Cleaned out the freezer and made Chili !

Rsw

Sep 8, 2011
Little Hocking, Ohio
Dad said he wanted to clean out the freezer, so I thought it would be a good day to make some chili. We started with 30 lbs of vine ripened Jet Star Tomatoes, 5 lbs diced Sweet Bell Peppers, 4 lbs diced Sweet Banana Peepers and 5 lbs diced Sweet Onions. All grown in our garden and all 100 percent organic. Froze it all at the end of summer. Brought all that to a boil and cooked till the peppers was soft. Added sugar, brown sugar, Chili powder, Garlic salt, two cans of Green Chili Peppers, some herbs and spices that I can’t spell and a big shot of Distilled Vinegar. Let all this cook till it all the flavors were blended together. What I ended up with was almost 5 gallons of super concentrated Chili mix. So we put 12 quarts in jars to be used another day.
After a short break, fired the stove back up to make the chili. I had about 7 quarts of the concentrated mix left in the pan. Added 8 quarts of tomatoe juice that we caned in the fall. Brought that back up to a full boil for about an hour. Then added 5 lbs of cooked hamburger, 4 quarts of red kidney beans and fine tuned with some more Chili powder and brown sugar. We ended up with 17 full quarts of killer Chili and enough for both to have a bowl for lunch tomorrow. All this took 6 hours, but that was 6 hours I got to enjoy with my dad.

What a prolific garden !
What a memorable day.
What a meal.
What great memories.
I like a bit of chilli but I don't think anything I have eaten comes close to what you and your Dad put together.

Well we give it the official day after taste test. It turned out to be one of the best pots of chili we have ever made. Think dad sneaked off with a jar and had him a extra snack today. Just happy he enjoys it!! We have been building up the soil for several years with organic compost and it really paid off with the taste last year. Looking forward to water melon season. Nothing like a ice cold 30 pound Cremson Sweet melon for a after dinner snack!

Okay, save us some jars of chili till we can test-taste it in June in Maggie Valley!! John's the official chili-tester in the family; I'm the cornbread maker - not bad for a Yankee and a hillbilly livin' in Texas.

By the way, put Dad on a bike or trike and bring him along - we need to hear some stories about that garden!!

Okay, save us some jars of chili till we can test-taste it in June in Maggie Valley!! John's the official chili-tester in the family; I'm the cornbread maker - not bad for a Yankee and a hillbilly livin' in Texas.

By the way, put Dad on a bike or trike and bring him along - we need to hear some stories about that garden!!

Sorry to say I wont be making it to to many places this year. But will be hitting the road hard next year. But a big piece of warm cornbread in the middle of a bowl of chili is just about the best meal there is!!!ThumbUp Then a peace of warm cornbread in a cold glass of milk for desert!! :10: Maybe I could mail you a quart or two. :)

Sorry to say I wont be making it to to many places this year. But will be hitting the road hard next year. But a big piece of warm cornbread in the middle of a bowl of chili is just about the best meal there is!!!ThumbUp Then a peace of warm cornbread in a cold glass of milk for desert!! :10: Maybe I could mail you a quart or two. :)

Cornbread in cold milk - with salt 'n' pepper!! Haven't had that in about forty years!! Will have to make a pan and try it one more time! Thanks!!

Cornbread in cold milk - with salt 'n' pepper!! Haven't had that in about forty years!! Will have to make a pan and try it one more time! Thanks!!

Now you got me thinkng about making a big pot of soup beans. I think Dad saved that ham bone out Christmas ham!! So I might be needing that cornbread mailed Overnight Express!! :)

Never put salt and pepper in my cold milk and cornbread before, just a spoon full of sugar.ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png