Which U-joint grease?

Mick

550+ Posts
Feb 8, 2008
Midwest
Iwas wondering what everyone here greases their u-joint with. Any recommendations as to what works well?

Iwas wondering what everyone here greases their u-joint with. Any recommendations as to what works well?

Hard to say what works well so I bought the best I could find since a few squirts of grease is cheap. I bought a tube from Discount Auto which says it is for u-joints, bearings, etc and recommended for all Japanese cars (my Champion rear end is Nisson). I figure I'll grease it every oil change or about 5,000 miles. Grease is red in color.

Im using Mobil 1 because I use it on the trailer bearings also. But I would've liked to have heard from others what they're using and any possible issues they've found.

Don't know what brand lube I use but I do grease the U-joint everytime I change oil. Only issue I can think of is if you don't grease the U-joint on a regular basis then you're asking for trouble. Doing on oil change is a built-in reminder.

I also spray some lithium grease into the coupling of the Shadow Trike where the drive shaft slides into the engine.

On my lehman where the driveshaft hooks into the differential is a u-joint with a grease fitting that needs to be greased about every oil change. Some trikes have one,some a few number more depending on the differential/driveshaft configuration.

I use general purpose grease for the u-joint and moly paste on the drive splines. I grease the u-joint every oil change (5000 miles) and do the drive shaft splines at every other oil change (10000 miles). General purpose NLGI Grade 2 grease and Honda Moly 60% paste. Some good information here Motorcycle Shaft Drive Grease. Enjoy Greg

I went to Honda for their newest moly spline grease and used a moly in tube form for the u-joints. the spline grease is expensive but probably enough for several years at least

Be careful mixing greases.

I was in the machine tool industry for over 40 years and learned a lot about grease and oil. Some of what I learned, I learned the hard way.

All greases are not COMPATIBLE. Grease is made of three components, Oil, Base Carrier, and Thickener. The oil in grease is actually the component that provides the lubrication. The Base Carrier holds the oil together so it does run, sort of like a sponge. The Thickener does just what it says, it gives the grease a particular composition and tack.

If you mix two greases, one of three things occurs:

1. Nothing, everything is compatible and life goes on.

2. The carriers react together and dissolve, leaving the oil to run out the components it was lubricating. Eventually the moving machine components dry up, make noise, and seize.

3. The carriers react together and dry up, turning into a dry powder, similar to fine sand. This is the worst and causes the most damage. The mechanical components must be taken apart and totally cleaned or replaced.

If you do not know if the new grease is compatible with the existing grease, you should clean out the old grease and purge the fittings and lines. Then make a of note of the new grease and stick with it.

There are several documents on the internet verifying what I just stated. Many are at the engineering level. The easiest to understand is by "Bob is the Oil Guy." Pay close attention to the last couple of sentences. Here's the link: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/grease-compatibility-chart-and-info.319785/

U joints don't need to be greased. They are sealed

Not all joints are sealed, Moog is one example of having grease fittings

61N3CPwss9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have two grease jirks under my driveshaft, that I shoot a dab of grease into before the season starts..

Roadsmith model / 2010 Honda Goldwing

(ps: thanks for the reminder/my TRIKE is up on jack(s) in my garage, ALL COVERED OVER w/ a breathable blanket, covering it and a battery maintainer plugged into my battery...

I'm going to shoot more grease into it before, April 1st madden voyage, when I start ride'n again for the 2024 season..........

Ronnie

12/25/23

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png