Real-time GPS tracking via the web

JohnC

Jul 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
In preparation for an upcoming trip to Eureka Springs, I've been looking for a way to provide real-time location tracking via the web. Since my wife isn't coming this time around, I wanted something she could use at home via the web to see where I'm at.

I found an Android application called "Glympse." You install the software on any Android device with a built-in GPS. Then, using your device, you can send a web link (URL) to anyone you desire. The recipient doesn't need special software or an account of any kind, just a web browser to access the link you share via SMS, email, Twitter, or Facebook.

From their web browser, the viewer can see your current location, direction of travel, how fast you're going (oops!), and when you're expected to arrive at your destination. The viewer can also view a satellite map instead of a regular street map if they desire.

The best part of the software is it's completely free. There are no registration fees, licensing, or pop-up advertisements or anything of that sort. The only drawback is that the software will only send your GPS location for a maximum of four hours at a time, unless you remember to go into your device and extend the tracking beacon manually.

This one shortcoming aside, for the price I think the application is pretty slick and it will give my wife a little piece of mind as well as some fun as she tracks me and the posse on our ride to Eureka Springs next month.

Screenshot of phone:
glympse_02.jpg

Screenshot of web browser:
2010-10-07_125249.jpg

I am not sure but you may be able to do the same thing with Google maps and Latitude. You can select the contacts to notify from your contact list or Facebook but it may have a time-out problem also. I purchased an Android to use as a small PC while away on the bike to check email and check the security system at home. I don't have a phone connection to it, I just use WIFI. We use Verizon prepaid and I have been considering getting another prepaid number for this phone. I found a map program that works offline, not as good as Microsoft streets & trips but it works. Its called MapDroyd. I have a 32gb SD card so lots of storage and downloaded maps for entire US to use offline.

We look after my wifes sister who has Alzheimer's. She still drives a little but only in rural areas. She lives in a very small rural town nearby and as long as we help her with meds she does real good. I would like a way to check where her cell phone is online, she uses AT&T system. Sprint offers that feature but I haven't checked with AT&T yet. She knows if she has a problem she will lose those driving privileges and is really careful to protect it. A couple years ago before we started taking care of her she was house sitting for a niece near Amarillo. She went into town and got lost on the way home and wound up at a neighbors house thinking she was home and trying to get in the house. The owner called the sheriff and after hearing her story and making a couple calls to verify her story they helped her find the right house. Only in Texas. She was plenty pissed and embarrassed over that incident. Kinda sad, she is only 62. I thought about getting something like the lojack device but that really isn't the answer. Anyway, if you know of something that might do the trick I would like to know about it.

I use the Google Latitudes when crossing country. my parents have fun tracking me and guessing where I am stopping for nights. Never had any problem with timing out.

what a good idea.. i never new this existed, or rather never thought about it.. would have been good to know this a few months ago lol.
still theres always next time.
cheers

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png