experience with a Motortrike Tomahawk conversion

DanL

Aug 18, 2017
Manchester, NH
Got my 2017 Roadmaster in April 2017 then talked to Luke at New England Trike In Peabody MA about a Motortrike conversion. Luke is great, he is the only one who works on the conversion from start to finish, which is very important since multiple people working on the conversion can get confusing. I've heard other owners having problems with multiple people doing the conversion and either overlooking something or forgetting to do something.

After the conversion, I found out I had one of the newest Motortrike Roadmaster conversions. It is the the 1st with an electric reverse. The reverse has it's own supplemental battery that is charged with the standard Indian system. Motortrike had to design & build the electrical harness for the reverse. They did not have a harness until I ordered the reverse. During the 1st week after getting the trike, the reverse would not work. Luke traced it back to a blown 30Amp fuse. The fender skirts need a 1/4" socket with a long (14+") extension to remove one. They don't make it easy. seems like it would have been easy to design clips for the top of the skirts. I had paid extra for the Indian passenger arm rests but found out they can't be used on the Tomahawk because of the lack of support. Which kind of bummed out my wife.

Motortrike did a fantastic job matching the paint scheme (3 colors) however, when they did the painting they kept the cover (used for paint colors) near where they were spraying and as a result, the cover received overspray and needed to be buffed out by a local body shop. Luke took care of it under warranty. :)

The independent rear end is nice and helps with the corners. and the bike does look very nice. I've had it to the dealers for standard service and they were impressed with the Motortrike conversion. I love the Roadmaster and like the motortrike except for the few things I mentioned above.:birgitsgiggle: We have put a few thousand miles on the trike and are still happy with the conversion.UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_922.jpg

That is a mighty fine looking conversion and another option for me to get confused over. I do like their reverse solution. They must have used one of the two extra switched connecters on the Roadmaster. I'll hate giving up my saddlebags and the graphics on them. Makes my Blue Diamond a very unique machine.

You and everyone involved did very good.
injunthumbup.jpg

passenger arm rests?

Got my 2017 Roadmaster in April 2017 then talked to Luke at New England Trike In Peabody MA about a Motortrike conversion. Luke is great, he is the only one who works on the conversion from start to finish, which is very important since multiple people working on the conversion can get confusing. I've heard other owners having problems with multiple people doing the conversion and either overlooking something or forgetting to do something.

After the conversion, I found out I had one of the newest Motortrike Roadmaster conversions. It is the the 1st with an electric reverse. The reverse has it's own supplemental battery that is charged with the standard Indian system. Motortrike had to design & build the electrical harness for the reverse. They did not have a harness until I ordered the reverse. During the 1st week after getting the trike, the reverse would not work. Luke traced it back to a blown 30Amp fuse. The fender skirts need a 1/4" socket with a long (14+") extension to remove one. They don't make it easy. seems like it would have been easy to design clips for the top of the skirts. I had paid extra for the Indian passenger arm rests but found out they can't be used on the Tomahawk because of the lack of support. Which kind of bummed out my wife.

Motortrike did a fantastic job matching the paint scheme (3 colors) however, when they did the painting they kept the cover (used for paint colors) near where they were spraying and as a result, the cover received overspray and needed to be buffed out by a local body shop. Luke took care of it under warranty. :)

The independent rear end is nice and helps with the corners. and the bike does look very nice. I've had it to the dealers for standard service and they were impressed with the Motortrike conversion. I love the Roadmaster and like the motortrike except for the few things I mentioned above.:birgitsgiggle: We have put a few thousand miles on the trike and are still happy with the conversion.View attachment 50586

I think someone was pulling your leg or just didn't want to do the work. or ordered the wrong kit. I've got a motortrike kit and the local dealer installed my factory arm rests without any problems, But Motor trike also can sell arm rests that look just like the factory arms that fit but you do have to tell them so they can drill and cut the body.

Attachments

• new indian.jpg
    new indian.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 292
misunderstanding about armrests

I think someone was pulling your leg or just didn't want to do the work. or ordered the wrong kit. I've got a motortrike kit and the local dealer installed my factory arm rests without any problems, But Motor trike also can sell arm rests that look just like the factory arms that fit but you do have to tell them so they can drill and cut the body.

The arm rests on your bike (the blue is a sharp color) are not the ones i was referring too. the arm rests I mentioned are these:

Attachments

• indian arm rest.jpg
    indian arm rest.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 196
she loves them but there is a difference in the ones we used

I'd love to see how they supported them on the trike kit. What does your wife think of them?

We used the "Indian "factory" ones, made for the road master bike. Motor trikes version is a little difference.Oh and we had to tell motor trike we were ours before the built the body. They cut a couple of long slits in the top under where the box bolts on.

Last edited:
Glad MotorTrike accomodated you because

We used the "Indian "factory" ones, made for the road master bike. Motor trikes version is a little difference.Oh and we had to tell motor trike we were ours before the built the body. They cut a couple of long slits in the top under where the box bolts on.

They told me it was not possible to use the ones I had on the bike.:mad:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png