• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Transmission and Primary change?

hardwickbv

1500+ Posts
Reaction score
I am coming up on 5000 miles on my 17 tri-glide and am looking at doing the service myself.

I was looking at the service manual and see that the recommended mileage for the transmission and Primary is 10000 miles.

How often do you all change the fluids in the transmission and primary?

I am leaning with sticking with the 10000 but thought I would see what everyone else is doing.

Thanks

Bob

I am coming up on 5000 miles on my 17 tri-glide and am looking at doing the service myself.

I was looking at the service manual and see that the recommended mileage for the transmission and Primary is 10000 miles.

I am leaning with sticking with the 10000 but thought I would see what everyone else is doing.

Thanks

Bob

I change the primary and trans fluid every other oil change. Usually 3 to 4 thousand miles.

Most of the time I change my primary out at the same time as an oil change (4000-5000 miles).

I know it is not called for, and sometimes I let it go 8000-10000 miles, but it certainly can't hurt to go more often than 10k. I have been using syn3 in the primary for quite a while now. I like how it makes the clutch feel.

I use redline HD Shockproof in the trans and change it out every 8000-10000 miles.

Kevin

2014 - I change all every 5k miles (doing the service myself) Syn 3 in motor, Formula+ in primary, Bel-Ray 85W-140 in tranny. The primary oil really takes a beating and the only one I would let go for every other change would be the tranny. The tranny IMO is the easiest one to do .... so why not! I service the air filter every time and at 25k I replaced it (factory filter for me). I invested in the tools needed to do my own service that I did not already have (long extended torx socket set, funnels, plastic bottles for each fluid with fill marks on them, oil filter removal tool with cut-out for crank position sensor clearance). I use my 3/8 drive impact tool for loosening up those primary torx screws. inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches. Factory service manual and trike supplement.

Investing in tools needed after 29K miles still puts me way ahead than paying for every oil service .... and I know it has been done correctly.

Bob :Dorag:

Right now the plan is to use SYN 3 for all three and use the recommended intervals at least for now.

I do plan on picking up any special tools required for service and doing it my self as it is 1 1/2 hr. ride one way to the nearest dealer I would take it to.

I have ordered DK's Filter relocation kit with oil cooler so when I do the 5000 service that will be going on.

Thanks for the responses

Bob

Fluids are cheap. Engines and transmissions are expensive.

These engines take a LOT of heat and heat is the enemy of lubriicants.

I change the fludis every 5k miles on what's a very expensive toy.

But that's just me.

Thanks

Bob

The Trans oil is recommend to change at 20,000 I use Redline and change at 20,000 after the first 1000 service, Comes out the way it went in looking like new if water did not get in the trans.

Seems like 5000 miles is a popular number,I also change every 5000.Lucas syn in the engine,HD primary oil in primary and Belray 85-140 in trans.

I change all 3 holes every 5000 miles, Red Line all around.

I do a regular oil change at between 4,000 and 5,000. Every other change I do the other two holes. I use Syn-3 for all three. I am sticking with this until at least the end of my first two years.

Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil, Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin Primary Fluid and Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin Transmission Fluid every 5K. Overkill, but what the hell!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png