3m brand fender tape

You can find 3M double sided tape at the auto parts store. It comes in different widths and is hard to cut if you get the wrong width. Get the size that fits. Make sure that you clean the area with alcohol before you put the tape on. One trick is to keep the red plastic backing longer than the tape on the roll. Cut the tape under the plastic. This way you have the plastic end so you can peel it off easier.

Make sure you heed your trike manufacturer's warning about the paint...I am waiting 90 days, per CSC's instructions, to allow the paint to cure before applying wax or 3M film to the trike body.

Amazon.com has great prices on 3M film...

If you are looking for the 3M sheet film to protect the fender from debres than I got mine from Cyclemax
Honda Goldwing Parts & Honda Goldwing Accessories - Search Results
I haven't put it on mine as yet but I have been told that if you follow the directions and cut it to fit than it is not much trouble.

Oldwing1, thanks for the source for 3M sheet film. I already have it on my fenders from the installer of the trike kit but needs replacing. How do you remove the old one? Can I simply peal it off? By the way my trike installer wants $75 to replace and you're web site is considerably less.

Shimpy, I have not installed it yet on mine as I have to wait for the paint to cure before I do, but, I would assume, that using either the alcohol in a spray bottle or the dish detergent in a spray bottle, would loosen it up and break the suction created between the film and paint. Those 2 solutions were recommended by 3M to install it, so I guess it could also be used to remove it since it is not glued to the paint. Mabe someone else with more experience with it can shed more light than I. If so, I will be watching this thread in the hopes that I can learn something too.
Charlie

Shimpy, I have not installed it yet on mine as I have to wait for the paint to cure before I do, but, I would assume, that using either the alcohol in a spray bottle or the dish detergent in a spray bottle, would loosen it up and break the suction created between the film and paint. Those 2 solutions were recommended by 3M to install it, so I guess it could also be used to remove it since it is not glued to the paint. Mabe someone else with more experience with it can shed more light than I. If so, I will be watching this thread in the hopes that I can learn something too.
Charlie

Sounds good. By the way when I had mine triked, I took it in Tuesday morning and it was ready to be picked up Friday afternoon with the 3M installed. That paint was only 4 days old. I hope the paint doesn't come off with the old 3M when I replace it. The installer keeps Champion kits in stock and when I brought my bike in he called his painter and told him not to paint the kit he just brought to him yellow, but black pearl, so I know the paint was fresh.

Removing film? Wait until a hot day and it will peel right off....alcohol and/or water/detergent are what is used to install but won't help removal.

Just a FWIW...if you are applying on a surface that only curves one way it's simple....if it curves in two directions (as on a fender) you must stretch the film to make it conform to the curves - professionals make it look so easy
(it's not!)...I wasted a lot of film trying to make it conform, now just leave it to the pro's.:gah:
Most painters encourage waiting to apply film until paint has cured because the film can trap the evaporating "volatiles" during curing and cause the paint to cloud....

I called Motor Trike today and asked the lady who answered the phone about whether or not it was safe to apply the tape as soon as I got my trike and she said yes...not sure she knew what she was talking about because she said the paint is cured before it leaves the shop? Its painted and shipped within 3 days????

Question: I know the film is clear, but after the film has been on for a while and you want to peel it off - will the paint underneath the film be a slightly different shade from the area that was not covered? Thanks, Carla

Charlie

The pros use a blow drier to remove the film There is an adhesvive on one side of the film. I had to have the film replaced on one of my fenders and it came off fairly easily with the use of a blow drier.

I use rubbing alcolol on the surface of the film if I want to remove scuff marks.

Removing film? Wait until a hot day and it will peel right off....alcohol and/or water/detergent are what is used to install but won't help removal.

Just a FWIW...if you are applying on a surface that only curves one way it's simple....if it curves in two directions (as on a fender) you must stretch the film to make it conform to the curves - professionals make it look so easy
(it's not!)...I wasted a lot of film trying to make it conform, now just leave it to the pro's.:gah:
Most painters encourage waiting to apply film until paint has cured because the film can trap the evaporating "volatiles" during curing and cause the paint to cloud....

You are %100 correct. The film needs streched and pulled to wrap over the curved portion of the fenders. And yes they do make it look easy but it is not.

You are %100 correct. The film needs stretched and pulled to wrap over the curved portion of the fenders. And yes they do make it look easy but it is not.

Someone told me they use a heat gun or blow dryer while applying it. Like anything else it take practice and experience. Maybe the $75 they charge isn't bad, but I'd really like to do it myself not only to save the money, but make it more convenient to me. If I can do it myself, I'd be more apt to change it more often when it gets really scuffed up.

Someone told me they use a heat gun or blow dryer while applying it. Like anything else it take practice and experience. Maybe the $75 they charge isn't bad, but I'd really like to do it myself not only to save the money, but make it more convenient to me. If I can do it myself, I'd be more apt to change it more often when it gets really scuffed up.

I watched them install mine and they did not use a blow dryer. They used a blow dryer to remove the the film from the scuffed up fender. I have had mine on the TG for 3 years and it still looks good. They apply a soapy solution, apply the film over the solution and use a squeegee to smooth it out and get the soapy solution out from underneath it.

Exactly correct on all of the above.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png