Do you think Trikes are Safer than Bikes?

Do you think Trikes are safer than Bikes

• Total voters
Have had the trike up on two. at that point all the drive goes into the lifted tyre and you drop down fairly quickly as the speed drops off i was pushing hard into a right hander with the camber the wrong way the trike was control able through out this incident i know am a little more sedate in the tight ones.cheers

I agree that trikes are safer for the already stated reasons and would like to add a few others... as far as handling and cornering ability is concerned the center of gravity location is very important. The CG should be as low as possible. On the three wheel platform 76% of the weight should be on the pair of wheels as that is where the roll stability is. The track width is another factor, a wider track will be more stable. These goals are limited by the basic design whether a dedicated design or a conversion.

Trikes are safer than 2 wheelers, but then I am cognizant of the fact that I do not have the 2 wheeled riding skills I once had (as pointed out by my wife). She will now ride with me and I am less of a danger to the public and to myself, and we really enjoy the ride wherever it goes. Ride "happy" before the government take that away too!

One morning going to work, I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, my knee didn't lock and I layed down my 2000 Honda Valkryie I couldn't pick it up and thats when I decided to trike it out.

Ron, that's the very reason I bought a trike. It had been around thirty years since I had last ridden, and time/abuse had taken their toll on the ol' joints.

I was considering a bike when I decided I didn't want to find myself laying under the damn thing at a stop sign, squealing like a school girl while my riding partners pointed and laughed for several minutes before rendering their assistance!

:Wrong:

Sweet ride, by the way!

I feel they are more stable then two wheels but it ends there. We still have the cager to worry with most of them will look for a car not a bike or a trike ,the mind shut us out thus we are still very much in danger of the left in front of us. And a few cagers have no use for a bike or a trike and can become agresive toward us and yes I have seen both and have lost friends over both .

I ride a gl1800 road smith can not lift the frontend but it will smoke the rears. I am a shriner and we do a lot of parades in this area and we have alot of fun thrilling the crows. Ride far ride safe. Shorty iba#35546

I don't know they are any safer.
This thought comes from recent close calls
with cars driven by clueless drivers.
After twice not being seen by drivers
in a town of 1200 population while
cruzin around at low speeds.
(in ONE day)
I think maybe the trike riders are better
and smarter due to age and experience.
This probably applys to anyone with
time on the road. (bike or trike)ThumbUp
I will be the first to admit, I don't
ride like I did at 16 yoa.

I will assume they are. At least that's what I will say to my wife. After I t-boned my 1100 Virago into a truck in 2003, I never figured she'd let me ride again..until she saw a trike up in Hd in York. She loved it, thought it was cool and 4 months later we have one. so YES it is safer. If you don't agree....don't tell my wife

Rules of the road bike to Trike are almost the same and yes people will still pull out on you ! True trikes are more stable with the third wheel but that's about it.

"Self-Balancing".....Definetly a safety plus in Parking Lots, Stop Sign/Traffic Light Situations, Gravel in the Road, Critters, Chased by Large Dogs, Tight Turn Radius Maneuvers.....ThumbUp

I am kinda pondering that dilemma. I had a trike built to see if i was able to ride again. I lost my right arm at the shoulder years ago and would watch bikes go by as life went by. I was talking to a friend of mine who has a custom bike and hotrod shop. He mentioned that i should think about a trike,maybe something not high dollar and he would make it so i could ride it with one arm.Amazingly a Voyager kit came into his shop and he put it on a 2002 Suzuki intruder 1500 and used a cable operated gas pedal to make it possible for me to ride.I have ridden for 10,000 miles and now am considering pulling the Voyager kit off as I am having steering problems and am wondering how safe or unsafe it will be...........Onewing

here are a few reasons i personally think trikes are safer. first , is you are a much larger object to be seen and i think that helps. second, is if ever forced off the road you have a good chance of keeping the trike upright and still be in the seat when it stops instead of the bike and you both lying down getting road rash or worse.

Yes, Yes and Yes again. To summarize:
They won't tip over under any of the many circumstances a bike can & will tip.
They can stop much quicker (in shorter distance) than a bike.
They will not skid and tip over in a panic stop.
They are much more visible in day and night to other drivers.
They will not tip over if your passenger makes an unexpected bad movement.
They will not skid and tip over if you encounter gravel or sand or rocks on the road.
They will not skid and tip over if you encounter gravel or sand or rocks in the middle of a corner(given you are riding sensibly).
They are much more stable on a wet or icy road.
Panic stops in the wet are much safer.
In extended stop and go traffic it is not fatiguing like a bike which can cause you to lose concentration.
It is not fatiguing when riding on extended gravel or sandy roads due to high concentration needed just to stay upright and on a straight line.
They are prone to being blown by high wind gusts but much easier to control than on a bike.
They can't fall over when you take them on the ferry and the weather turns bad.
Another area of safety not mentioned, is that they are much safer for a riders health, who has issues such as back problems - I have had 2 back operations and can't pick up a Goldwing when it tips, but I still try!
They are, all in all, more relaxed to drive on a long ride than a bike, which, IMHO must lead to a safer ride.

Now for the kicker....... I have just had my bike triked and only ridden it once so far, so everything I've said above is pure theory - but I will bet money that in a years time, I will still believe that everything I've written above is true!

Now, if I can only remember which way to push the handlebars when I want to make a turn.................. ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootsnhats
Back