Rat rod/Harley/tadpole trike project/idea

May 8, 2012
CA, USA
Lots of hash marks huh?!
While others like to think outside the box with trikes, I like to just think of my own boxes altogether.

Like the title says, my idea involves a truck cab maybe '29-30's ish, I beam front, hairpin links, etc etc. Out back would be a Harley setup. Throw in some tall white walls and whoo la....freak.

I realize weight is a concern so would probably use a track T fiberglass body from Speedway, aluminum I beams with aluminum drums, steering box, seats/frame and maybe even frame rails (boxed tube). Yeah, might cost a bit, but I can manage.

Where can I find info on tadpole geometry? I'm curious about things like caster, ackerman, front axle width vs. length, cooling etc.. Has anyone built this style before that didn't look like a death trap?

thanks in advance.

Welcome to TrikeTalk! WOW!!!! what you are describing sounds like quite a 3-wheeled ride; very unique and special. I can't help you with the design and engineering, but I sure would like to see pictures of the progress when you get started on it :D

Have you considered starting with a VW Beetle frame (circa 1968-1973)? Front beam with torsion bar, steering, brakes, suspension all built in. Transitions to a floorplan, so you have pedals built in. Dependable, cheap and easy to fab. Overall width, depending on wheel/tire combinations, can be 58 to 64 inches.

I've worked aircooled VWs into many, many fun configurations since the 60's and can attest to the flexibility and cost-effectiveness of their components.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png