Satellite Radio

TrikerMimi

TOI - Illinois
Jun 2, 2010
Bartlett, IL
We desperately want to add satellite radio to our trike, but can't seem to find which unit is best and if the installation is difficult. Any ideas?? :Shrug:

I'm also considering doing the same.

At present, I'm going to go for one of the Garmin Zumo GPS units. These GPS units also have the provisions for Satellite Radio and they plays MP3 files for your music. So if you don't have a GPS yet, you might consider one of these.

I have had a Zumo 550 for years and always knew about the XM setup but never did anything with it..Today I ran across the antenna which is also the receiver at a deal that I just could not turn down..I hooked everything up,just put the antenna in a windshield bag,Great reception and I am wearing a very large grin..

I use my Iphone4 using tunein radio. You get any kind of music incl your local stations.

I am on C Spire, have unlimited INTERNET.

I have had a Zumo 550 for years and always knew about the XM setup but never did anything with it..Today I ran across the antenna which is also the receiver at a deal that I just could not turn down..I hooked everything up,just put the antenna in a windshield bag,Great reception and I am wearing a very large grin..

I'm using the Zumo 550 with XM antenna on my Trike, I'm an XM radio junkie. I have one in the house, the Zumo 550 antenna on the trike and the factory one installed on my 06 Ultra.

I love the suggestion, but yikes! wasn't prepared to spend 600 bucks on a GPS unit!! Just wanted to get a radio from XM and install on the bike. (Radios are only about 129) I will definately keep the GPS in mind if my financial situation allows in the future.

I went to Best Buy and bought a radio off the shelf that was satellite ready--they installed it, antenna is inside the fairing. cost just over 200.00 installed. sirus--cd player--sd card player --ear phone-aux plug Works great

(l ready had the speakers)

View attachment 5208

I love the suggestion, but yikes! wasn't prepared to spend 600 bucks on a GPS unit!! Just wanted to get a radio from XM and install on the bike. (Radios are only about 129) I will definately keep the GPS in mind if my financial situation allows in the future.

All you need is a handlebar docking kit available from RAM MOUNT and a satellite radio. I have installed Sirius radios on GL1800. The pigtail in the left dash pocket will integrate it to your factory system. A power accessory plug is also located under the left dash pocket to give the satellite radio power. I would mount the satellite antenna on the dash behind the windshield and below the windshield vent for best reception.

I just got a XM radio kit from Radio shack, I put the radio and docking hardware in the
center windshield bag (3 bag windshield bag) ran one wire to to AUX input jack on the
bike radio, ran the satellite antenna under the front fairing and put the antenna top
of the bikes radio, tapped into the cigerate lighter with an acc. adapter from an
auto parts store for my power. tugged this and all the excess wire up under the fairing.

Got the xm radio kit on sale for 49.99 and acc outlet for less than 10.00.
I get very good reception and the only thing that shows are the 3 plug in coming from
the xm radio, 1 to the AUX jack, 1 antenna, and 1 power.

I like simple. For three years now I have installed small Delphi Roady xt units on my motorcycles (at least the docking station). I mount the docking in my trunk (HD trunks), and supply them with 12v switched power and mount the very small antenna on the top of the trunks with the supplied adhesive tape. The Roady modulates the XM reception on an FM frequency (you set it), so I get two major advantages; 1) I subscribe to only a single radio with XM and switch to the docking stations installed on each of my primary motorcycles, and 2) no wiring required directly to the radio. You tune your desired frequency and it is received by your existing FM radio with crystal clarity. You also have the option of a cheap set of earphones for your ears that have an XM receiver so you can get the XM radio wireless to your helmet sets when you travel. When you start you motorcycle, the XM receiption is switched on automatically and you can use or not as you wish. If you stay mostly with a single XM channel (as I do) then you will not really have to change anything as you travel. Changing stations on the XM receiver will require opening the trunk at a stop (change with a remote, but it will not work thru the trunks). Of course you can mount the little receiver in the front area wherever is convenient and weather protected and have easy control of it while driving.

You can probably pick one of the Roady XM receivers from eBay for $20-$30 with a single docking station if you watch carefully. I bought three systems at one time from an electronics store for $110 which included three brand new total systems (radios, remote, antennae, docking stations, and coaxial modulators which plug the modulated output into the radio antenna cable if desire the absolute clarity possible, etc.). I used the coax connection on my motorhome installation which gives me perfect clarity but no better than the wireless setup.

For me, cheap hardware and only one annual subscription for all my motorcycles. Like I said, I like simple.

We desperately want to add satellite radio to our trike, but can't seem to find which unit is best and if the installation is difficult. Any ideas??:Shrug:

I run a Sirius Stratus6 docking system mounted to my bars. It has all power,speaker and antenna all hooked up. I have the same system mounted in my pickup. It can easily be moved from one to the other.The antenna a handle bar mounted. I have the Kuryakyn handle bar speakers with built in amp. works very well. just put it on Willy's Roadhouse and ride.

Watch the Sirius XM website for their specials. Last Christmas they offered a free radio (Onyx with vehicle kit) if you bought a $50 gift card. I already had the service in my car so I used the gift card towards the subscription cost and now have a Sirius XM radio for the trike. They have been offering a few specials already on their radios, I bet they have a gift card/free radio type deal coming just in time for Christmas.

I want to have XM satellite on my 2012 Honda Goldwing Trike. Is there a unit out there that you can connect to your ipod connection in the truck. I want to listen to the XM radio through my helment headset and also control volume and stations just like the AM/FM radio on my trike. I wonder what it would cost and if possible to upgrade my existing system with one that has satellite radio and GPS.

When we got a new car last April we got 3 free months Sirius. When I didn't continue they called and offered me 6 more months for a little less than $5/month. Cancelled when it was over, and they offered another 6 months for the same price. That is only in the car. I know a lot of folks that love it and that is great for them. For me, I can't see paying the $14.99 per month for radio when I have 32 gigs of music on my phone, most places I ride I can get a signal for I-Heart Radio, Pandora, Last FM, etc. - not to mention regular radio.

Thanks for all the different means to getting to the same end. I'll be doing some shopping now for a satellite radio system.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png