TG Brakes

Is it my imagination or does a TG stop in less distance than an electra glide?

Phu Cat

I haven't tried a quick stop with my Triglide, I know I can stop pretty darn short with my Ultra. I've had a blue hair, a soccer mom and others try to take me out over the years.

At various times over the last couple years I have heard stories or seen posts that a Tri-Glide (or any trike) will stop faster than a regular 2 wheeled bike. I've really seen no conclusive evidence showing one way or another. I have heard some riders say they don't like to follow trikes as they stop faster than 2 wheels and they could run into them in a quick stop. It may stand to reason that a trike with the addition third wheel therefore more traction (friction) will stop quicker. But a trike is also several hundred pounds heavier than an Electra Glide Ultra. The facts are about 70% of your stopping power is in the front wheel regardless if it is a trike or a regular bike. Maybe someone will do a test with a TG and an EG Ultra and compare stopping distances from the same speed.

2011 Merlot and Black TG, Dennis's lift kit and deflectors. Cat removed using SE headers.

"Wrong Forum", I know, but just for "INFO", my 1800 Gold Wing Trike will stop in less distance than any of the 1800 Gold Wing 2-wheelers I've owned.....I would assume the TG probably can too. More Braking Surface, and more Friction Points on the road......ThumbUp

I haven't tried a quick stop with my Triglide, I know I can stop pretty darn short with my Ultra. I've had a blue hair, a soccer mom and others try to take me out over the years.

Wait a minute M3, I resemble that blue hair remark :D
I don't know if the Triglide will stop quicker, but I can tell you from experience, they will stop as fast as two wheels. The wife and I were coming back from the Rivers-End Restaurant at Nantahala. We were near Murphy, NC when a big dog decided he would cross the road in front of us. I was leading and grabbed the brakes. Very glad my bike has ABS. I didn't think about my wife behind me until we were stopped along with cars in the other lane. She was able to stop behind me without hitting me. Don't remember if the Dog was a Blue Hair or not...:D

"Wrong Forum", I know, but just for "INFO", my 1800 Gold Wing Trike will stop in less distance than any of the 1800 Gold Wing 2-wheelers I've owned.....I would assume the TG probably can too. More Braking Surface, and more Friction Points on the road......ThumbUp

I'm sure the other's on this forum feel as I do Skuuter! You are always welcome in the Harley forum anytime. You have good info about all that's talked about. Much appreciated!!!:wave4:

I don't know if the Triglide will stop quicker, but I can tell you from experience, they will stop as fast as two wheels. The wife and I were coming back from the Rivers-End Restaurant at Nantahala. We were near Murphy, NC when a big dog decided he would cross the road in front of us. I was leading and grabbed the brakes. Very glad my bike has ABS. I didn't think about my wife behind me until we were stopped along with cars in the other lane. She was able to stop behind me without hitting me. Don't remember if the Dog was a Blue Hair or not...:D

There is one thing I do not worry about when coming to a quick hard stop and that is the ability to stop and not run into Ron. My biggest worry is the car/vehicle behind me. I always come to a stop with the front wheel facing my excape route should I see that the person behind me is not stopping. When I ride in back of Ron, I always watch the road in front of us and keep the eyes looking in the mirrors at what's behind us. If I see danger up the road like a deer or animal I will slow up and give the vehicle behind me a signal to slow down. I do not take any chances with the idiots on the road or the animals that live in those areas we ride. There are times that the animal will run from the trees and you don't have the time to signal the vehicles behind you, but I still practice the escape route stop that I learned in my MSF class and use it at every traffice light and stop sign. I don't trust anyone but ME!

Funny this would come up. On the way to breakfast yesterday a soccer Mom in a Suburban full of kids and she was on the phone pulled out of a driveway right in front of me.

1. A Tri-Glide can lock up all 3 wheels
2. I was surprised and very pleased at the relatively short stopping distance going from 50 mph to 0
3. It is possible to give someone the finger from a Tri-Glide

What really pissed me off was, she didn't apologize, she yelled "You were going too fast, slow down". My response (besides the finger) was 2 words, the second was YOU

I want to add to what Screwball said in that the Triglide slows in a curve WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better than a two wheeler. No more "straightening and braking." I'm very happy with how stable the trike is in nearly every braking situation.

Funny this would come up. On the way to breakfast yesterday a soccer Mom in a Suburban full of kids and she was on the phone pulled out of a driveway right in front of me.

2. I was surprised and very pleased at the relatively short stopping distance going from 50 mph to 0

What really pissed me off was, she didn't apologize, she yelled "You were going too fast, slow down". My response (besides the finger) was 2 words, the second was YOU

I find it hard to believe that a FINE YOUNG gentleman like you would do such things.:D

I've had to dodge a couple dogs over the years, people don't realize their responsible if their animal causes an accident.

I've practiced that maneuver a couple times:D. Last year the wife and I was coming back from Nashville when a guy in a SUV decided since his lane was ending he would just move over on to us. I managed to brake quick enough to miss him then show him how well I can launch gum onto a windshield:laugh:. I always keep gum in my windshield pouch and have on a couple occasions stuck some onto peoples windshields when they deserve it, this guy managed to get hit twice because I reloaded.

Back in the 60"s we used to carry ball bearings in the palm of our hand. When someone was riding our butt you just casualy open your hand and watch the bearings crack his windshield. They didn't even you did it! Ah, the good old days!

I find it hard to believe that a FINE YOUNG gentleman like you would do such things.:D

My first thought when I read Screwballs post was OMG those kids witnessed that display of anger, but then I realized the society we live in today, they already know all this and can probably teach us old folks some new words..ThumbUp

My first thought when I read Screwballs post was OMG those kids witnessed that display of anger, but then I realized the society we live in today, they already know all this and can probably teach us old folks some new words..ThumbUp

And you are right, the first thing I saw when I flipped off the lady was the faces of 4 kids in the back seat. I did censor her exact words, she dropped the "F" bomb twice before I counter-attacked.

Funny, when I was riding my Softail Chopper or the Dyna no one ever yelled at me, or gave me the finger. I guess we all look old and docile on 3 wheelers. Of course, I'm not riding on the sidewalk or splitting lanes anymore.

I would have yelled "get off your f***in' phone!" Then clean out my shorts!;)

I would have yelled "get off your f***in' phone!" Then clean out my shorts!;)

I yelled that at a young girl a few years ago in Pidgeon Forge when she pulled out in front of me and almost took me out. She had the misfortune of catching a stop light where I pulled up along side her and let her know just what you would have yelled.

I yelled that at a young girl a few years ago in Pidgeon Forge when she pulled out in front of me and almost took me out. She had the misfortune of catching a stop light where I pulled up along side her and let her know just what you would have yelled.

I am alot more mild mannered, I would has just smiled.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vencill
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png