Roadhawk Charging Problem ?

Reaction score
Thanx to everyone for the help so far.

The RH is now oil leak free.

When I got the bike, the battery would not "hold" a charge, so I put in a new battery about 1 -2 weeks ago, top of the line. I rode the bike over the weekend, and parked it Tues. because of the weather. I went to start it and the battery was dead. No lights left on, nothing,.

When I was riding, the ammeter was reading about 12.5 volts when charging. Should this be higher? Or could it be an alternator - generator problem, or even something else.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2 bb

Should have 14+ volts when running.
At 12.5 you do have a charging problem and needs to be tested.

It appears the problem is fixed.

My VW guy found that the radio, even though not on, was always discharging the battery. He said it was strong enough to drain the battery if I didn't run the trike for a few days.

We'll see how that work out.

2 bb

I have the highest of hopes for you that it is solved, but I've never seen a radio that would pull that much of a load just to keep its clock working when turned off. I suspect that an alternator check (or a regulator check if the trike uses one) is still in order.

But, as said, I hope it is all fixed and ready for the summer.

I agree with Loner. But it maybe a combination with the gauge only showing 12.5 when running ( and I assume above idle speed ) you are not charging the battery. A good system should be 13.5 volts + at above idle RPM.

They checked the alternator, and said it was fine. I also questioned the radio situation, but the mechanic said it was a very high reading. After some simple rewiring, he said I am not loosing current. I'm letting the trike sit for a few days, and we'll see what happens. Thnx for the suggestions.

2 bb

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png