Warning of stuff on the road?

Ozarkryder

Feb 18, 2008
Anderson, Missouri
When riding on my 2 wheeler, if there is something on the road the warning around here to riders behind is to point it out with the appropriate foot, depending on the side of the bike the object is on. We were on the trike this weekend and, as there were riders behind us, I used this method to point out some hazard, only after Gloria asked what I was doing that I realized on the trike the rear wheels & fenders block the action from view. After that I would ask her to point to the hazard, as riders behind can see where she is pointing.

Got me to wondering - If you don't have a co-rider, how do you let riders behind about road hazards?

When riding on my 2 wheeler, if there is something on the road the warning around here to riders behind is to point it out with the appropriate foot, depending on the side of the bike the object is on. We were on the trike this weekend and, as there were riders behind us, I used this method to point out some hazard, only after Gloria asked what I was doing that I realized on the trike the rear wheels & fenders block the action from view. After that I would ask her to point to the hazard, as riders behind can see where she is pointing.

Got me to wondering - If you don't have a co-rider, how do you let riders behind about road hazards?

I see no reasaon why you couldn't point to the hazard. That's what I do when traveling with someone else.

Yes, by all means point with you hand.

Most of our group's riders that follow me around have CB radios so it's easy to inform them of hazards. If the person following me does not have a CB then I resort to pointing.

Also, these guys have ridden with me for years. If I swerve out of my lane then know something is wrong. I don't change lanes for no reason......

Hazard Left: Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle and point towards the hazard.

hs_hazard_left.gif

Hazard Right (method 1): Extend your right arm at a 45 degree angle and point towards the hazard.

hs_hazard_right_a.gif

Hazard Right (method 2): Extend your left arm upward at a 45 degree angle with your elbow bent to 90 degrees and point towards the hazard over your helmet.

hs_hazard_right_b.gif

Hazard Left: Extend your left arm at a 45 degree angle and point towards the hazard.

hs_hazard_left.gif

Hazard Right (method 1): Extend your right arm at a 45 degree angle and point towards the hazard.

hs_hazard_right_a.gif

Hazard Right (method 2): Extend your left arm upward at a 45 degree angle with your elbow bent to 90 degrees and point towards the hazard over your helmet.

hs_hazard_right_b.gif

I can agree with #1 above, that just makes sense.

Don't like #2, have to let go of the throttle.

# 3 makes sense, but around here anything with the hand directly above the head means "I'm pulling over."

Seems there isn't any standard that holds true everywhere, the efforts of such as the MSF or HOG notwithstanding. Things change over time and regions. At one time the sign that you needed help when pulled over was a helmet or folded up jacket behind your rear tire. Otherwise your were just on the side of the road to streach or tie your shoe or somesuch. don't know many that remember that now.

hs_hazard_left.gif

hs_hazard_right_a.gif

hs_hazard_right_b.gif

Thought everybody (including passengers) knew this . . . one of the first things Big John taught me when I started ridin' with him . . .

I have found that most riders don't know how to ride in a group and follow so far behind that they couldn't see the hand or foot signal anyway.
In a good group ride use the radio and identify whether the object is in the Left track, right track or in the center track. Also use hand or foot signal, but I never before realized that the foot signal is probably blocked by the rear fenders. Usually road kill or debris isn't as critical to a trike as to a 2 wheeler.

I can agree with #1 above, that just makes sense.

Don't like #2, have to let go of the throttle.

# 3 makes sense, but around here anything with the hand directly above the head means "I'm pulling over."

Seems there isn't any standard that holds true everywhere, the efforts of such as the MSF or HOG notwithstanding. Things change over time and regions. At one time the sign that you needed help when pulled over was a helmet or folded up jacket behind your rear tire. Otherwise your were just on the side of the road to streach or tie your shoe or somesuch. don't know many that remember that now.

Since I have cruise control my right hand is off the throttle quite often to get a break.

#3 with left arm over helmet and pointing with finger means there's a vehicle on the side of road, bicyclist or walker and everyone following goes to single-file to the left of the road. I use left or right foot for debris on road with 2-wheelers behind me....no problems and each person passes the signals back. I normally ride caboose and forget that there's cars behind me...but I'm sure they don't want to run over something in the road either, so they get the "signals"!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png