Motor Trike Trunk Release Cable

paws

Just Killing Time...
Oct 22, 2011
Kerrville, TX U.S.A
:confused: Well, I KNOW I've seen a thread on this before but after several searches and looking through several pages of postings, can't come up with anything.

The trunk release latches on our Motor Trike Adventure (08' Gold Wing) are not functioning correctly. They opened all day long, then, when we finally got home - nada! When we did get the top trunk open with the "trunk-pop" on the remote keyfob, we removed the rubber grommets around the edge - they seemed to be causing some problem. From morning at 56 degrees through 254 miles later at 96 degrees..we think those rubber grommets might have expanded a little.

The release latch on the right side, underneath the top trunk, will not open the bottom trunk. We pulled the left rear side panel off below the passenger seat - found the cable, pulled it gently and got the bottom trunk to open. Making sure there was nothing in the trunk, closed it and gently pulled the cable again - now the bottom trunk won't release again using the cable or the latch.

Can anyone provide info as to where the threads are on this forum concerning this same subject - OR - provide fresh info? It seems I read that the cable can break. But I can't remember how to get to everything to replace it or maybe it just needs to be re-hooked properly. The cable is still connected to something - it didn't just pull loose and come out in my hand.

Many thanks to any/all info anyone can point at me! Jim

I had the same problem. My installer just adjusted the latch in the back on the trunk and no problems since. Latch cable was catching on something at the latch. Hope this helps!!!!

I had a problem with mine when I first got it, the installer left something loose on the latch or something. I don't trust the feel of the latch when it is pulled so I have got in the habit of pushing in on top of the MT trunk door to relieve some pressure as I pull the latch. The trunk release cable on mine is behind the passenger backrest, but i hope I don't have to use it again.
Outside of that how do you like the new trike? Can you tell much difference in the ride on it and the Lehman?

I had a problem with mine when I first got it, the installer left something loose on the latch or something. I don't trust the feel of the latch when it is pulled so I have got in the habit of pushing in on top of the MT trunk door to relieve some pressure as I pull the latch. The trunk release cable on mine is behind the passenger backrest, but i hope I don't have to use it again.
Outside of that how do you like the new trike? Can you tell much difference in the ride on it and the Lehman?

:Agree:
The door should open with some pressure on the top edge of the trunk and pulling the right release under the trunk or pulling the emergency release cable. If you can't get this to work take it back to the installer to get the release adjusted.

The gasket around the door, when new, is putting pressure on the latches and can do this. Be careful not to break the latch under the tour (top) trunk.

Thanks for all the input. Jim was able to re-hook the cable which had come loose.

He also found that pushing gently on the top edge of the trunk when pulling the latch works great, as Scott1 suggested.

I REALLY like this trike. I'm glad I bought it - now looking forward to some good times.

As to the difference between the rides... this Motor Trike IRS is a little more cushy than the Lehman and handles more quickly in the curves and turns. They both have the 4-1/2 rake and, are otherwise the same 08 Gold Wing with heated seats & grips and navigation - AND - are the same color - titanium. The Motor Trike has ABS brakes - I don't know if the Lehman ever had it originally and they disconnected them or not - but the ABS light does not come on, on the Lehman.

Having said that, we still like the Lehman Monarch II solid axle just as well and don't find the ride harsh - it's just a tad different - now that we have a comparison.

Sorry to be so long in returning a post - been a BUSY week!

My lower trunk wouldn't open at all. I took the cover off the top trunk, buy the key, and looking at all the junk in there, I saw that the cable was not attached to it's retainer. Re hooked it and it's OK now.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. My emergency trunk latch release is under the LEFT side cover (the one nearest your left leg). Take the cover off and you will see the emergency cable for the trunk latch. Pull it and the trunk latch will open.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png