built this one couple years ago. LOL

I agree!

But I'm thinking this one will be more stripped down, plus definitely carbed. That said, I did see a video of someone that had converted an M8 to carbed. :)

+1 ... the shark nose makes a mean trike ... but, I'm guessing an m8 cvo is gonna end up being $45-50k as an IRS trike ... maybe more if you do any upgrades ... of course .. with a cvo there shouldn't be many ... tuner, exhaust, oil filter relocater ... etc ... :D

Also ... I think Kevin wants a naturally aspirated model ... but I like your thinking ... :D

Yep, carbed, and a budget build! :D

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png