Front tire for Valkyrie trike

Sep 26, 2010
Paola, KS
Hello all. My wife has a 2001 Valkyrie trike and am needing to replace the front tire. I am wanting to go with a rear tire reverse rotation, however I am having a hard time finding a 150/80 17 rear tire. Any suggestions on what size to use and how changing the size will effect the speedometer and odometer. Thank you.

Dave

088.JPG

I've never found a 150/80-17 front, don't believe they make one. I've a friend uses a 130/90-17, finds them at a HD dealer. He seems to like them. I don't know the brand.

I have a Dunlop D404 bias 150/80 on the front of mine. Not enough miles to make a comparison yet.

I have a rear tire mounted in reverse up front on my Valk trike. I'm at work now but I will post the size when I get home in the afternoon. I'll also give you the dealer I bought the tire from. ThumbUp

I'd also like to ask how you mounted the trunk on your wife's Valk. I rarely have a passenger and I'd like to do the same conversion.

I put a Michelin Pilot-Activ rear in reverse rotation on the front of my Valkyrie trike (can't remember the size and it is in S.C. at this time) and it made a world of difference. Next step is the rake kit I ordered the other day.

Rich,

PM me your e-mail and I can send you some pictures of the trunk mount or it can be seen at Inzane in Eureka Springs in July.

Dave

Dave,

The tire I'm using is a Michelin Pilot-Active 150/70-17. Bought it from BlueRidge PowerSports in Harrisonburg, VA. They also mounted it for me.

I'll send you a PM regarding the trunk mount.

i just took that same michlin off the front of my trike even though it was in good shape..if ya want it you can have it..reason i took it off.
i noticed after i installed it last year i was able to go increasingly farther between gas stops. thought that was odd. so i got to checking my speedo..it was way off also my odometer was way off my odo was registering 1 mile and i was only going 8/10ths. i checked a tire calculator website and found that michlin was about 1/2 shorter in size..i just installed a shinko 130/90/17 onm the front..according to the tire calculator it's only 1/16th shorter than stock.

Thanks fellas that's the information I needed. 3W-lonerider increased gas milage. Thats not such a bad thing. :laugh: Thanks for your help.

Dave

Thanks fellas that's the information I needed. 3W-lonerider increased gas milage. Thats not such a bad thing. :laugh: Thanks for your help.

Dave

in all actuallity my gas mileage did'nt increase. but the mileage on the trike was increasing more than it should have...when i checked my odo..i was registering 1 mile when actual mileage was only 8/10ths and speedo was way off..

Lowering the side wall to the the 70 will throw it off going to a. 90 would be. Better . 130 x 90x 17 is what I would look for . I increase. Mine. From a 130x 70 18 to a 130 x 80 x18 and my speedo is right on now . I have enough. Clerance on the 1500 but understand there might not be Enough on the. 1800 .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png