Fuel Indicator

Reaction score
I have 2010 GL1800 Motortrike and wonder if anyone could tell me about how many more miles can one go once the low fuel indicator comes on?

I have 2010 GL1800 Motortrike and wonder if anyone could tell me about how many more miles can one go once the low fuel indicator comes on?

If you run the fuel to low in the gas tank you risk the chance of burning up the fuel pump. The fuel is used to cool the fuel pump. You can try going 20 miles after the light comes on and then get a full tank of gas. For your test I would carry a 1 gallon gas can if you don't make the 20 miles. I would try this test with a combination of highway and local driving. Remember things like this vary per conditions and I also don't recommend you carry extra fuel other than for this test. FYI the 1800 Goldwing holds 6.6 gallons of fuel according to Honda.

I have a 2008 GW with a MotorTrike IRS kit and I usually stop and get gas at 180-200 miles, but I have pushed my luck to 240 miles. :)

First know what MPG you get on your trike. Then when the low fuel light comes on stop and get gas and see how much it takes. Subtract how many gals. from 6.6 gals. You'll probably find you still had about a gal. left.
When you are getting near 180 miles I'd start looking for gas, sooner in remote areas.

You are probably right, never thought of that. It would be interesting to know how much gas you have in the tank when it "runs out of gas and stops".

Quite interesting! (I've never run out of gas. Having said that it is now bound to happen.) Let's assume I ran the tank dry and the engine quit. That raises two questions for me:

1. Being in gear, does it simply coast to a stop or slam on the "engine-brake" and throw me off?

2. I have the RoadSmith auxiliary tank. After the main tank runs totally dry and the engine quits and I am at a dead stop, I guess I can still operate the transfer pump on the aux. tank. When that completes, will cranking the engine be enough of a prayer to the motor-gods to get me going again?

No when you run out of gas it does NOT lock up. It slows down much faster then if you had the clutch in and a little more than if you just let off the gas when it is running.

Once you transfer your fuel into the main tank if ihas a carburetor it will fill when you start the engine because most petcock valves in later years were vacuum assisted. So the engine has to turn a few times for the carb to fill then it should pop off. If it is fuel injected then when you turn the key on the pump will build up pressure and it may take a turn of two for it to fire up as it pushes the air out first.

No when you run out of gas it does NOT lock up. It slows down much faster then if you had the clutch in and a little more than if you just let off the gas when it is running.

Once you transfer your fuel into the main tank if ihas a carburetor it will fill when you start the engine because most petcock valves in later years were vacuum assisted. So the engine has to turn a few times for the carb to fill then it should pop off. If it is fuel injected then when you turn the key on the pump will build up pressure and it may take a turn of two for it to fire up as it pushes the air out first.

Thank you!

If you run the fuel to low in the gas tank you risk the chance of burning up the fuel pump. The fuel is used to cool the fuel pump. You can try going 20 miles after the light comes on and then get a full tank of gas. For your test I would carry a 1 gallon gas can if you don't make the 20 miles. I would try this test with a combination of highway and local driving. Remember things like this vary per conditions and I also don't recommend you carry extra fuel other than for this test. FYI the 1800 Goldwing holds 6.6 gallons of fuel according to Honda.

I have a 2008 GW with a MotorTrike IRS kit and I usually stop and get gas at 180-200 miles, but I have pushed my luck to 240 miles. :)

Sept. 13, 2012
I average about 40 mpg on my 2005 GL1800 Lehman MonarchII Trike. Yesterday I went 200 miles on the speedo and then refueled. No light came on. It took 5.1 gallons.
Motogordo:GL1800:

FWIW-On LD trips I carry 2 of those 30 ounce metal fuel bottles used by mountain climbers and AT hikers. No spills or gas evaporation

Do the 2012 just get poor mileage. I'm Lucky to get 160 on a tank then it will take 5.8 to 6 to filler up. Now i only have 600 miles on it so far, i sure hope this get s better. If not I will have to come up with an additional fuel tank.

Do the 2012 just get poor mileage. I'm Lucky to get 160 on a tank then it will take 5.8 to 6 to filler up. Now i only have 600 miles on it so far, i sure hope this get s better. If not I will have to come up with an additional fuel tank.

You're only getting 27 mpg and I'm getting 37. I'm pretty sure the 2012's aren't any different than my 2010 as far as mileage. Your kit is probable different but you should be getting better mileage than that.

Why take the chance on running out of gas. I start looking to gas up when I hit 1/4 tank.

I always find if you wait long enough the one with the right answer will reply. So far only me and you know who that someone(s) is. But one of these days I'm a gonna wait for that red light to come on so I can find out if the ejection seats work. :laugh:

Quite interesting! (I've never run out of gas. Having said that it is now bound to happen.) Let's assume I ran the tank dry and the engine quit. That raises two questions for me:

1. Being in gear, does it simply coast to a stop or slam on the "engine-brake" and throw me off?

2. I have the RoadSmith auxiliary tank. After the main tank runs totally dry and the engine quits and I am at a dead stop, I guess I can still operate the transfer pump on the aux. tank. When that completes, will cranking the engine be enough of a prayer to the motor-gods to get me going again?

If you've got the Roadsmith auxiliary, why would you ever deliberately run the main tank dry? Run it 'till the low fuel light comes on, throw the switch, and keep on ridin'! When it gets down to 1/4 or so, stop and fill up both tanks-you WILL be ready to get off by then if not before.... Ride safe!

Don't trust that you will get consistent MPG ( wind , temp , a few extra stops
An extra passenger, 2 miles an hour more , a few extra hills , that slow car you passed and yes a few extra burgers and shakes ) can change the MPG

Hey Oldbear and John - I never said I intended to run the tank dry. I said assume and what would happen if.

As to the longevity of the ride, I recently did a little over 350 before stopping to refill (both tanks). And sure 'nuff, Oldbear, my legs were a trifle stiff and I enjoyed the walk around the parking lot. And the points John makes on various things that can affect mileage really makes anything other then average MPG over the long haul irrelevant.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png