Fuel Pump

Do you know what type of fuel pump can be used with the 1600 DP engine. I went out for a ride today and then had to pull over. Fuel not getting to the carb. Brother in law tinkered a bit with the fuel pump and got enough fuel to get home ( about 2 blocks) the trike stop running. He said he thinks the fuel pump is going out. Not enough fuel pumping. He took out the one I had in and it read it was a 12 v 5.5 -9 PSI..

Does the PSI level sound right?

What carb are you running? Does it have a fuel pressure regulator?

Unless you are running an injected engine case that doesn't have the mounting for a stock fuel pump, I'd go back to stock. They are very dependable.

In my experience, carbs used on VWs like 3-4 psi. Any more and you need a regulator to keep the pressure down. You may get by with a higher pressure, but it makes for more leaks and tuning problems especially with Solex carbs.

Well took the bike to a local mechanic and he was going to put in a mechanical pump but it did not have the rod. So he ended up putting in a 1-5.5 PSI fuel regulator. It was set at 5 when I picked it up and drove it home. I set it to 4.5. Ran around town for about 30 min..Shut down ran into store and came back out started right up. no issues.
Before at the stop lights seems like it wanted to shutdown.
He did adjust the carb and picked up the idle a bit.
No issues now at the stop light.

In the past I would stop somewhere... shut the engine off for a few while (5-10 min) then turn it on, but would be difficult to start. Felt and smell like alot of fuel in the carb area.

Update:
Well took the bike out today and rode the local rodes and interstate. What a diffrence. Locally in town at the stop lights engine ran fine. Did not feel like it wanted to shut off. Took it on the interstate and got it up to 72 MPH .. Could have got it up further but at that point did not want to take a chance. The regulator was set at 5.0 and I put it down to 4.5 ... Ran well... When I got home I put it at 4.0 so we will see over the week how it runs. Thanks for your help.
I did feel some front wheel wobble so I am going to have it checked out.

Maybe it needs a balance

Took the bike out for a spin today. Goal was to set the fuel regulator from four to three and see how it runs. After about 1 hr riding aorund town and shuting off the bike a couple of times ( wanted to make sure it would start) it ran good on three. I think I will keep it there..
I have a light that comes on after awhile running around but not sure what the light is for. When the bike is warm it turns on when I am at a stop light. If I put it in nutral and/or start going again it goes away. The bike does not feel like it wants to shut off... It feels way better then before. I wanted to get the engine running just right before I do the longer trips.

Now the next thing will be the forks and the tire... I really want to replace the tire anyway since it does have some small craks in it anyway.

Joey, most likely, that light is an oil pressure or charge light. You need to trace out the wiring and figure out what the idiot lights are for. With the ignition switch on, remove the wire from the oil pressure sender and ground it. That should energize the oil warning light. You can remove the wire from pin 61 from the voltage regulator and ground that wire to check for a charging light.

If you have you're idle set too low, it can cause either of these lamps to light. Once you figure out the lights, then you can figure out the problem.

The oil pressure light coming on at a stop is not a problem. VW's have very low pressure at idle. The light is often hooked to both the alternator and oil pressure. If either come on, stop immediately. Throwing a belt can blow a motor in almost no time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png