new forum member with Voyager questions

krazybob

Reaction score
I've ridden two wheels for over 50 years, and a week ago I bought a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic with a Voyager kit. I have a couple of questions for those who may have the same setup. Looking at the Voyager manual that the seller included, it mentions setting up the pre-load, and mentions rolling the tire onto a preload plate, but it doesn't show what a preload plate looks like, even tho it says that there is a picture of it.:Shrug: I assume that the original owner, (the seller was the second owner) set up the preload, and I wonder if the preload would change from usage?

It says that with my bike the preload should be 1/2", but don't see anything on the kit to show the preload setting. :Shrug: I took a 100 mile ride through our local twisties which showed me that riding the twisties on this machine is much more work than my other two wheel bike which is the same brand different model (Nomad). I also noticed that any bumps in the road however small, transferred into the handlebar vibration, much more than a two wheel bike would experience. I was under the impression that the Voyager kit came with torsion suspension, but mine has springs and shocks, which may mean the kit may be an older model ?

I hit 70mph easy and it is a stable ride. When I get more comfy on it, I'll take it up to our highway speed at 75 and maybe to 80 to see how it handles. So far, it is rather fun to ride, but rides and steers like I'm riding my ATV,, only much faster ThumbUp. The next post will be about pulling a trailer with this setup :Coffee:

Krazybob

From what I can tell, the pre-load plate is any piece of stock (plastic, metal, wood) that is of the thickness you need. 1/2" pre-load would require a 1/2" piece of plywood about 6"x6". A typical 1x4 piece of wood would give you a 3/4" pre-load. A 2x4 would be 1 1/2".

If I'm incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me..........

You can use a short piece of 1X4 or 1X6 to drive the rear tire onto to preload your Voyager. Even though 1/2 inch is recommended, several here including myself will attest to 3/4 - 1 inch being the better pre-load setting (been a Voyager dealer for several years now).

You can use a short piece of 1X4 or 1X6 to drive the rear tire onto to preload your Voyager. Even though 1/2 inch is recommended, several here including myself will attest to 3/4 - 1 inch being the better pre-load setting (been a Voyager dealer for several years now).

I received lots of good input info in regards to setting the preload, and now that it's started the rainy season :-(,, I'll have time to do this along with a couple of other things like changing the oil and filter, which looks like servicing that bike isn't going to be all that easy :-( That belly plate is only 4" off the floor, and my bike jack is 5", so I'll have to find some way to get it high enough to get the drain pan under it to drain the oil. Maybe someone can pass along a few good ideas as to how to make doing the service easier on these bad boys?? ;)

Oil change assist...possibly.

I received lots of good input info in regards to setting the preload, and now that it's started the rainy season :-(,, I'll have time to do this along with a couple of other things like changing the oil and filter, which looks like servicing that bike isn't going to be all that easy :-( That belly plate is only 4" off the floor, and my bike jack is 5", so I'll have to find some way to get it high enough to get the drain pan under it to drain the oil. Maybe someone can pass along a few good ideas as to how to make doing the service easier on these bad boys?? ;)

I have a similar issue with my 2006 Vstar 1100 Custom with a Voyager kit installed with even less clearance. My solution was to use an oil extractor OEMTOOLS 24937 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7YV5GN? through the oil fill port. Cost me a few bucks but it keeps me off of the ground. I can change my oil and filter now in 15 minutes. I can't promise it will work for you but it was my solution to a very huge problem for me.

I also installed an oil filter relocation kit to eliminate having to remove the exhaust pipes and footboard whenever I needed to change the internal filter (min. 3 hour) ordeal.

Yamaha engineers had to have been snorting Krack when they came up with that stupid idea....

Happy Trails !!!

Yes sir, the Voyagers take some getting used to and some "tinkering" with preload

I have a 2003 Road King Classic with a Voyager installed. along with some other gear to get me where I wanted to be. I use 1-inch of preload with my "loaded up" rig. It is an old model with two rear shocks, but she looks good and riders better. There are several posts on the forum that will assist you in getting your ride squared away. It took me awhile, with associated cussin' and wrenchin' but I got it. :D

Oldveteran :Trike1:

Suggestion for older Voyager kits.

used Voyager kits

I purchased a used Voyager on Craigslist for under $1000.00

It came off a Harley Bagger, It is the "B" frame for Bigger Bikes.

I had to purchase the install mounts for my 1997 GoldWing from Voyager.

It has been on my Wing for a couple of years or more.

I have had no issues or regrets with the kit, other than pre load adjustments over the riding season.

My kit is the older model frame that incorporated what they called a "lockbar" to keep the preload setting and it

did not work well.

I noticed on the Voyager site that the new kits use "lock blocks" under the axle to hold the pre load.

I purchased a set from voyager, removed the "lock bar" from my kit , installed the "lock blocks" And I have absolutely

No further issues with my preload.

We ride two up all season long with no issues at all.

I went dark side on the wing and we are extremely happy with the kit.

I just wanted to share the "lock block" info with anyone who may purchase a older kit with the original lock bar.

They are worth the investment.

As the cooking infomercial used to say, "set it and forget it?

My sweet spot for preload is 1 1/2 inches,

We ride 2 up 90% of the time and I have been SOLD on voyager.

I have a number of posts on my Voyager experiences to get it dialed in.

No Regrets...​

It says that with my bike the preload should be 1/2", but don't see anything on the kit to show the preload setting. :Shrug: I took a 100 mile ride through our local twisties which showed me that riding the twisties on this machine is much more work than my other two wheel bike which is the same brand different model (Nomad). I also noticed that any bumps in the road however small, transferred into the handlebar vibration, much more than a two wheel bike would experience. I was under the impression that the Voyager kit came with torsion suspension, but mine has springs and shocks, which may mean the kit may be an older model ?

I hit 70mph easy and it is a stable ride. When I get more comfy on it, I'll take it up to our highway speed at 75 and maybe to 80 to see how it handles. So far, it is rather fun to ride, but rides and steers like I'm riding my ATV,, only much faster ThumbUp. The next post will be about pulling a trailer with this setup :Coffee:

Krazybob[/QUOTE]

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png