Valkyrie trike front tire

Scrounger

Reaction score
I have a Valkyrie trike and would like to run the Michelin Pilot Active based on all the positive reviews read on this forum. However I am unable to find one in 150/80/17. Closest I can get is the 150/70/17. What is a good comparable tire I can find in the correct size? What would be concerns in using the 150/70/17? Thanks for your reply

The 70 series tire will cause your speedometer to read faster than you're actually traveling.

I never found a rear tire in the 150/80-17 for the front of mine. I did replace my front with a bias ply. The stiffer sidewall seemed to help the steering. Only about 2k miles on it now, but still looks new. Just info at the link, they had no picture.

DUNLOP D404F 150/80-17 M/C 72H, FRONT American Motorcycle Tire

I have a Valkyrie trike and would like to run the Michelin Pilot Active based on all the positive reviews read on this forum. However I am unable to find one in 150/80/17. Closest I can get is the 150/70/17. What is a good comparable tire I can find in the correct size? What would be concerns in using the 150/70/17? Thanks for your reply

I have a Michelin Pilot Road 2 Radial 150/70 ZR17. I haven't installed it but have it ready to go when I get my Valkyrie trike back on the road.

Hi Scrounger...for more info go to "search" then "advanced search". To the right hand side it has "search by user name" Type in "north of 49" to see a number of posts re front tires for Valks. Not sure why you cannot just do a regular search, but this gets you there. Anyone know why the search will not bring up the topic directly?

Thanks north of 49. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I guess I wasn't doing the search correctly. I am plowing through all of the great info in your old posts. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

Just got the Michelin Pilot Activ installed on the trike. Like going from manual steering to power steering. Installed dyna beads and the ride is as smooth as the roads around here will let it be.
Thanks again to north of 49 for directing me to the information I needed to make the decision.

SCOTT1: that will be a mistake using that tire, it will handle much like the original, the wear will be better. The ideal tire is a bias ply not radial. Radial side wall is to soft..you got it now so use it . Next time go bias ply. Yes Scrounger the difference using the bias ply feel much lighter.

Scrounger, glad I could help with your sizing problem. You will love the performance and longevity of that tire.
Scott1..I agree with John, that tire will not be much of an improvement. If you have not installed it, can you trade it back for a Michelin Pilot Activ?

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png