hauling a trike on a trailer???

Minnesota Dick

Mar 9, 2012
Minnesota
I have a 2012 tri glide and I would like to trailer it in a open trailer to Maggie Vally Rally. I am looking for some advise as to how to tie it down on to the trailer, and any other pointers that you good poeple may have about trailering a trike.

The trailer is a 5 x10 open air, with a rear fold down ramp. It also has a 12 inch high railing on the front and both sides. I can lock the rear ramp in the up position with a padlock and that would make harder for some un-wanted person to remove it from that trailer at night while I am sleeping.

thanks for the inputs.

I got awheel choke from habor fright. It works good. Your tike has loops to hook ractchet straps to. I pulled trike forward, locked it into the choke, and tightened straps to D rings on the floor.

Boss Hog

I have a 6 x 10 that I have hauled many bikes in, but only one trike (mine).

I don't have a chock, but I place the bike / trike front wheel in the center of the front rail, run my strap thru the front wheel and secure it to the tongue of the trailer, just in front of the bed. Pulls the wheel into / against the front rail. I then use two straps, one from each corner of the bike / trike, to the sides of the trailer, a little to the rear. I am essentially using these two straps to pull to the side & rear.

I have never had a bike to move. I dislike using the handlebars, 'cause you can't compress the forks all the way. If you happen to hit a good bump, you will see the front of a bike bounce. Too many of these bounces can cut straps, or allow movement to the rear, in my experience. If I'm hauling a motorcycle, after securing the rear, I place a short 2 x 4 on each side of the rear wheel and nail it to the floor. That way, when the rear bounces, the tire can't slide to the side as it is momentarily loose.

Just my way of hauling, I'm sure many others work as well.

My brother hauls his HD Street Glide on a trailer very similar to what you describe. I gave him one of Harbor Freight's chalks and he loves it. In addition he also uses a ratchet strap and ties the front wheel to the front rail of the trailer. He uses four straps to keep the bike upright. Seems to work well. He's hauled it all over the country this way...

Just a thought.... I'd add some sort of stone guard to the front. Several years ago I owned a Baxley trailer (one of our sponsors) and loved it. The stone guard did a GREAT job of protecting my GL1800..

I haul my 2011 ultra trike and a 2006 ultra classic on my 16 ft open trailer using pro chocks and four tie downs, per bike. Your trike has tie down slots under the back frame to tie down the rear end with. they are welded to the frame on each side, just keep the front end from bouncing around. I use floor anchors and the pro chock front tire tie down kit. Traveled many miles in several states with no problem.

Donjack,
Happy to see your post as it answers some problems we are having. 1st needed to know what size trailer for my '11 Roadsmith UCL Trike & hubby's '07 UC? 2nd what is a pro chock? Do you have any pics of the 2 bikes on the trailer? We have a toyhauler that now doesn't fit both bikes, looks like I have to ride the trike behind the truck and toyhauler. Thinking of buying a smaller motorhome and trailer to tow behind. :Shrug:

Thansks for the replys as the info helps me figure out what I have to do.

If anyone has any pidtures of their Trikes loaded on trailers and would like to post them, I sure would like to look at them.

Good point about the rock sheild. I think that I will try and load it up and make short local test run before I try the long range trip.

I'd also appreciate some pictures, if possible. I'm thinking of doing this too, but I'm not sure if mine has tie downs on the frame - I'll have to look. But pictures would definitely help!! :)

the trike because it is self balancing is easy to haul long or short distances.i attach 2 rachet straps to the roll bars on the front and two to the rear fender under carriage.and then i set the brake.it is secured front and back to the trailer d rings or what ever else is solid on the trailer.from mn. to arizona.once in an open trailer and once in an enclosed .

I use my enclosed snowmobile trailer to haul mine.
Just run it up and in the back door.
I have 2 eye bolts in the floor.
1 strap around the front wheel and to the EB
1 strap around the trailer hitch and to the other EB
I also leave it in gear.

Make sure the ramp angle is such the mufflers don't drag or dig in going on to or off the trailer. The Triglide has a point on each side on the rear axle that looks like a chain link, this is for tying down the rear of the trike. For some odd reason I think there may be something in the manual about tying down the Triglide, I don't have mine handy so I can't check.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png