Pre-ignition?????

When riding my new 2012 TG with my wife on back. I get like a "clicking" sound when going up even the slightest upgrade. Is this pre-ignition??? And will this go away when I get the stage 1 upgrade done. It is a CA emissions bike and we are at 5000 ft.

When riding my new 2012 TG with my wife on back. I get like a "clicking" sound when going up even the slightest upgrade. Is this pre-ignition??? And will this go away when I get the stage 1 upgrade done. It is a CA emissions bike and we are at 5000 ft.

Maybe. How hot was it that day? Is is absolutely bone stock? What gear are you in and what is the RPM when it happens. Did you maybe get a mid-grade gas? If you are bone stock and it's pinging, it may get even worse if you do a stage 1.

I have a 2011 Triglide bone stock and it was pinging bad. I run High test fuel and even tryed some octane booster and it didn't help. I finaly put a PCV on mine with a program preloaded by Jamie at fuel Moto. I just wanted a plug and play tuner and did not want to do any programing myself. Word is the TTS is really good but has to be programed, sure someone with the knowledge on here will help these are great guys.Grorge

My 2010 has 10k on it and does not ping. It is stock. My suggestion would be to take it back to the dealer for a look see. Maybe it needs a map update or some other simple fix.

I agree with TheBobs, what gear and RPM did it happen, was he going up a hill, what was the outside temp and fuel quality.

OK folks. We just got back from a 200 mile trip through the mountains. The fuel is 91 octane and the "pinging" is anywhere between 2500 and 3400 rpm (all different gears) when going up even a slight upgrade. The temp was 60-70 degrees. Wife and I total weight is 370.

Thanks for the help!

OK folks. We just got back from a 200 mile trip through the mountains. The fuel is 91 octane and the "pinging" is anywhere between 2500 and 3400 rpm (all different gears) when going up even a slight upgrade. The temp was 60-70 degrees. Wife and I total weight is 370.

Thanks for the help!

It shouldn't be pinging in that area, just for the heck of it you could look for something that has come loose like a exhaust heat shield clamp. If you can't find anything loose I'd take it to the dealer.

Thanks for the help!

+1 with what M3 said.

You normally won't ping in that wide of an RPM area. Stock tune with stock parts and warm weather may give you some pinging in a tight band near 2900 rpm, but it won't be bad and the ECU can usually fix the problem and adjust the timing back automatically and remember it for a moderate time period. So if it's persistent, then you either have something loose or something else you need the shop to take a peek at. It can't hurt to call ahead to the shop, get the trike nice and hot, and let a tech take it out on a test drive. Just don't take it in there without getting it nice and warm first. Gotta help imitate the situation you are experiencing the sound in so they can duplicate it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Finally got it back to the dealer. Funny thing, when I first talked to the service writer while I was making the appointment, he had never heard of a trike "pinging". A week later when I took it in, the same service writer said that they always have this problem with trikes??? I told them they needed to put 2 people on the trike and ride up an incline to hear this pinging. They were all for it until I went to pick it up and they said it was against their insurance to ride double. The final verdict was the tech "Enabled the Engine Management System" I did not have the heart to ask "Does that mean it was never on???" We will ride it this weekend and see if it is any better.

I asked them for a quote for a stage 1 upgrade. I will go with KN intake and V&H slip ons. They only recommended a chip download and not a tuner since they are not set up to "tune" a trike. What are others doing???:confused:

They were all for it until I went to pick it up and they said it was against their insurance to ride double. The final verdict was the tech "Enabled the Engine Management System" I did not have the heart to ask "Does that mean it was never on???" We will ride it this weekend and see if it is any better.

I asked them for a quote for a stage 1 upgrade. I will go with KN intake and V&H slip ons. They only recommended a chip download and not a tuner since they are not set up to "tune" a trike. What are others doing???:confused:

What a load of crap! I think it's time to find another dealer/service dept. :Shrug:

SE air boxes and slip on mufflers on both trikes. Both got downloads, no tuners. Trikes run great, plugs are a chocolate brown, and we don't have any heating problems. Our dealer did the downloads on both bikes freebie when we bought the intake and exhaust.

thanx for all the comments so far. I am confused by the dealers comment about not being able to set up a trike with a tuner. From what he said, the bike/trike needs to be adjusted on a dyno and theres is not set up for the trike 2 rear wheels. I can't believe almost any shop has a trike dyno so how are they getting set up??????

thanx for all the comments so far. I am confused by the dealers comment about not being able to set up a trike with a tuner. From what he said, the bike/trike needs to be adjusted on a dyno and theres is not set up for the trike 2 rear wheels. I can't believe almost any shop has a trike dyno so how are they getting set up??????

Shops with a Trike dyno are rare, they don't want to spend the extra money to expand the size of the existing area the dyno is located in and the extra $7,000 to add the trike setup to their dyno. There are also a good many shops that have older equipment that will not upgrade to trike capability.

When a dealer states they can't set up a trike with a tuner it is because they don't have a clue. They only know one trick and that is on a dyno vs the street.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png