HOW much $$$$

Just got my second Stallion 08 insurance bill: $500.00 this year dropped from $600 last year for full coverage. Multi vehicle discount. It is getting better.

Congratulations! Were you advised as to why the premium went down? Was there a change to the coverage provided? There are so many variables which affect insurance rates that it makes me dizzy to think of them.

I have farmers Insurance, multi-vehicle, house. Insurance cost is;
Bodily injry:50000/100000 each person/each occurrence
Property damage 50000 each occurrence $90.40
Uninsured motorists 25000/50000 $26.10
Comprehensive 500 D $53.80
Collision 500 D $67.80
Towing NC
Medicals 1000000 $53.70
Underinsured Motorist 25000/50000 $15.60
Total $307.40
Coverage is for all year.

I have a VW trike built in 2006 and have only found reasonable insurance from State Farm at over 800 a year. Two issues I have found in Calif have been the manufacturer is not listed as being registered with the state or Feds, also the vin numbeer he put on it ends in a letter insurance companies like it when it ends in a number.

When we first had The Blue Trike, a VW based TrikeShop Runabout, about the only ones that would insure it at the time was BikelinE by Markel. They do write in California, ane they are familiar with VW trikes. We had to send pictures, copy of registration, etc. Most other companies wouldnt touch a "modified auto" or "special construction". You can do the online quote at:

ATV & Motorcycle Insurance: Markel American Insurance Co.

Ususal disclaimers apply, not affiliated, satisfied customer, etc...

I think that a lot depends upon where you live, how astute your insurance agent is, and the company's experience with you. I registered a SPV in both Texas and Mississippi without a hitch and with a company that my other vehicles and my home. The place to start is with the agent you have been doing business with. She or he can help.

When we first had The Blue Trike, a VW based TrikeShop Runabout, about the only ones that would insure it at the time was BikelinE by Markel. They do write in California, ane they are familiar with VW trikes. We had to send pictures, copy of registration, etc. Most other companies wouldnt touch a "modified auto" or "special construction". You can do the online quote at:

ATV & Motorcycle Insurance: Markel American Insurance Co.

Ususal disclaimers apply, not affiliated, satisfied customer, etc...

I just received a quote from Progressive, OUCH!!!

2008 Wing Trike
250,000-500,000
uninsured, under insured stacked 250,000-500,000
collision, 500 ded.
ACV of bike

I live in PA.. $1325.

You may want to try Nationwide they were $60 cheaper then Progressive and it included road service and lodging. They seem to be growing in the biker world

Price comparisons are interesting but not very indicative of what another can expect. There are far too many variables at play when actuaries go to work.

I suggest that you talk with local insurance agents, especially the one who writes your home and other vehicle insurance.

I just got my 2003 GL1800 last week end. State Farm, with whom I have my home, 2 cars & another Yamaha FJR bike, is charging me $484 / yr with a $500 deductable. They insist the trike aspect makes no difference. I had read this thread while in the process of buying, so I tried to hammer it home: Trike NOT bike. Made no difference....at least till I have to file a claim, which God willing ain't never gonna happen!!!

I just got my 2003 GL1800 last week end. State Farm, with whom I have my home, 2 cars & another Yamaha FJR bike, is charging me $484 / yr with a $500 deductable. They insist the trike aspect makes no difference. I had read this thread while in the process of buying, so I tried to hammer it home: Trike NOT bike. Made no difference....at least till I have to file a claim, which God willing ain't never gonna happen!!!

In the Republic of Texas, at least, State Farm considers the trike kit to be an accessory. My agent wanted to know the purchase price of the accessories and based his quote for coverage on the total cost of replacement. I am not including the amount I pay per 6 month period because my cost would have no real bearing on what you would pay. There are far too many variables...

Tango,

I have sent you a PM. Please check it out.

Dave we signed the papers and gave a deposit. So I tried my agent to see who they write for. They came back with a quote from Progressive no less, $900/yr. Trike value $42,000 with full ABS and airbag. Ouch again. They also write for Foremost. They said wait till after the first of the year. Probably will not get the trike till late Jan.- early Feb.. Will also try the local State Farm Agent in town. PA. must be a different animal with trike ins.. And that was with $500 deductible collision fire and theft. And $500,000 liability. Tom:eek:

Also in Pa., the trike kit is an accessory.

Last edited:
Check out Geico and any other place you can find on line.

It's always smart to shop around. If you have other vehicles, a home or apartment contents, bring them to the party and allow agents to shop the entire package. Frequently your total costs will be lower...

Also in Pa., the trike kit is an accessory.

You are absolutely correct. My trike is insured as a motorcycle and all the rest are add-ons. I very carefully documented the value of all those "accessories" and they are insured at fulll replacement value.

I also sent you another PM with some additional information.

You are absolutely correct. My trike is insured as a motorcycle and all the rest are add-ons. I very carefully documented the value of all those "accessories" and they are insured at fulll replacement value.

I also sent you another PM with some additional information.

Dave very much appreciated! Thanks for the info. Tom :)

Just received a quote from my agent using Foremost. For 250,000-500,00 and 100,000 property, fire,theft, collision with $250 deduc., towing and road service. ACV 0f $42,000, plus $3500 in Accessory coverage.. $463.... Tom

Insurance companies are just like slick used car salesman! They will take you for a loop first opportunity they get. Remember to be very specific with what coverage you want. Get an agreed upon price for your trike, and remember full coverage for your trike isn't like for your car. They don't pay your medical bills if you go down! You need extra coverage for that. I know first hand!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png