Leaking oil after an oil change

i changed the oil on my trike the other day. calls for 4 quarts. after riding for about an hour or so i noticed oil dripping form the air filter. and ofcourse with thw wind and all Oil All over the trike. figuired maybe the trike took less oil then 4 quarts. got home and called the dealer.. he said well, some trike are handle 4 quarts and some need only 3 1/2 quarts. soo the way i took it mine needs only 3 1/2 quarts.. WHAT kind of answer is that?? Has anyone else ever have this problem? also is running it with like 3 or 3 1/2 quarts soemthing i should do?? i dont ever want to go thru this problem again.. besides the trike all full of oil and had to replace the air filter.. that was just soaked and dripping with oil my pants needed a good washing.. had to soak it in dishwashing soap first to try and get the oil out of my pants.. thanks, steve

i changed the oil on my trike the other day. calls for 4 quarts. after riding for about an hour or so i noticed oil dripping form the air filter. and ofcourse with thw wind and all Oil All over the trike. figuired maybe the trike took less oil then 4 quarts. got home and called the dealer.. he said well, some trike are handle 4 quarts and some need only 3 1/2 quarts. soo the way i took it mine needs only 3 1/2 quarts.. WHAT kind of answer is that?? Has anyone else ever have this problem? also is running it with like 3 or 3 1/2 quarts soemthing i should do?? i dont ever want to go thru this problem again.. besides the trike all full of oil and had to replace the air filter.. that was just soaked and dripping with oil my pants needed a good washing.. had to soak it in dishwashing soap first to try and get the oil out of my pants.. thanks, steve

This won't be too helpful but I couldn't imagine there being a half quart difference (or any difference at all) unless he's talking about different model years.

Have you checked to see what your owner's manual calls for?

it calls for 4 quarts. it s a 2011 triglide. Ill just run it with 3 1/2 quarts and see what happens i guess unless soemone has any imput or has had the same problem and has solved it.. thanks

I had the same problem last year. Went to dinner one night & when we got there I smelled oil. It was all over the right rear fender. Luckily it didn't get on my wifes new jeans. Took it to the HD shop & they told me to run 3 1/2qrts. It puked out 1/2qrt out the air cleaner.They also said some trikes can only run 3 1/2 qrts. Haven't had any trouble since. You should be okay.

Most of them will rid themselves of the extra half quart, just run it with 3 1/2 and you should be good. My 2012 will do the same thing, just don't run it with the oil level showing over the full mark on the dipstick.

Don't forget that the oil cooler makes up some of that oil capacity and it doesn't empty out when you drain the oil. When I change my oil, I drain it while it's hot to remove the contaminants while they are suspended. Filling the oil, I check the dipstick after 3 quarts have gone in, then top it up to the cold mark as needed.

Between your oil cooler and a few ounces of oil in the sump of your engine case you have overfilled slightly to cause it to puke some oil. If you remove a few ounces and ride the trike and it continues puking oil then you could have a oil pump aligment issue or the breather elements in the heads need to be addressed or both need to be done.

What's wrong with going by the service manual. If you don't have one, You should get one and follow it. It will save you from mishaps like the OP had.

Here's what the manual says about changing your oil. Note number 9 in this list.

1. Ride motorcycle until oil is at normal operating temperature.
Turn engine off.

2. Remove filler plug/dipstick.

3. See Figure 1-3. Remove the oil drain plug (2). Do not
remove hex plug (3) or transmission drain plug (1). Allow
oil to drain completely.

4. Inspect the oil drain plug O-ring for cuts, tears or signs of
deterioration. Replace as necessary.
5. Remove old oil filter.

7. See Figure 1-4. Lubricate gasket with clean engine oil and
install new oil filter on filter mount. Hand-tighten oil filter
one-half to three-quarters of a turn after gasket first contacts
filter mounting surface. Do NOT use oil filter wrench
for installation.
8. Install engine oil drain plug and tighten to 14-21 ft-lb (19.0-
28.5 Nm).

9. Initially add 3.5 quarts (3.3 liters) of engine oil.

10. Verify proper oil level. See 1.6 ENGINE OIL AND FILTER,
Checking Oil Level.
a. Check engine oil level using COLD CHECK procedure.
b. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around
drain plug and oil filter.
c. Check engine oil level using HOT CHECK procedure.

Same here. 3.5 qts.
Once in a while I've put 4 in and the digital dipstick will say "oil level high".

A few times in the past I would get oil out of the filter right after high speed riding on the tollway.

Try running the oil halfway between the add and full unless you have another problem this should cure the oil slobber from the AC. I have run all my Harleys this way. If you fill to the top it will come out the AC until it finds its own level.

Thanks for all your help and advice.. will put in 3 1/2 quarts next oil change. after using a baister to remove some besides the oil all over the trike and on my my pants, i am down to about 3/4 full on the dipstick which is probley around 3 1/2 quarts.. and so far no oil .. Thanks!

I just changed the oil in my Road king and it only wanted 3 quarts. I rode it and checked it according to the manual and it was right on the stick where they wanted it. Same engine in the Triglide so I figure the same. 4 quarts won't fit.

Try running the oil halfway between the add and full unless you have another problem this should cure the oil slobber from the AC. I have run all my Harleys this way. If you fill to the top it will come out the AC until it finds its own level.

Are you talking when the trike is hot, and then are you using the "vehicle upright hot" range on the dipstick?

Thanks for all your help and advice.. will put in 3 1/2 quarts next oil change. after using a baister to remove some besides the oil all over the trike and on my my pants, i am down to about 3/4 full on the dipstick which is probley around 3 1/2 quarts.. and so far no oil .. Thanks!

I usually just put enough oil in to bring it up to the cold check level. Run around the block once or twice to warm things up then check again. If it's close to the hot level that;s good enough for me. I never add oil to bring it up to exactly the full mark.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png