Frame Strenghening

Aug 3, 2009
Palmyra, Mo.
I am going to convert my 2007 Heritage Softail to a Trike using a DNA Swingarm and Axle. Does any one know if I will need to strenghen my frame and if so any ideas on how to do it. Thanks for any info on the subject.

I am going to convert my 2007 Heritage Softail to a Trike using a DNA Swingarm and Axle. Does any one know if I will need to strenghen my frame and if so any ideas on how to do it. Thanks for any info on the subject.

The frame of the Softail is pretty stout and should need no add on strengthening since the swingarm bolts direct to the frame. I would make sure that the cross tie that bolts in after installation is kept tight at all times. The twisting and turning that the swingarm will want to do are kept in control by this cross tie.

The early Dyna Evo's need a torque arm because of the mounting of the engine, swingarm and seperate transmission. They would break the inner primary and break the front pipe against the right downtube if you were too rough on them or overloaded them. The 2007 - earlier FLT-FLH required upper engine stabilizer supports because they will rip the upper stabilizer bracket off the backbone.

Remember when your Softail was designed in Milwaukee they didn't take into consideration it was going to be a trike and subsequently there are some modifications that need to be done to some motorcycles so tha they and the rider can handle the stresses created by a trike conversion. One modification would be a raked triple tree.

Last edited:
I plan on using a raked triple tree. What do you mean by cross tie? I haven't heard of that. Do you have a picture? Thanks for your info.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png