vw trike with hd switch gear

Sep 14, 2010
uk yorkshire
HI ALL, I DO NOT POST OFTEN BUT NEED SOME ASSISTANCE WITH AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM PLEASE,
I AM USING HD SWITCH GEAR ON MY VW TRIKE BUILD BUT CANNOT FATHOM OUT THE START AND KILL SWITCH WIRING ON THE RIGHT HAND SWITCH,WHEN I WIRE UP AS I THINK IT SAYS ON THE HD DIAGRAM I GET A LIVE FEED BACK DOWN WHAT I THINK SHOULD BE THE COIL CUT OFF WIRE, THERE IS TWO WHITE WITH BLACK TRACE WIRES,A RED WIRE AND ORANGE WIRE,I THINK ARE THE TURN SIGNAL WIRES, A BLACK WITH RED TRACE I THINK IS THE LIVE FEED FROM THE IGNITION, AND A GREY WIRE WHICH I THINK IS THE COIL CUT WIRE, ANY HELP FROM ANYONE OR MAYBE A WIRING DIAGRAM WITH THOSE COLOUR CODESMAY HELP ME OUT, THANKS ALL, STEVE IN THE WET WILD DALES OF NORTH YORKSHIRE, UK.:Trike1::Trike1:

The gray wire is for the coil line[hook it to your coil and when you want to kill it all turn it to off post.]\ The orange wire is power wire for your turn signal and the start button as well as the run button, Red/Blk wire is for you to start the motor with if you want to use[but you will need a HD relay or Briggs stratton solenoid to work], you should have a brown/white wire for you right turn signal.
I hope this helps, I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me, but I have done alot of these. But at times the ole mind slips now and then.

the gray wire is for the coil line[hook it to your coil and when you want to kill it all turn it to off post.]\ the orange wire is power wire for your turn signal and the start button as well as the run button, red/blk wire is for you to start the motor with if you want to use[but you will need a hd relay or briggs stratton solenoid to work], you should have a brown/white wire for you right turn signal.
I hope this helps, i don't have the wiring diagram in front of me, but i have done alot of these. But at times the ole mind slips now and then.
hi, thanks for taking the time to help me with the wiring problem, i am with you on the wires up to the point where you say i should have a brown/white wire for right turn signal, because i have got left two white with black trace, and a red with yellow trace, not sure what these are for,
i have already tried looking at the hd diagrams but because i do not know the year of my switches its impossible to find the correct one out of hundreds , i purchased them from auto jumble,i thought the white with black trace wires may have been an earth wire but not certain,
the wires that come from the switchgear end in an orange six pin plug,although i have cut that off now, any more ideas would be gratefully tried, regards to all , steve.

Steve,
the wiring I use is an aftermarket item and has no plug on the end, but I will see If I can find my copy of the diagram and send to you on here,
The one I use is for a '84 HD and newer.
Are you trying to wire both sides of the controls or ?[left and right side]

STEVE,
HERE IS WHAT I HAVE,
LEFT SIDE:Left Turn Switch-----White/Violet [l-turn],
Orange wire Power,
Horn button, Orange wire hot,
yellow/black, goes to the horn button
Headlight switch-Blue wire power,
White wire -Hi Beam,
Yellow wire-Lo beam,

Right controls,
off-Runn-Grey wire[goes to your coil on the positive side]
White/Black-Power,
Start-Black/Red wire
Right Turn signal-White brown
Orange power to that switch.
There is a Red/Yellow wire that is for the front brake switch that you can hook up to your rear brake light if you want to use it, if you do so, the Orange wire is powder for that button too.
Hope this helps,

Hi my friend, thank you for taking time out to look this up and respond, i am down the workshop tommorow so will give it another try, also managed to get my fuel line today so cross fingers i may have it running tommorow, yeah right, like every thing going to go right,
but i can live in hope i suppose.
Regards steve.

Hi, thanks for the info on the hd switch wiring i at long last got the engine fired up and running with your help, thank you, also found that the grey wire had broken inside the insulation, so a drop of solder and job done, next is the lights so should be on the road by easter hopefully,
thanks again and regards from steve, uk.

Steve,
Glad I was able to help, hooking up the lites is easy, try hooking up fog lites to the high beam will do wonders too.
Let us see your trike when you get a change too show them.

Will do, just need to work out how to post pics, have tried and failed on two occasions, but will give it another try soon, i have taken pics since it was a pile of rotten parts and up to date i have two albums and two note pads full off tech build tips, so when i am old and grey i can have some reading material, ooh ooh the other half says i have already got old and grey,,,, i suppose i best start reading.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png