Do you think Trikes are Safer than Bikes?

Do you think Trikes are safer than Bikes

• Total voters
I have been looking at trikes for about a year now, mainly because of feeling safer on 3 wheels rather than 2. That is why I have enjoyed this thread. I had not ridden for 15 years and felt I needed to conquer the fear of riding a big bike on 2 wheels before I switched to a trike. I looked and looked and finally just bit the bullet and bought a 2012 red level 3 goldwing. I have only had it for about 10 days and 300 miles, and have enjoyed the 2 wheel experience. I feel like I got the "monkey off my back" by just being able to ride it, but still am planning on a Hannigan trike when they come out with the 2012 kit. Looking forward to more time on this forum.

you would think that with a larger area, that a trike would be easier to see on the road, but as others have said, you still must remember that you have to drive like others don't see you.

For me the trike is absolutely safer. I am terrified of the lean on the 2 wheel and even though I learned how, I was so afraid that I went around turns too straight up. When I finally explained it to my husband he and I decided that it was just a matter of time until I missed a turn and hit something...or someone head on. I quit riding (happily) and 2 years later found my trike. I really love it and feel very safe!

Absolutely 3 wheels are safer than two. I've been riding bikes for over 40 years [still do]. I ride all year and that's where Trikes come into my life.
It snows , I just Wait for the plows to go by and I'm out riding the same day, Never been able to do that on my bikes [safely]

I think it depends on the rider,their knowledge of the bike's handling characteristics,their ability to know when something is about to happen with the bike during a maneuver,and their riding discipline.A vehicle,no matter the wheel count,is only as safe as the rider/driver.That being said,nothing is safe in a crash,especially with distracted doe does on the roads.

Trikes have some issues. When turning or on twisties, centrifugal force is trying to throw you and bike over, and a lot of effort is needed to turn the handlebars. When braking, having a single rear tire skid can cause quick loss of control. High-speed emergency maneuvers, such as avoiding a huge potholes on I75, can send you tumbling. It still beats not riding. Ride what you need. It's all dangerous, but so is taking a shower!

I bought my GL1500SE new in 1995. I've been in situations where my feet would not touch the ground, due to each wheel being on a high spot of the road. I've lifted the bike up at least 4 times, and now think I can bench press it. Luckily, after seeing an advertisement for a Motortrike conversion, I had the bike changed over 6 months later. Best move I ever made. Also, pulling a camper is effortless. Ride defensively, Enjoy the Ride, and Stay safe.

Trikes to me is much safer, lot easier to stop without going into a skid and etc, just lot of advantages in riding a Trike.

Both trikes and Bikes are dangerous. Bikes are safer for a mature safe rider and trikes are a necessity for an older rider who can't keep riding a stallion. If ridden unsafely both will get you killed. Keep your head on a swivle.

Not at all. You can have a mechanical issue, other vehicle issue, weather issue, or animal issue that can make you go down. A lot of it depends on rider and reaction to all issues stated above. Off my soapbox now..LOL!!!:wave4:

i very much think they are safer,i have been an absent rider for 35 years,had a 900 sportster when younger,i quit riding and done a long military career but riding was always in my blood,i.m getting ready to retire and wanted to get a 2 wheeler Harley ultra classic ,i took the freedom of road riders safety course for brush up and current laws and such and was ready to commit hummmmmmmmmmmmm ran it by the wife of 37 years my best bud btw,she said ok i see you really want this but do me a favor,starting going wow all the at a boys i'm going to owe her lol, well to my surprise she said lets do it on 3 wheels instead of 2 wheels,i was in reserve on this,A TRIKE GIMME A BREAK WOMEN GEEEZ,so i just wanted to feel free and said lets do it ok 3 it is,i then started pricing new gold wing trikes ouch on my budget there around 40 grand so i went used,looked online and found a 2003 gl1800 lehman trike in ohio about 600 miles away,i purchased this bike and i feel it was one of the best things i have done wow what a machine,the only thing i wanna do is bling it out more chrome chrome chrome,wingstuff.com really likes me.so i say get your trike and enjoy,and yes to answer your question are they safer imho i say yes without a doubt,apololigize for the long windeness.

I think they are safer. I'm 69 years young and I do feel a lot safer riding my trike. I know my wife is a lot happier,and enjoys the riding alot more. Be safe and God Bless You All.

i ride a trike because i have bad hips,they are safer than bikes because they are bigger and people see them more.i can keep up with the harley and gold wings in the twisties with no problem,i can bring the front wheel up at will,can put down a 100 plus feet of rubber and still feel safe.i did bring the ass end around but the roads had snow on them i ride all year here in ct.i ride a boss hoss trike

Got Back into the fresh air three years ago and aint fallen of the trike yet
definatly would have come a cropper a few times in that same period if id been on 2 wheels

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png