Fork spring help

Hi All,
I have a 2009 gl1800 with a Hannigan trike kit. The front end is lower than I wish.
It has stock springs which I want to replace with either Traxxion or Progressive springs.
Can anyone with experience recommend one brand or the other to raise the front and still give a reasonably smooth ride?
Thanks in advance folks.
Deadeye

OK, let me address "Smooth".....I have Progressives in mine and really love em'......I didn't add them necessarily for "smoothness", I added them for firmness because I live in an Area that has super twisty country back roads, mountain roads, and ridge roads. They help me transition curves much quicker, track better, and if the occasion arises, a lot less Frontend brake dive. Contrary to what a lot of Riders think, it actually absorbs bumps, stutter bumps, and even pot holes better now than with the stockers. 4.5 Raked Trees, SUPER BRACE, Progressive Springs, 1" Internal Spacers, and I'm a "Totally Happy Camper".....oh yeah, and for my "intended use and gains", it is much SMOOTHER.....ThumbUp***

***2010 Gold Wing 1800 - Motor Trike IRS

I have the Traxxion 1.2 springs. The springs are straight rate springs like the original Honda springs. I also installed Bel-Ray 15wt. fork oil and disabled the Anti-dive valve with a shim. The bike gained about 1" in height at the most and the ride seams to be OK, but I haven't put very many miles on yet to say how the ride is. I have read that you can get stock springs for less than $20 and add a longer spacer to bring up the front end. Here is the link to Traxxion Fork Spring Kit by Traxxion Dynamics, Honda GL1800 for your enjoyment.

The spacers are either supplied at length or you will have to calculate the length by the method they give you. Spacers set the preload, and thusly the sag. I have race tech 1.0 springs (linear wound) and use Mobil1 Syn ATF. Stock springs are progressively wound. You may gain a little in height by increasing spring rate and/or preload. Most rake kits come with fork extensions, some don't. If height is what your after, I would install fork extensions. Depending on what you want to accomplish determines type and rate of spring, fluid weight, preload and any other mods you install (valving etc..). I am very happy with my setup, gives a great ride and handles very well. There will always be flex and push on the front end of a trike, it's the nature of the beast.

Hi All,
I have a 2009 gl1800 with a Hannigan trike kit. The front end is lower than I wish.
It has stock springs which I want to replace with either Traxxion or Progressive springs.
Can anyone with experience recommend one brand or the other to raise the front and still give a reasonably smooth ride?
Thanks in advance folks.
Deadeye

Deadeye,

Did you look at the Hannigan info. All trike have to have heavy duty springs and spacers@ $125.
Are you sure your didn't have these things done?

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

I agree with Lectric. If raising your front end is your goal you should put on fork extensions, not stiffer springs. Stiffer springs are a good idea for the reasons mentioned above, but not for raising the front end.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png